Motivation to eat enough to bulk

Options

Replies

• jbgolf52
    jbgolf52 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    @zipnguyen: My problem is due to my stomach disease, but I do find it's easier if I keep at it, it just gets tiring to keep pushing food in my mouth.

@mank: This is my second week of making an effort to get above 2,000 calories a day and I am getting used to being full more, but it still sucks at time. I will definitely check out almond paste, thanks!

@ambick: Good that you found something you like to do, I like going to the gym and lifting heavy weight (for me). The main thing is to be active any way you can. My metabolism is possibly slow, I do not doubt that. Maybe when I get back to my normal weight it will speed up again. 108g of protein in one shake is a ton! I don't need nearly that much, I get enough protein from food for 1g/lb of BW. Thanks for the info though.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I think it's the same as the motivation to eat a deficit to lose weight- if you actually want the end product, you do what you've gotta do. Eye on the prize.
    This, but also how long have you been doing this for?
    My calorie goal is approximately the same as yours and I felt stuffed all the time to at first. Now its settled down, and I actually feel hungry again sometimes.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    The simple answer is, if you want to gain weight, quit crying and eat the dang food. There are hundreds of people reading this thread and flipping double birdies at you because they are trying to cut weight and struggle.

Now...How to solve your problem.

- Bacon Cheeseburgers
    - Large milkshake
    - Oreo Blizzard
    - Meat Lover's Pizza

Not an all inclusive list but just pick one of those I don't think you will have any problems.

ETA: Did not realize this was a continuing condition that makes it harder to eat a lot. Advice still stands though. What does your Dr. say? Is there a pill to take to make it easier or something you can take to get your calories in? Milkshake seems like the best option to get maximum calories for smallest space.

ETA2: Saw you responded to alot of similar issues. Honestly, I don't think people here are going to be your best option for support as we don't have a medical condition like yours to relate. I can put down 4,000 calories by accident if I don't keep my diet in check. Is there a support group or something you can check out for people in a similar situation? No matter what you need to keep eating b/c at your height and weight you are very underweight.
    Medical problem or not, completely uncalled for.
    This is a board for support, you are in the GAINING WEIGHT section. His problems are just as valid as yours.
    I'm sure noone from here has a go at people trying to lose weight that they should stop crying because there is people out there struggling to gain weight.
  • jbgolf52
    Options
    I think it's the same as the motivation to eat a deficit to lose weight- if you actually want the end product, you do what you've gotta do. Eye on the prize.
    My calorie goal is approximately the same as yours and I felt stuffed all the time to at first. Now its settled down, and I actually feel hungry again sometimes.

I've been trying to gain weight since last September, but only recently have I stepped it up and been actually gaining a good amount. I don't feel stuffed 24/7, but only because I don't average 2,200, more like 2,100 or lower, but it is still much better than before. I don't feel overly full all the time, sometimes I feel slightly empty, but never hunger. And ryry apologized so it's all good, don't worry about it.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I'm eating all solid foods; no shakes at this point in time. Sometimes I'll come to the end of the day, and I still need to eat 1000 more calories. I just do it. The only rule I follow is I never allow myself to get stuffed. Just full.

Eating has been less of a problem that I imagined it would be. Many days, it's not at all hard to eat the amount I need. Sometimes I exceed my prescribed surplus because I'm still hungry. Also, the more I eat and the more I exercise, the hungrier I seem to get. But some days it is hard to get it all in...like today. It's time to go to bed and I still need another 575 calories. I did a lot of cardio today. Cardio is an apetite killer for me.

Also, you don't need huge amounts of protein. 1-1.5g per pound of bodyweight is more than sufficient for most people. More than that, and you may stress your kidneys. I get that much no problem from regular foods most days.
  • jbgolf52
    Options
    I'm eating all solid foods; no shakes at this point in time. Sometimes I'll come to the end of the day, and I still need to eat 1000 more calories. I just do it. The only rule I follow is I never allow myself to get stuffed. Just full.

