Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What exactly do you consider “clean” eating or “healthy” eating?

aperis2615
aperis2615 Posts: 13 Member
I know for me clean eating is weighed portions, and primary veggies and fruit. Trail mix, dried fruit, most cheeses and breads are what I consider junk or more iffy foods. And anything like pretzels, chips, usually popcorn and etc are junk junk food. What exactly does your clean eating consist of?

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Clean food to me is food that doesn’t make me sick. I hate food-borne illnesses! :s

The funny thing is foods that people traditionally consider "clean" are more likely to cause foodborne illnesses. You're more likely to get a foodborne illness from fruits and vegetables than you are from a bag of potato chips.

Interesting, I’ve never thought about it that way! Please make sure whatever food you consider “clean” is actually clean! ;)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Lots of people eat mostly nutrient-dense, minimally-processed whole foods, cooked at home, and don't necessarily define as "clean eaters." Thus, the term seems to me to be intended to mean something more, but what depends on the person using it, which is why I (again) find it unhelpful and think talking about nutrition and healthy diets makes much more sense.

I mean, if one eats some popcorn (available from a green market, btw) is one not a "clean eater"?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I followed Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet about a decade ago so that is what I think of for clean eating: minimally processed whole food sources with a leaning towards lean protein sources.

IMO, a healthy diet is one that us nutritionally complete and will not contribute to future or current poor health. This will vary between people. Some people do well with some grains in their diet. As a celiac who strives for excellent BG control, I avoid almost all grains.

Now my diet is almost carnivore. At the very least, it is an animal based omnivorous diet. Nutritionally it is complete and balanced, and addresses my health needs very well. I consider it to be a healthy diet for me.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I just try to hit my macros--IIFYM. I cook everyday for a large family and am always washing veggies and fruits.