March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• NCK96
    NCK96 Posts: 146 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Well, the last week of March appears to be a bit hairy for the MFP Running Challenge Crew. It looks like I will not be running again today - my hamstring is still a little tender and it looks like my free time will be used taking the cat back to the vet, as she didn't eat again this morning. The vet was able to eliminate a blockage as a suspect, which is a relief (she does like to eat things she shouldn't eat) but means we get to jump back on the Wheel 'o Testing to try and figure out what IS wrong. Or she just gets better on her own, which would be nice. I'd just like her to do it before I drop too much more cash on it - yesterday was not cheap.

We also got to spend a hot stack of cash on a plumber this morning - our fancy new (to us) on-demand water heater has been acting up, which meant the last time I was able to work out I was not able to take a hot shower afterward. Only tangentially related to running but very important. I do miss the days when we had a landlord to pay for stuff like this, but so it goes.

It looks like tomorrow is not going to be the day off that I'd hoped for, but I am still hoping on getting a run in if the hamstring decides to allow it, and if I can get out on Sunday as well I will just barely hit my stretch goal for the month. I've been pretty good on walking and stretching this week so I haven't been totally inactive, but I'd really like to hit the pavement for real.

I've heard mixed reviews about these. They're already pretty pricey to begin with, so I can't imagine how frustrating it would be if they weren't working! Our water heater has gone out 3 times in the 8 years we've lived here. Even though the water heaters are usually under warranty, we've still had to pay for the labor to put the new ones in. Something has to be up with our setup to have that many issues, but my husband says if it happens again he wants to do on-demand. The last plumber said he didn't recommend them.
  • NCK96
    NCK96 Posts: 146 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I forgot to mention, I had a close call last night with a vehicle. I waiting to cross the busy street by my house, after sunset. The light turns green, I have my walk signal, I check for cars trying to squeeze in before their red light, then we start running across.

There are four lanes of traffic from my right. A left turn lane, two regular lanes, and the right turn lane. The two regular lanes have cars which stop the proper distance from the crosswalk. As I'm just about to pass that second car, an idiot driver flies up in the right turn lane, fully covering the crosswalk before she stops. She missed me by maybe 2 feet. She had no idea I was there. As she's flying through the crosswalk I threw up my hands and and yelled at her, "WTF?!?!?" She damn near *kitten* her pants. It was pretty clear she was shocked and mortified at what she had almost done.

Confession time. I saw her coming up because I've learned to give intersections a thorough look not once, not twice, but continually. I saw her coming up in that far lane behind the other cars. I knew she probably wasn't going to see me. From her speed I suspected that she'd be going across the crosswalk so I purposefully got close enough to her path that it would look close, but I was safe the whole time. Because she was negligent in looking for pedestrians, I wanted to scare the crap out her and teach her a lesson. If that makes me an *kitten*, so be it. This is the same intersection where my son was hit by a car while riding his bike a couple of years ago because of an idiot driver and I have no patience for them. The next time it might be a kid crossing on his way to the nearby playground.

Be safe out there.

ETA: When my son was hit the lady knocked the bike out from under him, he rolled on the hood and then off to the side. He had a few scrapes and bruises but was otherwise OK. It was close though. The bike pedal was bent inward from the impact. That could have been his foot. The bike was a total loss, a birthday present just a few months old, was a total loss. The gal who hit him stopped, rolled down the window, asked if he was ok, then said, "That's why you need to watch for traffic!" then sped off. My son was too shocked to get a plate number. We called the police and filed a report but nothing became of it. I kind of have a vendetta now.

This scares me to no end. I've almost been hit so many times, but now I have teenage sons who are learning to drive and I'm terrified they might hit pedestrians. A few years ago a bicyclist was hit and killed nearby, and the person who hit him, I think it was a teenager, didn't even stop. I don't know the whole story, but they figured it out when they saw the damage on the car later. It's unbelievable.

