What made you fat?

Replies

• DTigger60
    DTigger60 Posts: 17 Member
    me...I made me fat... using food for comfort and as a means to escape... how's that for taking ownership?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    When I was 30 I went from being a very active college student who didn't own a car and walked and biked everywhere to a guy working a desk job in an office 10-12 hours per day and commuting by car who did little in the way of deliberate exercise.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Obviously - eating more than I was expending.....

In general tho - I've always struggled with that few pounds (like maybe 10) After I had kids - I gained and lost - but got out of shape - in my early 30s I was probably in the best shape of my life (karate, roller skating, didn't drink).....Then I got divorced, new relationship -then I got pregnant, quit working out - and married a chef - so I ate a lot of rich foods and learned to love wine. Had a rough marriage - ate my feelings - drank my feelings and tried to keep up with what he drank (went from a glass of wine a night to a bottle! - and like every single night - worse on the weekends) Lost the ability to moderate my crap food intake (a whole bag of chips instead of a portion - 20 candy kisses instead of 3-4) - and ate more crap than healthy all the time, along with a sedentary job and no exercise. (so a whole bag of chips every day - or a couple candy bars - EVERY day). Lost about 17# maybe a year ago (last winter) as I wanted to look better for my daughter's wedding - didn't lose as much as I wanted - but it was a start....Moved out into my own apartment last Nov and am learning to make adjustments and take ownership of my own issues (food/exercise among other issues -like debt and depression) Trying to make changes slowly so they stick this time and have a goal to lose abt 15-20# (more on how I look and feel - but you gotta have a goal! - Which is to get into an old pair of jeans I've kept!)
  • WayLessWendy
    WayLessWendy Posts: 14 Member
    Kids. And not in the I just had them and didn't lose the weight. Before kids I liked to walk around the neighborhood for hours. I never counted how many miles I walked or exact times but it would be for at least two hours a day twice day. Most days...something like that. After kids I couldn't just walk aimlessly anymore, I had to take care of them, so my walking stopped but my eating habits didn't change.
  • atgnat1
    atgnat1 Posts: 29 Member
    edited February 2019
    I just grew up eating too much. The same portions as my older brother and sugary sodas at school and no one thought anything about it. I'm not blaming my parents, it was a pretty traditional family and my mom cooked awesome and nutritious food every day while my dad worked (stay at home moms were phasing out by then but she was blind), but I think in part due to my mom's disability I got used to thinking of a pretty sedentary lifestyle as normal, and being way into reading growing up I was fine with sitting in my air conditioned room instead of going outside where the heat and mosquitos were.

I tried to lose weight even then and so did my mom but it's incredible how much more I know now about how that all works. There wasn't nearly the same kind of information available even when the internet started becoming a thing. I used to think for instance that a 'real' meal had to include a starch, a protein and a vegetable in equal measures, because that's what I grew up on.

• teahlee123
    teahlee123 Posts: 41 Member
    Being depressed from a personal loss and injury. I was a person who channeled my emotions through exercise, but then I lost that ability for a full year of being on and off crutches and having restrictions to exercise. Food was my substitute and now I am paying for it.
  • nygr8guy
    nygr8guy Posts: 77 Member
    Stress eating, not being mindful about what I was eating, no tracking. All of this combined with dieting for a lifetime, only to yo-yo and have to do it all over again.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Stress snacking. I had a very bad habit of stopping at the gas station on the way home from work on stressful days (which was almost every day) and picking up around 1200 empty calories. Cutting that out and getting back on into my running groove has helped immensely.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    I am fatter than I was because I am less active. I no longer walk the dogs (both were pts last year) or play and coach rugby, or go running. I do work much harder in the gym at lifting and believe that I am stronger but I have not moderated my eating enough to take into account my less active lifestyle. And I don't think I am prepared to do that so will stay, forever, about 20lbs over my ideal weight. I have been for the last 35 years (I'm 50 soon!) and have always been fatter than I should have been according to the charts but at 5ft 9 I've got away with it..
  • kjohare
    kjohare Posts: 11 Member
    Breast cancer treatments caused most of mine, slowly losing it which is great.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited February 2019
    Continuing to eat like I was could when I was 22 all the way through my 30s and 40s. And I have a horrific sweet tooth.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    we all gained fat the same way, eating more than what we are burning
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Cookies and beer.

Now I count the number of cookies and beer and exercise the needed amount to earn them.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Ate too much, especially carbs. I would do a decent workout and then go eat a bagel with cream cheese...d'oh!
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    edited February 2019
    Lexapro and wine. Prozac and CBD oil have worked wonders as alternatives.
  • KENGABBY
    KENGABBY Posts: 6 Member
    Sugar
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Getting a desk job was the beginning but overall it was just my 20s = beer, video games, more beer, bad food and beer.