Water Fast

Options
Well I am 28 hours into a water only fast to help my body heal. I slept pretty well last night and I am feeling pretty good. Most reports say at around day 3 I should see improvement with my arthritis. I'm drinkning around 120oz of filtered water per 24 hours and I lost 2.5 lbs. the first day!

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    How long are you planning to do this fast? Fasting can be fraught with danger, as you are temporarily starving your body. Are there other dietary adjustments you make to ease your arthritis?

Also weight lost during a fast tends to be water weight. Once you add in regular food, your body tends to hold onto it a bit harder than before.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a terrible idea.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Well this is just stupid...
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Who recommended this water fast? Are you being medically supervised?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Seriously? There are no nutrients in water so what are you giving your body fuel to live on?

You are doing yourself no favors.

There must be better ways to relieve the pain of arthritis besides not eating.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to the logic behind doing a water fast to help your body heal when to heal your body needs calories.

Could you explain?
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    What the heck is wrong with your body that you need to fast with just water to make it heal????
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    That plan sounds miserable.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Interested in more information and responses to some of the queries above. Not surprising that you are dropping weight (albeit temporary) but what is the goal?
  • strick1982
    Options
    This can't be real.....
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    When I see quackery like this:

http://drbenkim.com/fasting.html

(not surprisingly a chiroquackter)

I despair for the human race..........

To the OP: there is no scientific basis for the claims made by the pro-fasting "alternative" health gurus
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Just wow.
  • johnmike91
    johnmike91 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    According to several published studies. Water fasting can be a cure to Autoimmune disorders such as arthritis. Fasting disrupts the immune system and resets it. With the disgestive system getting a break the body can concentrate on healing itself from the inside. Water fasting is also a great method for detoxification. I know there are a lot of people who do not believe in fasting for good health, but you should read the studies. Of course food and drug companies will do anything they can to keep people from finding a natural way to feel better. It's not dangerous at my size 310 lbs. and with plenty of water there is really nothing to lose. My Doctor although he is not an advocate of fasting, stated he does believe fasting has vast benefits.
  • johnmike91
    johnmike91 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    3-5 days. The longest I ever fasted was 36 hours and it made me realize how much I was eating.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    According to several published studies. Water fasting can be a cure to Autoimmune disorders such as arthritis. Fasting disrupts the immune system and resets it. With the disgestive system getting a break the body can concentrate on healing itself from the inside. Water fasting is also a great method for detoxification. I know there are a lot of people who do not believe in fasting for good health, but you should read the studies. Of course food and drug companies will do anything they can to keep people from finding a natural way to feel better. It's not dangerous at my size 310 lbs. and with plenty of water there is really nothing to lose. My Doctor although he is not an advocate of fasting, stated he does believe fasting has vast benefits.

Would be so kind as to cite these "published studies". Are they peer reviewed, double blind studies or anecdotal?

And you don't think the "alternative" medicine companies operate for profit?

My biggest bone of contention with the whole "alternative" medicine scene is that they want to be taken seriously yet they refuse to submit to the same standards of proving efficacy and safety as the big drug companies are forced to, similarly with many of the so-called "natural" remedies there's no standardization of doses, levels of active ingredients etc
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options

- What published studies?
    - Disrupting and reseting one's immune system? Seriously?
    - Detoxification is a myth, it's called functional kidneys and liver.
    - Conspiracy theories, huh?
    - Not getting enough nutrients can be dangerous at any size!

Please reconsider.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Post 'em.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Post 'em.

X3
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Explain how your body will heal if you're not providing it any nutrients?