Water Fast

Options

Replies

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    How, exactly, does depriving your body of nutrients help it heal?

Where do people come up with this stuff?
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a terrible idea.

QFT
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    MFP is used as a website for HEALTHY and reasonable weight loss and health. Water fasts do not fall under that philosophy.

Nuthin unhealthy about not eating for a day or 2
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    How, exactly, does depriving your body of nutrients help it heal?

Where do people come up with this stuff?

Post Calvanist attitudes towards food, love, and what would otherwise be a healthy body image??? (Which is to say, "denial is ever-holy")
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I generally live by "to each their own" ... but I have to ask, what made you think posting this in the forum was a good idea? You're just looking for punishment... then again "to each their own".
  • mellyish
    mellyish Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am doing a 3 day water fast myself and just past the halfway point, I lost 2.4lbs in the first 24 hours. I'm not really doing it as a way to lose weight, just to give my body a break from how crappily I treated it food wise the past week. All of you can say it's not healthy, or that I'm starving myself but you would be wrong. I feel great and am having no adverse side effects besides what you would expect from any sort of fast, low energy.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I am doing a 3 day water fast myself and just past the halfway point, I lost 2.4lbs in the first 24 hours. I'm not really doing it as a way to lose weight, just to give my body a break from how crappily I treated it food wise the past week. All of you can say it's not healthy, or that I'm starving myself but you would be wrong. I feel great and am having no adverse side effects besides what you would expect from any sort of fast, low energy.

You *should* have more energy right now ...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

I smoke. It does funny things to my body.

Think I should stop breathing for a few days to give my lungs a break from how crappily I treat them?

Or would changing my habits be a wiser idea?
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    According to several published studies. Water fasting can be a cure to Autoimmune disorders such as arthritis.

What? WHAT???

So...if I quit eating and fast, the arthritis in my knees will be cured? Really???

I suggest you keep drinking that water to detoxify yourself since you're still full of crap.
  • mellyish
    Options

Think I should stop breathing for a few days to give my lungs a break from how crappily I treat them?

There is no need to be nasty, and no **** you should quit.

My eating habits are normally very healthy but the past week I indulged far too much being with family. After this fast I won't be immediately going back into indulging again, I'm not an idiot, I'll be going back into healthy eating after this.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

My eating habits are normally very healthy but the past week I indulged far too much being with family. After this fast I won't be immediately going back into indulging again, I'm not an idiot, I'll be going back into healthy eating after this.

I honestly don't understand, why not just go back to healthy eating and skip the water fast? Your digestive system is made to digest things.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options

Oh totally, quit breathing. Give those poor lungs a break! :bigsmile: :laugh: :bigsmile: :laugh: :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • mellyish
    Options

You *should* have more energy right now ...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292

Looking at your study, I noticed this part "The objective of this study was to test the hypothesis that in lean subjects under normal living conditions, short-term starvation leads to an increase in serum concentrations of catecholamines and thus to an increase in resting energy expenditure."
    Notice the LEAN SUBJECTS part, last I checked I am nowhere near lean, granted I have enough energy to walk for a few miles, but the last thing I want to do is overexert myself right now.
  • mellyish
    Options

I honestly don't understand, why not just go back to healthy eating and skip the water fast? Your digestive system is made to digest things.

The digestive system is also made to go without food for several days if needed thanks to evolution. This is my first fast ever, this isn't something "normal" for me so don't treat me like some ED kid without a clue.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

Please explain to me how I was nasty. I did not insult you, your intelligence, call you names, or put down any tactic you are using to lose weight.

I merely presented you with a line of questions that mirrored your situation. We both want to be healthier, don't we?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

The digestive system is also made to go without food for several days if needed thanks to evolution. This is my first fast ever, this isn't something "normal" for me so don't treat me like some ED kid without a clue.

I'm gonna chalk that one up to hangry.

And as far as evolution goes...you really don't have a clue. There is a difference between 'can survive doing this' and 'is healthy'.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    And as far as evolution goes...you really don't have a clue. There is a difference between 'can survive doing this' and 'is healthy'.

This.

A body can do any number of things. Go days without sleep. Days without water. Survive full body, 3rd degree burns. Just because we "can" do it does not mean it is a healthy thing.
  • mellyish
    Options

I'm gonna chalk that one up to hangry.

Lol, I'm actually not "hangry" nor hungry or whatever other silly way you want to say it.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

Lol, I'm actually not "hangry" nor hungry or whatever other silly way you want to say it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9SfcHpYv7d6MucOTV0sxfymBVcso3rFdylqxaIfoimk4exfXY

They become irritable, frustrated, and often defensive. As this is a site where most members are aiming for calorie reduction, this happens often.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Kitty-Drinking-problem-meme-cats-drinking-water.jpg

I'm sorry, I can't imagine a water fast for any amount of time to be particularly enjoyable. I'd rather feel happy, healthy, and have energy to... you know... live.

IMO, I wouldn't jump into any water fast without supervision from a reliable doctor. But like a previous poster said, to each their own, I guess.