What made you fat?

Options

Replies

• RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Everyone has said it - we eat too much. What might be worth saying is that often we only eat a little too much - just 50 to 150 calories a day. Over days, and weeks, and months that turns into a lot of added weight.

+1

This exactly. Just a slow build up over a long period of time that steadily creeps up on you.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Continuing to eat like an athlete after I got injured and was no longer working out. I ate more calories than I was burning - just like everyone else who gains weight.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Cake, chips and buttery popcorn. All in excessive quantities.
  • redfish33
    redfish33 Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Like others have said: years of eating just a few hundred more calories than I burn a day. Letting my activity dwindle down slowly to nothing. Creeping alcohol - from one drink every now and then, up to a couple of beers/glasses of wine after work daily. Not taking care of myself emotionally - and physically - until the numbers on the scale got too uncomfortable to live with, and the wake up call of borderline HBP at my last doctor's visit. Down almost 20 pounds from my highest weight (which I never recorded here...too embarrassing). Just that small loss led to lower BP, the uncomfortable reflux is gone, and my mood/sleep is starting to improve. Mindful eating, cutting out most sugar, and forgiving myself for days that I don't eat the "right" way are slowly leading me to a healthy relationship with food. Exercise was never the problem, just laziness from that side of the equation.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Prioritizing the fun instead of what I should be doing (happy hour, going out to eat ALL of the time, fast food for hangovers).

Also having an ex who LOVED to cook and because he was skinny, he didn't think about the calories in the food he was making and tried to show his love for me with food. After we broke up, I had ZERO skills in the kitchen so I turned to easy delivery or freezer meals. After 3 years of singledom, I'm finally figuring what seriously works for my new life...
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I changed jobs about a year and a half ago and I got more sedentary. At my last job at least I was able to walk around a little bit and even walk to lunch. Now I'm in the middle of a business park where I can't even walk anywhere, so I got a little less active and started eating a little bit more. The weight creeped up slowly.
  • BaVIP073
    BaVIP073 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Too much booze and baked goods. I am a good baker and enjoy it. What I have learned to do is to continue baking, but share the majority of what I bake with others. That, and I was inconstant about working out. Still working on that last part.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I love food, I find it pleasurable, so I ate a lot because I enjoyed it. I'm also lazy, so I didn't move enough to burn all the food I was enjoying. I still find pleasure in food, but I have to make certain sacrifices and be more mindful to be able to enjoy it without the drawbacks. That includes increasing my activity level to be able to eat more, and being wiser with my calories by not wasting them on things I don't like much.
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I wasn't paying attention to my body. I had a job I hated and then I got really sick so I got distracted. But, those are the underlying issues. I really just ate more than my body was burning.