How to get a cute butt without squats?? =)

Options
124»

Replies

• aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I would still do squats its really hard for women to get bulky. I go as heavy as I can and I am still not bulky but my rear is looking so much better. something else you can do is lunges with your back foot on an incline. It will take a bit to get the balance down but it will burn. Also you can tie a resistance band around your feet and to sumo squats in a circle and it will activate pretty much your whole thigh and booty. Remember the more muscle the more calories you burn so lift lift lift. I cant tell you the difference it has made. Also if you have a stair stepper that will help as well or a treadmill on full incline doing low lunges. I do a full glute and leg day separate from my cardio....and I typically want my muscles to be so worn out I cant hardly walk. I know it sounds drastic but I have seem major results and its not that bad after you get stronger. Oh and kick backs with resistance are wonderful for the booty as well. Happy lifting!:smile:
  • paigebolling
    paigebolling Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the ideas. Will put them to good work!
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You have about a 100lbs to lose. I highly doubt your thighs are as muscular as you think or will be as "bulky" by the time you get anywhere near your goal weight.

Do the weighted squats, deadlifts, lunges, hip thrusts, glute bridges and whatever exercises that may or may not target only/mainly the butt area.
    I agree with your advice but they might actually be muscular, just covered in a layer of fat. When you get rid of the fat, they will look awesome.
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. Absolutely love MFP and all the great advice I can get. I should also add that I don't plan to elminate squats because I know they are super effective but the reason I asked the question was because it seemed that I was getting more of a burn in my thighs than in my butt. So I guess the real question I should have asked would have been what exercises can I add to my routine that targets the butt. I didn't want to be doing tons of squats and getting great results in my legs and so-so results for my behind. :tongue: Again thanks for all the suggestions!

make sure you are sinking into your heals when you squat and I find plié squats to be really effective. My toe will come of the ground if I squat without a squat rack. also if you can use a rack that will help you target better and going down deep as you can will too.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Nothing makes my butt muscles burn quite like RDL's. Just make sure you maintain good form so you don't mess up your back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnBREGM7pE0

http://youtu.be/JCXUYuzwNrM?t=1m25s
  • bokchoybaby
    bokchoybaby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. Absolutely love MFP and all the great advice I can get. I should also add that I don't plan to elminate squats because I know they are super effective but the reason I asked the question was because it seemed that I was getting more of a burn in my thighs than in my butt. So I guess the real question I should have asked would have been what exercises can I add to my routine that targets the butt. I didn't want to be doing tons of squats and getting great results in my legs and so-so results for my behind. :tongue: Again thanks for all the suggestions!
    For what it's worth, Bret Contreras (aka "the glute guy") tests how well people activate their glutes doing certain exercises. Some people who didn't feel like they were activating their glutes definitely were. I appreciate the feeling that you're working your thighs more than your glutes. Standard squats do work my glutes but I'm more likely to reach failure due to my quads while my glutes could still tolerate more reps. I've found in my case that switching to sumo squats made my squats glute-dominant. In addition to some of the form correction ideas others had above you may want to experiment with different squat stances to see if any work better for you.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    natural hammy string curls/ghetto glute raises

Gotta video of these?^^^^^^^^^^^

I do not of me personally- but I will try to remember to post one later when I get home- I have limited access here at work to lots of media outlets- like youtube.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of ''they won't make your thighs bigger'' advice here, but I can tell you from personal experience, heavy weighted squats DID grow my quads a lot. So now I focus more on dead lifts and other glute workouts. If you have access to the gym, I really recommend using the cable pulley machine and doing kickbacks; those have worked wonders for my butt. If I do squats now, I use only body weight and I space my feet far apart, it takes most of the load off the quads and puts it on the glutes.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Always be on top = squatting w/out weights.

heh, dirty.