For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    Chinese turnip cake (lo bak gao). I ignore the instruction in recipes to steam for an hour in the wok. Just pour the grated turnip/rice flour batter into a tupperware style container, seal loosely and microwave 20-25 minutes on medium into a toothpick pricked in the centre comes out clean.
    ltobydkachyw.jpeg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I scored a nice hunk of ripe jackfruit. Yum. (There are some good points about globalized food systems.)
    gc1fdg4jhiwx.jpg
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I scored a nice hunk of ripe jackfruit. Yum. (There are some good points about globalized food systems.)
    gc1fdg4jhiwx.jpg

@AnnPT77 - nice! I always thought jackfruit had the most interesting taste. Kind of hard to describe sometimes. Agree .. there are so many fruits and veg i would never have tried without food import. ✈️

• AnnPT77
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    gc1fdg4jhiwx.jpg

@AnnPT77 - nice! I always thought jackfruit had the most interesting taste. Kind of hard to describe sometimes. Agree .. there are so many fruits and veg i would never have tried without food import. ✈️

Agreed. (I'm glad no one asked!) The texture is also interesting. I'm tempted to say "a little rubbery" but that sounds bad: I actually find the firm texture quite enjoyable. Reasonably nutrient dense, too.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    @stevembakes

Share some of your favorites!
  • SafariGalNYC
    Options
    Hey Produce fam!

Saw this really pretty bulb of purple kale at market.. realized I’ve never actually seen the root before. Do you personally eat it? I suppose it would be a waste not to… I’m going to try it!

🥬 🤗

74h1epj9qsf1.jpeg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I love veggies. Lol, but almost all of them are cooked Asian style so hella MSG, fish sauce and soy sauce.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @SafariGalNYC, I admit I didn't Google around to confirm, but that sure as heck looks like a purple kohlrabi to me, rather than kale. Possible it's mis-identified? If kohlrabi, the bulb is the main thing to eat, don't know if leaves are edible (but would guess they are). Kohlrabi's skin can be a little tougher/more fibrous than the bulb underneath. You can eat the skin, but if it's non pleasant, peeling them is easy. I usually eat them raw, but they doubtless can be cooked, too.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    None of those veg are lined up with the proper information. Yep, that's a purple kohlrabi.
  • SafariGalNYC
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Ahhhhhh thanks @AnnPT77 & @neanderthin ! I was wondering why I had never seen that on kale.. haha

☺️

So much for market labeling. Lol. 🤦🏼‍♀️
  • acpgee
    Options
    Roast Belgian Endive. Gets less scorched in the oven as opposed to the air fryer but its too hot to turn on the oven.

wzyha34703at.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    I made Chinese turnip cake again on the weekend. This time I added too much water to the grated turnip/rice flour mixture so that it was too soft to slice neatly before pan frying. Also on salty side this time, so no soy or other dipping sauce was needed.
    z8ylrfv5saia.jpeg

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    @acpgee - absolutely love Daikon. I've only had it raw - I'll have to try this one day🙂
  • acpgee
    Options
    @PAPYRUS3
    https://cooksimply.co.uk/turnip-cake-recipe-lo-bak-go/

I use a loaf tin sized plastic take away container, brushed with oil. Instead of steaming I cook in the microwave 20-25 minutes on low to medium, until a toothpick prod comes out clean. Be careful not to scorch the bottom if cooking in the microwave which makes it hard to slice once cool.