For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,623 Member
    Options
    Still experimenting with how to cook globe artichokes for six people. I promised to cook artichokes for some colleagues and their partners before the end of the season and still trying to figure out how to do six artichokes simultaneously. Tonight's experiment with the sous vide wand was a failure. After 1.5 hours at 85C I still needed pop them back in the microwave because they were way underdone. At least the hollandaise sauce was good tonight.
    bk9q509tlb60.jpeg

• pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Saw the title and just want to say I love this time of year. I live in Pa Dutch country and this week the produce started coming in. I have harvested a few tomatoes and eggplant already. Because of the very dry spring the corn was late but oh so sweet. We have "coffee can" stands where the farmers pick their veggies and put them out for sale, if no one is around you just put your money in the coffee can or cigar box, if you need change sometimes you can make it, sometimes you can't. We have one farm that always grows unusual things for fun so I have ramps and purslane, lots of different colored eggplant, okra and kohlirabi. Problem is I'm so spoiled that I do tend to eat seasonally so get tired of squash in the winter.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,242 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Still experimenting with how to cook globe artichokes for six people. I promised to cook artichokes for some colleagues and their partners before the end of the season and still trying to figure out how to do six artichokes simultaneously. Tonight's experiment with the sous vide wand was a failure. After 1.5 hours at 85C I still needed pop them back in the microwave because they were way underdone. At least the hollandaise sauce was good tonight.
    bk9q509tlb60.jpeg

Steam them in a large stock pot. Load them upside down and let 'em steam. Check the water from time to time to make sure it doesn't run out. Easy peasy.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    bk9q509tlb60.jpeg

They look like pretty lil edible flowers 🌸 ☺️

Ps - every time I make Roman style artichokes, half the time they are great.. the other half I end up with a wilty soggy mess. Artichokes are my culinary nemesis I! I feel ya!
  • acpgee
    Options
    @SafariGalNYC
    Wow Roman artichcokes is something I never attempted because it sounds so complicated. I only eat it at restaurants when I get the chance.

@mtaratoot
    I don't have big enough cooking vessels to steam 6 artichokes and don't have room to store any more pots and pans in my kitchen. Hence the experiments with alternative cooking methods.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @SafariGalNYC
    Wow Roman artichcokes is something I never attempted because it sounds so complicated. I only eat it at restaurants when I get the chance.

@mtaratoot
    I don't have big enough cooking vessels to steam 6 artichokes and don't have room to store any more pots and pans in my kitchen. Hence the experiments with alternative cooking methods.

I bet you could borrow a pot for one night. It doesn't take that big a pot to fit six artichokes. I have a canning pot that probably could hold 18 or 20. My normal Dutch Oven would only hold four though. But I have another pot that could cook two, so I could use two pots to easily cook six without getting out the big pots.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Salad with halved grapes (better for slippery sweet mouth feel), crumbles of St Augur, croutons for crunch, and ranch.
    d79w8334x1ir.jpeg
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Simple, but tasty: Dry fried some thin summer squash slices in a very hot cast iron skillet, topped with a little aged balsamic, coarse sea salt, and fresh-ground black pepper before eating. Summer fresh produce, so good!

I don't know why, but that looks like the best thing ever. So simple, but I think I would eat those over anything else offered to me right now.

• mtaratoot
    Options
    @mtaratoot

Another idea that would work:
    • Use a pot that you already have
    • Steam artichokes in batches until ~almost~ done
    • Set aside
    • Night of the meal, get the steamer running and steam five minutes each in batches to finish off/get hot.
    • You should be able to do this in two batches of three, and the wait time will be extremely small
  • SafariGalNYC
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    This is boring, but it was a useful discovery for me.

During the pandemic, before we really knew what was going on or had any decent treatments, I was trying to shop less frequently, but keep any personal small pleasures in the mix where I could. One of these is a lemon or lime wedge in my daily iced matcha.

I discovered that it worked really well to buy a bunch of lemons and limes, wedge them, and freeze them in a tempered glass dish with a snap on lid, layers separated with parchment paper so they'd be easy to pick out individually while frozen. They give a nice fresh flavor to the cold drink, plus can be briefly thawed and squeezed if I need a little citrus juice on something.

It's so convenient, I'm planning on continuing this routine for the foreseeable future.

i029tyix2zwj.jpg

P.S. Yes I do have lots of freezer space. 😉

Genius 💡 idea!!!!
  • SafariGalNYC
    Options
    @PAPYRUS3 - those shrooms kind of look like a pretty art installation. 😉

Hope they are tasty too!!