HELP ME - WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    your other thread got nuked, so here is the refeeds link in case you didn't get chance to look at it:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    How often do you eat in restaurants? That could very much be part of the issue. Calories on menus aren't always very accurate compared to what ends up on the plate.
  • Tracie_Lord
    Tracie_Lord Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    You said you like to eat clean so I would try unprocessing your foods. Lose the protein bars or anything that has a huge ingredient list. Aim to only eat things that grow and need sunlight. You also need more water, come close to an ounce of water per pound of body weight. And you need to do more cardio, 3 times a week for 25-30 minutes.

That's my 2 cents, stay strong! :)

I've literally only had 2 protein bars in my lift and added to increase protein and calories as per advice given :dizzy:

It seems everyone has differing of opinions I think which makes it so hard

I lost all my weight doing exactly what you say, meat, fish, fruit veg, seed etc and it was great but then I've stalled so added the few processed items

Time will tell I guess

Thanks for your advice
  • Tracie_Lord
    Options
    csplatt wrote: »
    if you are eating a 200 calorie a day deficit, for example, then in a week you have a deficit of 1400 calories. however, a nice hearty meal at Five Guys Burgers and fries... or a few slices of pizza... plus a dessert on that treat day, could wipe out your entire deficit, thus resulting in zero pounds lost for the week. just a thought. it is POSSIBLE that the "20 percent" of the time you aren't eating "clean," you're erasing your progress.

This too. It's actually not "clean" that matters for loss, it's deficit. One underestimated (or in my case, blush, sometimes UNRECORDED) cheat day a week can very easily erase my 6 days of 250-cal/day deficit.

I fully fully log everything I can, example I was out on a works night a few weeks ago and I log every single drink

One thing I do is be totally transparent for myself more than anything
  • Tracie_Lord
    Options
    You said you like to eat clean so I would try unprocessing your foods. Lose the protein bars or anything that has a huge ingredient list. Aim to only eat things that grow and need sunlight. You also need more water, come close to an ounce of water per pound of body weight. And you need to do more cardio, 3 times a week for 25-30 minutes.

That's my 2 cents, stay strong! :)
    savithny wrote: »
    How often do you eat in restaurants? That could very much be part of the issue. Calories on menus aren't always very accurate compared to what ends up on the plate.

twice a month maybe - really not that much this is why I am so baffled
  • Tracie_Lord
    Options
    Pickle107 wrote: »
    Just be aware that a nutritionist isn't trained anywhere nearly like a dietitian who needs a degree and professional registration. Anyone can do a short online course and call themselves that.

Remember that you can only lose weight in deficit. The 'eat more' to lose weight thing won't work unless it gives you enough energy to blast calories in your harder strength training sessions.

Do update us though. I'd love to know how you get on with it all.

thing is I am almost always in a deficit (except maybe once a week on cheat day but even then I try and work out to keep the deficit if I can) and sometimes I gain which is why I have reached out as I don't understand. It's almost like everything I thought I knew was wrong.

Hydrate, eat clean, calorie deficit - I did it all and it worked I lost almost 100lbs but for 6 months have hovered the same 5-10lbs up and down and I cannot see why.

I understand what you say about a dietician for sure and I'll going to try this for a couple of months and if no further progress dietician is definitely the way
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that a nutritionist isn't trained anywhere nearly like a dietitian who needs a degree and professional registration. Anyone can do a short online course and call themselves that.

Remember that you can only lose weight in deficit. The 'eat more' to lose weight thing won't work unless it gives you enough energy to blast calories in your harder strength training sessions.

thing is I am almost always in a deficit (except maybe once a week on cheat day but even then I try and work out to keep the deficit if I can) and sometimes I gain which is why I have reached out as I don't understand. It's almost like everything I thought I knew was wrong.

Hydrate, eat clean, calorie deficit - I did it all and it worked I lost almost 100lbs but for 6 months have hovered the same 5-10lbs up and down and I cannot see why.

I understand what you say about a dietician for sure and I'll going to try this for a couple of months and if no further progress dietician is definitely the way

You haven't answered if you log your cheat day. Do you log everything you eat on this one day per week? I just want to make sure you account all of those calories to make sure that isn't the reason you aren't losing. I maintained having one cheat day per week because I would eat enough to offset all my losses. It wasn't until I logged my "cheat days" that I saw I wiped out my weekly deceit.

Please update us though, I am hoping to see you figure this out.
  • Tracie_Lord
    Options

You haven't answered if you log your cheat day. Do you log everything you eat on this one day per week? I just want to make sure you account all of those calories to make sure that isn't the reason you aren't losing. I maintained having one cheat day per week because I would eat enough to offset all my losses. It wasn't until I logged my "cheat days" that I saw I wiped out my weekly deceit.

Please update us though, I am hoping to see you figure this out.

Yes I log everything every day including cheat day - sorry I thought I made that clear. On cheat days I tend to try and work out harder.

• Tracie_Lord
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    Congrats on your weight loss!

I don't think you are necessarily doing anything wrong. Sometimes, our bodies stop losing at a certain point. I once lost 126 lbs, and around the time I hit 90 lbs off, I plateaued for a whole year. I tried everything, and finally had to switch to a horribly restrictive diet to get 30 more lbs off. I ended up giving up because I couldn't keep restricting myself to continue losing. I gained my weight back.

Now I see a dietitian regularly. She is a godsend. She goes over my MFP diary entries, makes suggestions, and has really helped me. Maybe you could try a dietitian in addition to your PT. It might help you figure out which changes to make, like it did with me. I have 62 lbs off now and I'm finding it so much easier since I have my dietitian's help.

thank you and well done you on your journey that's amazing.

It sounds like I'm where you were then. Can I ask do you track macros? Do you work out?

No one can seem to tell me what the macros should be for losing weight whilst being active (I gym 4-7 times a week).

General consensus is PROTEIN 40% FATS 20% CARBS 40% but your right I think I need a dietician to confirm this for my body and my lifestyle