Eating has been less of a problem that I imagined it would be. Many days, it's not at all hard to eat the amount I need. Sometimes I exceed my prescribed surplus because I'm still hungry. Also, the more I eat and the more I exercise, the hungrier I seem to get. But some days it is hard to get it all in...like today. It's time to go to bed and I still need another 575 calories. I did a lot of cardio today. Cardio is an apetite killer for me.

Also, you don't need huge amounts of protein. 1-1.5g per pound of bodyweight is more than sufficient for most people. More than that, and you may stress your kidneys. I get that much no problem from regular foods most days.

Are you currently bulking? I try to follow that rule but at times I need to stuff myself in order to get in a good amount of calories. I get around that range for protein, normally get 150-165g a day so I'm good there. I guess I just have to suck it up and learn to deal with the stomach issues, I already have medication for it. Just sucks having to pound food, especially since I can't fall asleep until I'm no longer overly full, which leaves me exhausted every day.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    Are you currently bulking? I try to follow that rule but at times I need to stuff myself in order to get in a good amount of calories. I get around that range for protein, normally get 150-165g a day so I'm good there. I guess I just have to suck it up and learn to deal with the stomach issues, I already have medication for it. Just sucks having to pound food, especially since I can't fall asleep until I'm no longer overly full, which leaves me exhausted every day.

Indeed I am. I also eat pretty much only bread and pasta that's whole wheat. Very little fully white stuff. Whole wheat makes it easy to get protein. The great thing about it was that my eating habits were already excellent, I just wasn't eating enough in the past. I'm always right near my MFP macro targets without even trying. However, some people have wheat/gluten issues and can't do what I do. I've been eating copious amounts of bread all my life (I'm 27) and never had an issue. However, soy caused me to become very sick after eating large amounts of it for a year. Everyone has their own foods that they can/can't eat.

I try to just approach the point of being moderately full. Being stuffed kills my appetite for hours afterward, so I can't recommend it. I've done it a few times, but I don't like it. I would recommend that you make your own smoothies to sidestep this issue. Good luck with the stomach issue. Who knows...it may even turn around after a year of eating good healthy food in the right amount and working out...general health boost.
  • jbgolf52
    Options

Indeed I am. I also eat pretty much only bread and pasta that's whole wheat. Very little fully white stuff. Whole wheat makes it easy to get protein. The great thing about it was that my eating habits were already excellent, I just wasn't eating enough in the past. I'm always right near my MFP macro targets without even trying. However, some people have wheat/gluten issues and can't do what I do. I've been eating copious amounts of bread all my life (I'm 27) and never had an issue. However, soy caused me to become very sick after eating large amounts of it for a year. Everyone has their own foods that they can/can't eat.

I try to just approach the point of being moderately full. Being stuffed kills my appetite for hours afterward, so I can't recommend it. I've done it a few times, but I don't like it. I would recommend that you make your own smoothies to sidestep this issue. Good luck with the stomach issue. Who knows...it may even turn around after a year of eating good healthy food in the right amount and working out...general health boost.

Yea I couldn't do what you do, I have gluten issues. Good to see you found a solid way of gaining. I've been eating largely paleo and working out since 2007 so a general health boost will not make it go away. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it, and good luck with your bulk as well.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    @robp: my body doesn't get used to it, many days it's a struggle.

@travjess: try GNC or vitamin shoppe for weight gainers.

@cwolfman: I know 2,200 is low, but I don't even hit that average and still gain. On weeks where I've done well an averaged around 2,000-2,050 I've gained .5lb or so, but that has been few and far between.

@neadermagnon: I've been eating some junk food to hit my calorie goals, it's just that some times my stomach feels like a brick is in it due to constipation from my disease and I get pains and don't want to eat, no matter how appetizing the food is.

@bigtalljay: can't do milk due to mild lactose intolerance, even when I use lactose pills, but ice cream and cheese are fine.