March Runing Goal: 21.38/20 miles

3/1 1.05 mile
    3/2 1.55
    3/4 1.52
    3/14 2.07
    3/18 1.21
    3/19 1
    3/20 2.61
    3/21 2.28
    3/22 1.01
    3/25 1.03
    3/26 1.55
    3/27 1.1
    3/28 2.02
    3/29 1.27
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options

It's Larry Macon, though... the Marathon Investigation page has multiple articles on him :(
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    NCK96 wrote: »
    Well, the last week of March appears to be a bit hairy for the MFP Running Challenge Crew. It looks like I will not be running again today - my hamstring is still a little tender and it looks like my free time will be used taking the cat back to the vet, as she didn't eat again this morning. The vet was able to eliminate a blockage as a suspect, which is a relief (she does like to eat things she shouldn't eat) but means we get to jump back on the Wheel 'o Testing to try and figure out what IS wrong. Or she just gets better on her own, which would be nice. I'd just like her to do it before I drop too much more cash on it - yesterday was not cheap.

We also got to spend a hot stack of cash on a plumber this morning - our fancy new (to us) on-demand water heater has been acting up, which meant the last time I was able to work out I was not able to take a hot shower afterward. Only tangentially related to running but very important. I do miss the days when we had a landlord to pay for stuff like this, but so it goes.

It looks like tomorrow is not going to be the day off that I'd hoped for, but I am still hoping on getting a run in if the hamstring decides to allow it, and if I can get out on Sunday as well I will just barely hit my stretch goal for the month. I've been pretty good on walking and stretching this week so I haven't been totally inactive, but I'd really like to hit the pavement for real.

I've heard mixed reviews about these. They're already pretty pricey to begin with, so I can't imagine how frustrating it would be if they weren't working! Our water heater has gone out 3 times in the 8 years we've lived here. Even though the water heaters are usually under warranty, we've still had to pay for the labor to put the new ones in. Something has to be up with our setup to have that many issues, but my husband says if it happens again he wants to do on-demand. The last plumber said he didn't recommend them.

It might depend on where you live. In Poland they're pretty common, and the idea of paying for electricity (expensive) to keep a large tank of water (that you don't have space for anyway) hot all the time, doesn't make sense here. Our house once had both, except the electric tank was installed wrong and they didn't use it. But when most people have a gas on-demand system, plumbers know what to do with them and you can buy quality units.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

It's Larry Macon, though... the Marathon Investigation page has multiple articles on him :(

Hmm, lots of news outlets were reporting it, but I did not think to check there.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Date...........Run.......Walk.........Pushups
    03/01........00M.......3.5M........30
    03/02........20M.......0.0M........00
    03/03........00M.......0.0M........00 *injury*
    03/04........06M.......0.0M........00
    03/05........04M.......1.0M........00
    03/06........00M.......0.0M........25
    03/07........11M.......0.0M........00
    03/08........16M.......0.0M........00
    03/09........09M.......0.0M........00
    03/10........09M.......0.0M........00
    03/11........00M.......3.5M........00
    03/12........07M.......3.5M........00
    03/13........11M.......3.5M........4x10
    03/14........11M.......4.0M........0
    03/15........00M.......3.5M........4x10
    03/16........00M.......0.0M........00
    03/17........11M.......0.0M........00
    03/18........00M.......3.5M........00
    03/19........06M.......3.5M........5x10
    03/20........11M.......0.0M........0
    03/21........00M.......3.5M........00
    03/22........00M.......0.0M........3x15
    03/23........26M.......0.0M........0
    03/24........00M.......0.0M........0 Fire!
    03/25........00M.......0.0M........3x15
    03/26........07M.......0.0M........0
    03/27........11M.......3.5M........0
    03/28........11M.......2.8M........0
    03/29........13M.......3.5M........0

---MTD: 42.8 miles walking, 191 miles running, and 0KM resting

Upcoming Races
    Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019

202? - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Glacier Ridge.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 - I would have loved to see that squirrel! They do have a pretty keen sense of their surroundings and apparently self preservation! 🤣
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Hmm, lots of news outlets were reporting it, but I did not think to check there.

So, sounds like he has run A LOT but probably not 2000:

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2018/07/world-record-marathoner-larry-macon.html

*sigh* Saw that many outlets were carrying the story, and Guniess and all that, but did not think to check there before sharing. Need to remember them.