Losing fat and gaining muscle

Options
Hello!

I've just purchased some scales which give you a breakdown of fat, muscle etc. I've just discovered I'm 54% fat and I'm utterly horrified! My muscle mass is 20% which is low apparently.

So, I'm looking for tips on eating and exercise that will help me achieve lower fat percentage and gain muscle.

I go to the gym 3 times per week, and do 20 mins cardio on the elliptical trainer, then around 25 mins total body weight workout.

Many thanks in advance!

DD

Replies

• NaturalGainsRecned
    NaturalGainsRecned Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I've just purchased some scales which give you a breakdown of fat, muscle etc. I've just discovered I'm 54% fat and I'm utterly horrified! My muscle mass is 20% which is low apparently.

So, I'm looking for tips on eating and exercise that will help me achieve lower fat percentage and gain muscle.

I go to the gym 3 times per week, and do 20 mins cardio on the elliptical trainer, then around 25 mins total body weight workout.

Many thanks in advance!

DD

I’d need to see your info. But, definitely be in a caloric deficit. I’d base your workouts around weight training, so cardio should come after weight training or on non weight training days. For the sole purpose of having the most energy for compound movements during your weight training sessions.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Those scales are notorious for being inaccurate, so I wouldn't base a huge amount on them. But even if it is off but still in the ball park, that means you have a lot of weight to lose. I would focus on weight loss first, eating at a calorie deficit (the exact amount depending on how much you have to lose), along with some strength training to maintain your muscle during that time.

If you lose fat and keep muscle, your muscle percentage goes up. Let's say for illustration you are 250 pounds with 50 pounds of muscle mass (20%), and you lose 50 pounds, all of a sudden you 50 pounds of muscle mass is 25% of your body weight.

I would focus primarily on weight trisning for your exercise, with cardio secondary. Some cardio is good for health, but your weight loss should primarily come from what you eat. Eating at a calorie deficit is what will drive the weight loss, and weight training will help to maintain the muscle while losing weight.

Then, once you get to your goal weight, you can reevaluate your muscle mass, hopefully measured professionally by either a dexa scan or bod pod, and see if you need to work on adding more muscle mass. But I would focus primarily on fat loss first.
  • debz_hart56
    debz_hart56 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Scales aren't accurate for measuring bodyfat.

What are your stats?

Which lifting routine are you following?

I don't have my measurements but I'm 4'11" and 184lbs 😱 the scales suggested my BMR was 1495 calories per day, and I'm currently trying to stick to 1200 per day, but I usually end up pushing to 1300.

Weights, I do 3 sets of 15 reps:

12kg weighted squats
    12kg bicep curl with shoulder press
    12kg tricep kick backs
    12kg deadlifts
    8kg side arm raises
    10 lunges on each leg, not weighted
    45 second plank

Thank you!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

What are your stats?

I don't have my measurements but I'm 4'11" and 184lbs 😱 the scales suggested my BMR was 1495 calories per day, and I'm currently trying to stick to 1200 per day, but I usually end up pushing to 1300.

12kg weighted squats
    12kg tricep kick backs
    12kg deadlifts
    8kg side arm raises
    45 second plank

Thank you!

What does MFP give you to lose 1.5lb per week?
  • debz_hart56
    Options

What are your stats?

12kg weighted squats
    12kg tricep kick backs
    12kg deadlifts
    8kg side arm raises
    45 second plank

Thank you!

1200 calories ☺️
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

What are your stats?

12kg weighted squats
    12kg tricep kick backs
    12kg deadlifts
    8kg side arm raises
    45 second plank

Thank you!

1200 calories ☺️

Plus exercise cals remember.

Following a full body workout might benefit you

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • debz_hart56
    Options

What are your stats?

12kg weighted squats
    12kg tricep kick backs
    12kg deadlifts
    8kg side arm raises
    45 second plank

Thank you!

1200 calories ☺️

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

Thank you! I'll take a look 😊
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    The scales that supposedly give you your bodyfat % are extremely inaccurate so take it with a grain of salt!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Many thanks in advance!