@jaywalk: I have 3 pints of B&J in my freezer now and it has been helping. Like I said, it's surprising but I do gain on 2,200, it's weird. I'm hoping my TDEE is not that low when I regain my lost weight.

@ryry: dude trust me, I'd love to eat the food you listed but the last time I had a burger and milkshake I couldn't eat for the next two days due to stomach pains and it sucked. I am on medication to speed up my digestion which makes eating easier, but it doesn't work all the time. Unfortunately my doctor and other medical professionals I have talked to did not have much in the way of diet advice besides eat soft easy to digest food, low fat, low fiber, and drink calories; that's why I turned to the forums. I don't know of any support groups since this is a pretty uncommon disease. I agree that I need to keep eating no matter what, I am definitely underweight. I used to be around 145lbs but dropped to 118lbs last year. I'm doing better now but still need to gain weight. I'm hoping to get up to 160-165lbs when it's all said and done.

No offense. But sounds like a lot of excuses. If you really want to get big, you will get big.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    @robp: my body doesn't get used to it, many days it's a struggle.

@travjess: try GNC or vitamin shoppe for weight gainers.

@cwolfman: I know 2,200 is low, but I don't even hit that average and still gain. On weeks where I've done well an averaged around 2,000-2,050 I've gained .5lb or so, but that has been few and far between.

@neadermagnon: I've been eating some junk food to hit my calorie goals, it's just that some times my stomach feels like a brick is in it due to constipation from my disease and I get pains and don't want to eat, no matter how appetizing the food is.

@bigtalljay: can't do milk due to mild lactose intolerance, even when I use lactose pills, but ice cream and cheese are fine.

@jaywalk: I have 3 pints of B&J in my freezer now and it has been helping. Like I said, it's surprising but I do gain on 2,200, it's weird. I'm hoping my TDEE is not that low when I regain my lost weight.

@ryry: dude trust me, I'd love to eat the food you listed but the last time I had a burger and milkshake I couldn't eat for the next two days due to stomach pains and it sucked. I am on medication to speed up my digestion which makes eating easier, but it doesn't work all the time. Unfortunately my doctor and other medical professionals I have talked to did not have much in the way of diet advice besides eat soft easy to digest food, low fat, low fiber, and drink calories; that's why I turned to the forums. I don't know of any support groups since this is a pretty uncommon disease. I agree that I need to keep eating no matter what, I am definitely underweight. I used to be around 145lbs but dropped to 118lbs last year. I'm doing better now but still need to gain weight. I'm hoping to get up to 160-165lbs when it's all said and done.

No offense. But sounds like a lot of excuses. If you really want to get big, you will get big.

Wow, 2200 cal. That's low, more power to you if you can gain on that amount! I have similar current stats to the OP (5'9 and 137 lbs), and according to MFP calculations 2600 is just maintenance on a sedentary day. Yesterday, I ate over 3400 calories because I burned a lot. I didn't quite make my surplus goal for the day, either. I expect it to take months eating this amount to get back in the 150s, which was always normal for me before I accidently ate a deficit for a couple of years. Like OP, my first goal after getting back to normal weight is 160-165 lbs. I'm averaging half a pound per week on a ~275-cal surplus. That means over 10 months to reach goal.
  • jbgolf52
    Options
    @Robp: google "gastroparesis" and see what comes up. People have died due to this, and I had to go to the ER at one point when I was 118lbs because I couldn't eat for two days straight and was light-headed and in pain 24/7. It's no joke. That said, I agree that at this point it's mind over matter because I have all the help on the medication side that I can get. I've been doing really well the past two weeks and have been pushing myself, just have to keep it up.

