Water Fast

Options

Replies

• laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    This is the most dangerous idea I have seen so far today on the forums.
  • johnmike91
    johnmike91 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here are a few studies on the matter. I am not a conspiracy theorist I have just been convinced through research that it can't hurt.:wink:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110403090259.htm , http://www.bioportfolio.com/search/clinical_studies_on_fasting.html
  • eryquem
    eryquem Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Not that I'm advocating fasting or anything, but the level of alarm I'm seeing at some of these threads seems a bit overblown.

The whole point of the human body storing fat is to be able to survive periods of not getting any food.

I guess what I'm saying is that there's a big difference between someone wanting to fast for a very short period of time for whatever reason (another post was locked because the poster mentioned they were doing a seven day fast for spiritual reasons), and someone advocating long term unhealthy deprivation.

As silly as the reasons for this OPs doing this may or may not be, I doubt that a 3-5 day fast is going to cause "starvation" for someone with plenty of fat stores.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    They have a couple of other names for this fast:

Starvation
    Hunger Strike

Not a good idea in any way or shape at all.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Really bad idea. REALLY. :noway:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    No. Fasting is not a cure for any autoimmune disease. There is no reliable information that fasting helps the symptoms of autoimmune diseases, either. I work in a human immunology and vaccine development research center. We have a definite focus on autoimmune diseases. The researchers here are largely MD, PhDs who work with patients in clinics as well as doing research. If there was a hint that fasting would help their patients in any way, they would be all over it.

BTW, went to one of your links. Here's a quote from the first you listed.

"Fasting causes hunger or stress. In response, the body releases more cholesterol, allowing it to utilize fat as a source of fuel, instead of glucose. This decreases the number of fat cells in the body," says Dr. Horne. "This is important because the fewer fat cells a body has, the less likely it will experience insulin resistance, or diabetes."

This is factually incorrect. Fat cell numbers don't decrease in adults. I stopped reading at this point since it's clear Dr. Horne has no idea what he's talking about.
  • Valarama
    Valarama Posts: 22
    Options
    I don't see much wrong with a 12 hour or a 20 hour water fast... but what you're doing is what I used to do when I was anorexic.
    You're literally just flushing your body out with water.
    The weight you've lost is water weight.
    As soon as you start eating you'll most likely gain it all back.
    The human body needs 1,200 net calories a day to keep the organs functioning, MINIMUM.
    You're killing your metabolism, too.
    I would suggest stopping...
  • jkoenig1980
    jkoenig1980 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    you did not lose 2.5# of fat in a day drinking water. Sorry bro.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work. Trust me. Spent lots of time fasting when I was younger and ended up getting MS, not from the fasting of course, but if fasting helped auto immune diseases I would know. Going on a twenty-four hour fast won't kill you but anything much more than that isn't going to do much for you either.
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I practice a 5:2 meal plan... Where I "fast" for 2 days a week - taking in about 600 calories.
    I make sure that I am getting nutrients in throughout the day...
    There is a herbal tea I drink, 1 apple, 2 stalks of celery, 12 almonds, and 12 vitamin wafers.

Even though I practice a fasting meal plan, what you are doing sounds very dangerous.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Not that I'm advocating fasting or anything, but the level of alarm I'm seeing at some of these threads seems a bit overblown.

The whole point of the human body storing fat is to be able to survive periods of not getting any food.

I guess what I'm saying is that there's a big difference between someone wanting to fast for a very short period of time for whatever reason (another post was locked because the poster mentioned they were doing a seven day fast for spiritual reasons), and someone advocating long term unhealthy deprivation.

As silly as the reasons for this OPs doing this may or may not be, I doubt that a 3-5 day fast is going to cause "starvation" for someone with plenty of fat stores.
    72 hours of complete fasting causes metabolic damage and slowdown, amount of fat storage doesn't matter. The metabolism slows to try and maintain the fat stores for as long as possible as a survival mechanism. Also, catabolism of muscle tissue occurs, including heart muscle tissue. Fasting for 18-24 hours has shown numerous hormonal benefits for men (not so much for women,) but anything over that really shows no benefit, and is actually detrimental and dangerous.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Disrupting your immune system?

Sounds legit.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    No. Fasting is not a cure for any autoimmune disease. There is no reliable information that fasting helps the symptoms of autoimmune diseases, either. I work in a human immunology and vaccine development research center. We have a definite focus on autoimmune diseases. The researchers here are largely MD, PhDs who work with patients in clinics as well as doing research. If there was a hint that fasting would help their patients in any way, they would be all over it.

"Fasting causes hunger or stress. In response, the body releases more cholesterol, allowing it to utilize fat as a source of fuel, instead of glucose. This decreases the number of fat cells in the body," says Dr. Horne. "This is important because the fewer fat cells a body has, the less likely it will experience insulin resistance, or diabetes."

This is factually incorrect. Fat cell numbers don't decrease in adults. I stopped reading at this point since it's clear Dr. Horne has no idea what he's talking about.
    Technically fat cells do decrease. It's just a very long, slow process, but they do eventually die off.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    THANKS FOR THE INFO! NOW I'M TOTALLY THIRSTY!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I'm all for drinking a boat load of water to help with arthritis but, I have to have food with it.

Hope it all works out for you.
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    THANKS FOR THE INFO! NOW I'M TOTALLY THIRSTY!

And I have to pee......
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Disrupting your immune system?

Sounds legit.

I mean.... Why wouldn't that be good for you? :huh:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

[/b]This is factually incorrect. Fat cell numbers don't decrease in adults.[/b] I stopped reading at this point since it's clear Dr. Horne has no idea what he's talking about.

Maybe they did liposuction at the same time.......
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    MFP is used as a website for HEALTHY and reasonable weight loss and health. Water fasts do not fall under that philosophy.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options
    Seriously? There are no nutrients in water so what are you giving your body fuel to live on?

You are doing yourself no favors.

There must be better ways to relieve the pain of arthritis besides not eating.

I have arthritis in my hips and knees. I use walking to relieve the pain. Doctor told me low impact exercise is the best thing for arthritis. So I either walk, ride my bike or use my Nordic trainer. I don't know of any doctor that would tell you to "water fast" for arthritis pain.