DD

As others have said, take the scale BF% with a grain of salt. Focus on losing weight and maintaining muscle.
    The most bang for your buck will come from your diet - log consistently and be patient. By keeping things super simple and not panicking at every bump in the road, in a year from now you can have made an incredible impact on your body and your health :smiley:

In addition to checking out the strength programs in the link above, these threads might help you out as well:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

Congrats on getting started, and good luck :drinker:
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I read recently that body fat scales that you step on send an electric current up one leg and down the other and measure the conductivity to estimate body fat. So basically if you carry a lot of fat on your legs but less up top then it's going to be wildly inaccurate. Not sure if it's true.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options

What are your stats?

12kg weighted squats
    12kg tricep kick backs
    12kg deadlifts
    8kg side arm raises
    45 second plank

Thank you!

Your BMR is approximately the amount you'd burn in bed in a coma. You don't necessarily need to eat under your BMR to lose weight (it can even be a bad idea).

In addition to your BMR, you move around doing stuff every day (job, chores, etc.). That burns calories. This is "NEAT" (non-exercise activity thermogenesis).

In addition to that, you're doing exercise. You add exercise calories to get "TDEE" (total daily energy expenditure).

To lose weight, you only need to eat less than your TDEE.

Use MFP as designed: Set up your profile with a weight loss rate that is less than 1% of your current weight. It will estimate your NEAT, and subtract calories from that based on the weight loss rate you request. Eat that many calories, or close. When you do exercise, log it and eat those calories, too. If you're worried that exercise calories are over-estimated, eat back a percentage (maybe 50%) to start.

Monitor for 4-6 weeks, and adjust intake based on results.

At your weight (mine at the start was 183), I lost on substantially more than 1200 calories, and when I later went down to that level, it was a mistake for me, personally (may not be, for you - don't know). I'm taller than you (5'5") but bodyweight is more of a determinant of calorie burn at this point than height per se.

Best wishes!
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options

What are your stats?

12kg weighted squats
    12kg tricep kick backs
    12kg deadlifts
    8kg side arm raises
    45 second plank

Thank you!

1200 calories ☺️

thanks for posting that, i lost my bookmarks and have been looking for it for awhile.
  • DannaJ1972
    DannaJ1972 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    help! advise plz.... I kill myself 4 days per week in the gym and I'm seeing very slim results. Do I eat bad? yea sometimes but i portion control it. My routine as follows; Sunday 20 min bike with HIIT, upper arms-bi-Ceps, shoulder press-chest press& upper back followed by 10 min on the StairMaster. Monday 20 min bike-/leg abductions/squats 50 reps/step ups 3 sets of 12 reps/weighted side bend 2 sets 20 reps followed by lower abs hip abduction and stretch. Wednesday 20 min bike same routine as Monday followed by 10 min StairMaster. Friday 20 min bike followed by a mix of upper/lower body exercises from Sunday/\Monday routine. I know i am messing up and it feels like i'm all over the map not to mention I am seeing results just not the results I used to get year or 2 ago.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    help! advise plz.... I kill myself 4 days per week in the gym and I'm seeing very slim results. Do I eat bad? yea sometimes but i portion control it. My routine as follows; Sunday 20 min bike with HIIT, upper arms-bi-Ceps, shoulder press-chest press& upper back followed by 10 min on the StairMaster. Monday 20 min bike-/leg abductions/squats 50 reps/step ups 3 sets of 12 reps/weighted side bend 2 sets 20 reps followed by lower abs hip abduction and stretch. Wednesday 20 min bike same routine as Monday followed by 10 min StairMaster. Friday 20 min bike followed by a mix of upper/lower body exercises from Sunday/\Monday routine. I know i am messing up and it feels like i'm all over the map not to mention I am seeing results just not the results I used to get year or 2 ago.

Your exercise is only an aid to fitness and burns a few extra calories. You admit your diet is not on point. That's what you need to work on to get results. Set up a reasonable, sustainable calorie deficit and stick to it. That will get you results. You can't out exercise a poor diet.

Also, get a food scale to make sure your portions are accurate.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Your gym sessions whilst strenuous are unlikely to be burning all that many calories and certainly not enough to show a fast, noticeable difference on the scale. It takes quite a lot to burn 500 calories per day for 3,500 per week to see 1lb loss purely from exercise.

Concentrate on achieving your deficit through diet and see exercise for its fitness benefits.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

even if you eat good "most of the time," one day off the rails hitting the pizza, sweets, soda, whatever could easily wipe out all your deficits from the week. thus, you'd gain nothing. so if you need to cheat, make sure you're not undoing all the choices you made on the other days.