Less Alcohol - March 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• AbandondedKSCharger
    AbandondedKSCharger Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Womona wrote: »
    39flavours wrote: »
    I'm doing ok, only really started trying to cut back this week so the real test is the weekend
    4/3 AF
    5/3 100 ml gin
    6/3 50 ml gin. Finished the bottle. I thought about going out for more but I always feel ashamed if I'm just buying alcohol and no other groceries, like the cashier and other shoppers are judging me so I didn't. Sometimes in this situation I would pick up a bottle of wine, spaghetti, pasta sauce, garlic bread and salad just so I can buy the wine and seem more 'normal'!

I hear ya. No one is actually judging you, but I’m sure it feels that way. Of course, you can always move to a state that has state- controlled liquor stores. That way, it’s the ONLY thing you can buy and no one looks at you askance! Haha!

@39flavours here in Kansas we can't buy alcohol at our grocery stores. I hadn't thought about how that would feel. I live in a town of less then 4k, I feel like everyone knows when my car is at the liquor store.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how to respond but I want to thank the people that responded to me with encouragement. It passed fast and I forgot about it. When I drink, my goals and motivation go out the window. But I keep thinking about my life as a whole and that I'm getting somewhere and that does the trick to not drink.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options

I live in the UK so we don't have liquor stores, we used to have things called 'off licences' but I don't know if they exist any more. I actually get most of my groceries through home delivery by shopping online, pretty normal here, but it makes it a lot easier to order alcohol without fear of raised eyebrows (except from the driver, but they don't care!)[/quote]

I need to start doing that. I absolutely hate going to the supermarket. It’s the chore that never ends. I’ve started paying my sons to go shopping for me.

Win win, they earn some money and I don’t have to do it!
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I'm not hitting my 4 AF days per week in March so far but I'm excited that I'm actually stopping at 2 glasses of wine and not sharing multiple bottles each night! In 2018 it was 2-5 glasses per night almost every night. 2019 I've hit my 16 nights per month in Jan & Feb. Baby steps.

March accountability ~6 days so far
    No Alcohol: 1 days
    Alcohol: 6 days (10 drinks)
    Goal: AF days 4 per week / 16 per month

You’ll never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine. - John C. Maxwell
    Including the last few days of February to monitor my weekly goal which I missed this time around.
    Feb 25 - AF
    Feb 26 - 2 glasses of wine
    Feb 27 - AF
    Feb 28 - AF - @ fishing camp for long weekend which is always a challenge!
    Mar 1 - 2 glasses of wine
    Mar 2 - 2 glasses of wine
    Mar 3 - 2 glasses of wine - driving this evening 5 hrs but then unexpected dinner at my sisters afterwards for spaghetti & wine
    Mar 4 - 2 glasses of wine - DH picked up a bottle dinner
    Mar 5 - AF: Don’t order alcohol on plane even though you have free drink tickets! DH did but I ordered bloody mary mix instead. Then at dinner after we landed I drank water while he had wine.
    Mar 6 - 2 glasses of Albariño (white spanish wine). San Francisco: One glass at each restaurant we explored (Hog Island Oyster Co & Coqueta 5 Spanish tapas) and NO nightcap back at the hotel!
    Mar 7 - San Francisco: Plan 2 glass
    Mar 8 - Plan AF
    Mar 9 -
    Mar 10 - Plan AF
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Having such a crap day and I know that curling up with a bottle of something, anything, will make it all feel a bit better and if it wasn't for the calories I'd definitely be doing that right now.
  • gladys0919
    gladys0919 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I just love reading all your posts. It tells me I am in the right place.
    My Mon-Thurs goal is 3 beers or less per night.
    I failed on that Tuesday night, so felt like crap yesterday, which....made it easier to stay with 3 beers yesterday. I am not rejoicing over that. That is not anything for me to be proud of.
    Also, had another sad eye opener about what this drinking does to me. My daughter called both last night and Tuesday night. I remember enjoying both conversations, but because I felt like crap so much yesterday, my brain did not put effort into remembering that my daughter had a minor surgery yesterday. I can cry telling you this... She called last night, I was excited, two nights in a row I got to talk to her...….then she said, "I thought I should let you know how the surgery went because I know how you worry". Oh my gosh my heart dropped. What happened to the mother who raised this beautiful girl. I have to get back to her! I must conquer this! Thank you guys for helping me along this journey.
    Tonight I am going to a play with female friends. I am really looking forward to it. They are all wine drinkers, BUT this event does not include alcohol. I'm excited about that. My grandkids will be arriving to stay with us for 4 nights while my son and DIL take a ski trip. So I will need to be a good grandma which will help too. Tonight's goal, 2 beers when I get home.
    Have a pleasant day everyone. Remember, we are stronger then those urges that nag us. Right @gladys0919

YOU GOT THIS SWEETHEART!!!!! KEEP GOING- SMALL STEPS!
  • eturtlet
    eturtlet Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    marcvb35 wrote: »
    today’s plan. Don't buy a bottle.

3/7 – well its been 34 hours without my whiskey. Not really an accomplishment for some but after failing at Less I am attempting cold turkey. I do have a couple cheat days planned for social events but no bottles in my house for a long while. I have no confidence that I will succeed.

Sounds like you've got a plan and moving on. You can do this.
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    AbandondedKSCharger Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    @marcvb35 Good job for making a new goal if the first one didn't work. 34 hours w/o is fantastic!! Stay strong, you've got us to help you out ;)

@Lilylady3k We were at the same drinking level a year ago. I spent about 10 years in that boat. OH myyy. Good for you for choosing water on the 5th while hubby had wine. That's strong! And giving it up for Lent....You can do it!

@BuffMom84 I love it!! Such a great accomplishment!! I see you've also moved from wine to beer. That's what I'm working on reducing now. Keep up the good work!