Wait, what? There is more than one way to progress?!

Options
124»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm really unsure where in this thread I said that DVD programs are equal to proper strength training.

As per usual, the topic has gone completely off track and into never never land.

But..... isn't that what we're here to do? ARE WE NOT ALL HERE FOR THE SAME THINGS?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I'm really unsure where in this thread I said that DVD programs are equal to proper strength training.

As per usual, the topic has gone completely off track and into never never land.

KCCO :wink:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Please point out where anyone said that YOU said that.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Hey, know what, I never felt like the OP was issuing a 'lifting vs other stuff' challenge. I was just making a point about the way she phrased the OP and the title. So I took a dig at the language, then moved on to say that I thought the progressions mentioned in her link did have value, IMHO.

Apologies if my dig derailed the thread or cast the OP in a light that I don't believe she deserves

Thank you :) perhaps I should have worded it different.....this isn't my first time to the mfp rodeo :laugh:

I feel like we can hug it out :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    What I think is funny is how everyone on this forum encourages all women to lift weights, and lift heavy, and that this is the best way to get a smokin' bod and you won't get bulky from it. There is this girl at the gym I go to who never does anything except run on a treadmill and occasionally the stepper machine and she has an incredible pair of legs, low BF, great definition yet still very slim and feminine. Most women would love to have her figure, yet she doesn't lift weights at all.
    There are lots of people who are slim and don't exercise at all. They just don't overeat and maybe have a semi physical job (say like a postal carrier).
    Looking good is what most women shoot for, but a great reason to lift heavy is to build strength and help prevent bone degeneration which is more common in females than males.
    I doubt any Personal Trainer would just have clients doing cardio only to attain a better body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

Please point out where anyone said that YOU said that.

No one :laugh: perhaps I was just feeling a little vulnerable and defensive :embarassed:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    In the case I'm referring to I don't think there has been any increase in muscle mass, just maintaining muscle mass and lowering BF%. But this was enough to create nice muscle definition and an attractive pair of legs and hind quarters, without weightlifting.

I used 'muscle development' to avoid saying 'muscle tone' which I have learned is a big no no among a forum of exercise science majors. In the future I will avoid both.

Sadly I do stay at the gym long enough(45-60min lifting, 30-45min cardio, 30-45 min basketball) to outlast her entire workout so I know she is not lifting at the gym unless she comes in twice a day (very unlikely).
    One could have good "muscle tone". There's just no such thing as "toning exercises", "toning workouts", or "toning" altogether.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    There are several ways to train. The "correct" one for an individual is the one that is tailored to the goal that they are trying to reach. If they are going for strength, they do progressive weight lifting. If they are going for endurance, they do endurance lifting.
    Where people get irked is when they try something and it's something they don't like, then claim it doesn't work. That's what I usually observe here.

IDEA Fitness member