For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    Chinese chicken and celery stir fry. The hubby says it's his favourite way to eat celery. Next time I will cut on the diagonal which will be prettier. I remove a lot of the stringy bits by breaking each stalk in half starting from the concave side making it easy to pull off strings from the back of the break point.
    atnnjbqjc5ch.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    I don't normally cook beet. Hubby bought one remembering a fantastic salt baked beet we once had at a BBQ restaurant that cooked over open wood fires. Recommendations on what to do with the beet at the bottom of the vegetable drawer would be welcome.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,234 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I don't normally cook beet. Hubby bought one remembering a fantastic salt baked beet we once had at a BBQ restaurant that cooked over open wood fires. Recommendations on what to do with the beet at the bottom of the vegetable drawer would be welcome.

Internet suggests they can be salt-baked in the oven, but I've never tried it. I don't eat beets very often, don't usually get fancy with them, just roast or boil. Either eat plain, sweet & sour dressing (like the "Harvard Beet" thing), or as a cold salad with feta and whatever else is in the fridge. I love them as a savory pickle (onions, garlic, salt, some combination of pickling spices like mustard seed, fennel seed, coriander, dill, bay leaf, etc.), but don't usually bother.

@mtaratoot, don't you cook/eat beets some way(s), or am I remembering incorrectly?
  • kbrown1527
    kbrown1527 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I wish I liked vegetables more! These all looks so good and fancy! I usually stick with simple stuff.. I made cabbage soup this week, I add spinach and broccoli to just about everything. I go through phases where I will eat a lot of Spaghetti squash.

I’m more fruit obsessed! Blueberries and bananas are a staple at my house. Plus whatever is in season. I’ll get dragonfruit occasionally for myself.. that is my favorite but so expensive!
  • acpgee
    Options
    Braised celery was a new veggie side for me. Surprisingly good.
    vpls8deo3pcm.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    I tried a new Szechuan green bean side, I blanched the beans by tossing a kettle full of water over them and draining a minute later. Stir fried with garlic and a condiment called "Chinese Olive Vegetable" which gave a great vegan umami hit. This is going to be my go to green bean treatment from now on.
    252cuszejagv.jpeg