What made you fat?

Options

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Lack of control - childhood with an environment controlled by parents (obese); exercise can only help so much. An environment filled with bulk cheap commodities typical of a Standard American Diet is not something easy to overcome when one has no say or control in food choice.

Lost tons of weight upon gaining more independence (adolescence having a part time job & into college) where I could control the environment/food choice/availability
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Depression and anxiety leading me to quit my job, so the only thing I did was cook and eat and drink wine and smoke. Over eating numbs feelings and I use extreme over-eating as self-punishment when my brain has a bad day. When I'm busy and content I still probably eat a bit too much sometimes because I just love food but it seemed to find a balance.

Having ceoliac messed with my hunger signals as a child because I was always hungry, I over-ate so I wouldn't be starving before I got a chance to eat again so it makes sense to me that I eat when I'm anxious. And I get anxious when I don't know when/ what I'm eating. Having a food restriction did mean that I always had a basic understanding of calories and energy since you spend a lot of time looking at food labels, so managing my weight is more about managing my mental state than anything.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy food, and am an emotional eater. I eat to comfort myself, but also to reward myself etc. This was fine for years as I was very active growing up, but around 20/21 my activity levels dropped and so the extra calories became a problem. I managed to keep it under control for the most part until I hit my 30's. Even when pregnant, I didn't gain a huge amount, BUT, after our daughter was born and I was exhausted all the time and it felt like I had a baby permanently attached to me whilst nursing her, I ate a LOT and it was mostly junk/convenience food. I've been working to improve that a lot since then, as well as my relationship with food and learn not to comfort or reward myself with it. It's a process but the scales are moving in the right direction and I'm in the right head space for it currently.
  • dawnymo1
    dawnymo1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    daneejela wrote: »
    All of you who have lost weight or are losing it right now, what do you think - what made you fat in the first place?

ME!!!!!
  • 13ecca4
    13ecca4 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I’ve always been overweight. I remember weighing 8 stone at 8 years old.
    When I got older and was able to cook for myself I didn’t know how to lose weight in a healthy way. I thought the only way to do it was to not eat. This always lead me to put on more weight than I lost.
    I also always found comfort in food at stressful times. So through my parents having breast cancer twice, heart problem, kidney problems, a heart attack, brain damage and terminal oesophagus cancer I just binged on food to manage my stress.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Dirty bulking.
  • foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I grew up being the skinny girl. That resulted in me thinking I couldn't possibly gain weight. Enter my 20s, beer, poitines. Enter an extra 25 lbs.
  • Amaris_uk
    Amaris_uk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I ate way too much convenience food and snacks. I was lazy and didnt move
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    What made me fat? ......I did
  • PhiChe
    PhiChe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Having a party in my mouth for five years and not getting the cardio required to burn it off. Oh, and then there’s menopause, which seems to have slown what metabolism I had. Working on changing things now. I’m minus about 12 pounds!
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Going from a physical job, to more of a management desk job, was the starting point. But ultimately it was poor diet decisions that I always had, but were covered up by a lot of physical activity from work. 7 years ago when my job changed I was 195-200, and four months ago I topped out at 260. So every year I was putting on 8-10lbs due to these bad choices. Ultimately it was the man in the mirrors fault
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Laziness and gluttony. At first I was just a bit lazy and only ate to excess once in a while. But then it became a lifestyle and I almost made it a personal challenge to be lazy and gluttonous.
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I went from chasing around 4 kids to a retail job, both high calorie burning jobs. Getting a "better" job, sitting all day in a cubicle and not adjusting my diet really packed on the pounds.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I gained weight by not understanding how CICO worked-had no clue what a calorie was, no idea there was such a thing as portion sizes etc.

Lost the extra weight by learning how CICO works, learning what calories are and then learning what portion sizes are.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    All or nothing way of eating/exercising. A "perfect" day for me would be eating perfectly and ensuring I got at least an hour of exercise. Anything other than that was a fail and I would then blow it for the rest of the day and start again tomorrow.
  • combsshan
    combsshan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Being put on medications that mess with your satiety signals. I can't just "eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full." because I never get full with the meds I take. Have to count calories. Hate it, but that's how it is. Going from an active job (house cleaning) to a desk job (bank clerk) and then getting plantar fasciitis, so I could no longer walk for exercise (my favorite form). :/