@Fithealthyfor: MFP notoriously overestimates calories, a more accurate measure is found using the IIFYM TDEE calculator (google it to find it). Either way, I work a pretty sedentary job but I make sure to get up and stretch and also work standing up for part of the day. I envy your metabolism. What do you do throughout the day that you need to eat so much? Do you have an office job?
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I could literally eat 10,000 calories a day without a problem, two 5,000 calorie meals. Thank god that I don't and can stop myself :D
  • obsidianwings
    Options

I've been trying to gain weight since last September, but only recently have I stepped it up and been actually gaining a good amount. I don't feel stuffed 24/7, but only because I don't average 2,200, more like 2,100 or lower, but it is still much better than before. I don't feel overly full all the time, sometimes I feel slightly empty, but never hunger. And ryry apologized so it's all good, don't worry about it.
    Yeah I know bu he apologised that he didn't realise you had a medical problem, which IMO wasn't the point at all.
    Anyhow you've been at this longer than me so thats my time theory out the window. Must be really hard when theres so much you can't eat, to be honest i'm not sure what else to suggest. Wish you luck though
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Just imagine the food as having desires and want to be eaten.

Each time you look at it, it's saying "eat me, eat me"

Or just make food into more edible forms

potatoes-mashed etc
  • jbgolf52
    Options
    @ritchiebulk: I wish I could do that man.

@obsidianwings: Thanks for the support, I appreciate it.

@letmebangbro: Like Frank Yang's bulking video? Hah, that's a good one. Google it if you haven't seen it yet. I've been trying to make food more tasty and it has been working, it's just tough at times. Definitely need to pick up some more pre-made protein shakes tomorrow.
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    @ritchiebulk: I wish I could do that man.

@obsidianwings: Thanks for the support, I appreciate it.

@letmebangbro: Like Frank Yang's bulking video? Hah, that's a good one. Google it if you haven't seen it yet. I've been trying to make food more tasty and it has been working, it's just tough at times. Definitely need to pick up some more pre-made protein shakes tomorrow.

I've drank shakes from bcaa's, peanut buttah, cottage cheese, protein, milk, fruits etc.
    Just gotta keep eating. I bulk at 2.7-2.9k(and by no means is this alot) calories and can eat 1k cal meals and feel 80% full. Just gotta get used to it.
  • yogabikegym
    Options
    If I were in your shoes, I'd look into some calorie dense foods I enjoy from a taste perspective. If you are recovering from stomach issues, you probably don't want anything too greasy, but try adding avocados, hummus, quinoa, garbanzos, cottage cheese to increase calories in a healthy way.

What this guy said - calorie dense foods are the way to go.

You'd be surprised how many calories some foods have if you haven't looked at the nutrition label. Example: Olive oil has a whopping 120 calories per tablespoon. Think about how much that could add to your total daily calories without even putting a dent in your stomach. It also supplies fantastic fat that is definitely needed.

I also had a hard time eating a lot, especially with my job, so I relied more on smoothies. I would actually powderize the oats in a blender, so that I could add them to 40 ounce smoothies. I would have this bottle with me all day and drink some every hour. Throw in some peanut butter, protein, fruit and you are looking at 1000 calories easy. It worked amazing for me when I was bulking and I never felt full or sluggish.

Change your approach by thinking more about calories and less about "eating huge" until you are full.
  • jbgolf52
    Options
    @letmebangbro: Yea I hear you, getting used to it is rough at times but I've been keeping at it.

@yogabikegym: I can't handle some calorie dense food like olive oil, but peanut butter is good to go so I've been relying on that. That's a good way to approach the eating more mindset, thanks.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    My Motivation has come from years of getting no-where to be honest, if that makes sense.

I underrate and trained, and got no-where, where as now I'm hitting my 3600 Calories a day, I'm getting heavier, and stronger (Worth noting my primary goal is Strength - Powerlifting, over aesthetics at the moment).

I will admit that I do have to force food down me at times, So I know it's not THAT easy. Just end up eating more smaller meals to get the calories in, as long as I hit my daily targets, that all that matters for now.
  • andresconejo
    Options
    I envy your metabolism. What do you do throughout the day that you need to eat so much? Do you have an office job?
    This! Lol