For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Farmers market had long beans. Lummesome long beans!

fr7natulmltu.jpg

P.S. Free bonus rainbows courtesy of the prisms in my kitchen window. ;)
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Farmers market had long beans. Lummesome long beans!

fr7natulmltu.jpg

P.S. Free bonus rainbows courtesy of the prisms in my kitchen window. ;)

😮 wow! A thing of beauty!!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,623 Member
    Options
    Making pesto tonight. My basilicum plants require watering once, and sometimes even twice a day now that the weather is so warm. A heavy prune will probably reduce their thirst.
    dtnl8jas8yfb.jpeg
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Such nice, lush plants! I'm always shocked by the quantity of basil required for a batch of pesto- what looks like enough to feed the whole village magically shrinks to a tiny amount after grinding.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    This Chinese aubergine salad is a dish I posted before but tonight I used a new technique of cooking everything in the microwave which makes things a lot easier.
    https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/microwave-eggplant-with-scallion-chile-crisp-oil
    Deviations this time: I added 2 teaspoons of vinegar and a pinch of sugar before pouring on the hot oil
    Deviations for next time: I will soak the aubergines a minute or two in acidulated water which helps turn the skins very bright purple, though they skins were pretty attractive this time. I will heat up the oil for contact frying the garlic and scallions in a small saucepan instead of the microwave. Too much guesswork about the temperature of the oil when using the microwave.
    95y4pc2pd5c4.jpeg

Tasty and looks so pretty too! Anything purple gets my vote. 🤗😋
  • acpgee
    Options
    I'm going on vacation in two weeks and my profilerate windowsill basil plants which require daily watering will not survive. Pad Kra Pao was a great dish for using up lots of basil. A very easy one skillet weeknight meal.
    https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/oct/13/how-to-make-the-perfect-pad-kra-pao-or-thai-stir-fry-recipe

• acpgee
    Options
    I made wakame salad for the first time.
    https://www.seriouseats.com/seaweed-salad-recipe
    Very easy, refreshing and handy as a veggie side from the pantry when you haven't been to the shops.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 749 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    @gentlygently

I’ve been enjoying dipping into it now though. Though I still don’t think of fruit and veg as ‘produce’ let alone ‘products’!

Just curious, what do you think produce is if not fruits and vegetables?

Shame you didn’t get that pic, it sounds like she did a great job.
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    I’m British - I don’t think about produce as a noun at all… I think ‘fruit and veg’ for ‘fruit and veg’ and misread ‘produce’ entirely to make it a more commonly used noun over here. Well, I think it is a general UK language thing … but may be just a my family thing?

I’ve lived in the Sates so my mistake is even more surprising - it is not as though I did not know all about collards, and fried okra or green tomatoes, peach cobbler and corn bread and getting my groceries at the Pig. No prizes for guessing which part of America…!

Oh okay, I think I understand, produce is a word Brits don’t use as a noun. Interesting, I didn’t realize that.

Although the US is roughly 97% the size of Europe, I do believe you’re talking about parts of the South haha. TBH I have no experience with most of those ingredients, and technically peach cobbler and corn pudding are not considered produce but I wish they were, sounds delicious! 😊 And what a fun name for a grocery store, I bet the logo is cute.
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 1,827 Member
    Options
    @ddsb1111 The grocery store chain is called Piggly Wiggly, and you are correct: @gentlygently was talking about the South.

https://www.pigglywiggly.com/history/

d6vjfjt8ib8v.png
  • ddsb1111
    edited September 2023
    Options
    @ddsb1111 The grocery store chain is called Piggly Wiggly, and you are correct: @gentlygently was talking about the South.

https://www.pigglywiggly.com/history/

d6vjfjt8ib8v.png

Haha I knew I’d love the logo!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    I’m British - I don’t think about produce as a noun at all… I think ‘fruit and veg’ for ‘fruit and veg’ and misread ‘produce’ entirely to make it a more commonly used noun over here. Well, I think it is a general UK language thing … but may be just a my family thing?

I’ve lived in the Sates so my mistake is even more surprising - it is not as though I did not know all about collards, and fried okra or green tomatoes, peach cobbler and corn bread and getting my groceries at the Pig. No prizes for guessing which part of America…!

Oh okay, I think I understand, produce is a word Brits don’t use as a noun. Interesting, I didn’t realize that.

Although the US is roughly 97% the size of Europe, I do believe you’re talking about parts of the South haha. TBH I have no experience with most of those ingredients, and technically peach cobbler and corn pudding are not considered produce but I wish they were, sounds delicious! 😊 And what a fun name for a grocery store, I bet the logo is cute.

May I suggest - as a person in the North myself (Michigan, specifically) - that you check some of that stuff out? It's all produce usage, if not produce per se. (Well, corn pudding is, not so convinced about corn bread - but corn bread is good.)

Collards are interesting, really sturdy and round-ish so some uses that other greens don't have. Nice flavor, too. Fried okra is tasty, but of course fried is a little calorie-dense. Roasted okra is pretty nice, though; and it can also be cooked down more and used to thicken things (check out gumbo recipes). Fried tomatoes are yummy, but it's possible to get some of that great flavor by dipping green tomato slices in egg, dredging in flour (of any type, including chickpea), and baking. Peach cobbler? Well, yeah, a little calorie dense - but a good "sometimes" food, and other roast-y/grill-y peach things are excellent, too. Southerners aren't silly when it comes to good eatin'!

• ddsb1111
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ddsb1111 wrote: »

May I suggest - as a person in the North myself (Michigan, specifically) - that you check some of that stuff out? It's all produce usage, if not produce per se. (Well, corn pudding is, not so convinced about corn bread - but corn bread is good.)

Collards are interesting, really sturdy and round-ish so some uses that other greens don't have. Nice flavor, too. Fried okra is tasty, but of course fried is a little calorie-dense. Roasted okra is pretty nice, though; and it can also be cooked down more and used to thicken things (check out gumbo recipes). Fried tomatoes are yummy, but it's possible to get some of that great flavor by dipping green tomato slices in egg, dredging in flour (of any type, including chickpea), and baking. Peach cobbler? Well, yeah, a little calorie dense - but a good "sometimes" food, and other roast-y/grill-y peach things are excellent, too. Southerners aren't silly when it comes to good eatin'!

I’ve wanted to take a trip to the South for the longest time to (mostly) eat! I’ve been addicted to the Food Network for long enough to know what I’ve been missing haha! As for making some of it at home, I really should give it a shot. I’m learning how to cook right now with my Little Brothers (BBBS program) and I think we would all enjoy it. My husband has always been the cook in the family but I’m tired of being worthless in the kitchen when he’s gone. I definitely need some Soul Food in my life.

• acpgee
    Options
    I've been making feta and cherry tomato dip as a very easy starter. The recipe is very versatile -- tonight I left out the herbs, red onion and honey but threw in spring onion, and leftover Cambodian lime and pepper sauce. Good for dipping crudites as well as crostini.
    https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1024459-baked-feta-dip-with-spicy-tomatoes-and-honey
    t8930etewg0o.jpg