Help. Help

Options
Melolson14
Melolson14 Posts: 147 Member
I’m going on a cruise with my daughter.
I would like to loss 20 lbs in 8 months.
Can anyone help me

Replies

• Melolson14
    Options
    So I set my goals at
    1lb a week
    Workout 3 a week
    Calorie intake is 1583
    Does that seem right
    I weight 188
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Melolson14 wrote: »
    So I set my goals at
    1lb a week
    Workout 3 a week
    Calorie intake is 1583
    Does that seem right
    I weight 188

The only way to know if its "right" is to try it and see what happens. The 3 workouts are not calculated into your daily calorie goal. You will add those separately each day and then get some extra calories. Good luck!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    30min of intense cycling effort would only gain me around 250-300 calories, be careful advising people how much they will burn at a particular activity, it depends hugely on the individual.

OP - make sure you do not include your 3 workouts when you choose your activity setting, this should be based on how active you are outside of any intentional activity which is then added/logged daily to give additional calories on top of the basic allowance. MFP is set so that you should eat these back but most people choose to eat half or 3/4 as exercise calories burnt are often overestimated.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    johnw83 wrote: »
    the best thing u can do is in door cycling classes every day burn 1000 calories per half hour

I wish!

:noway:
  • Melolson14
    Options
    I’m having a hard time getting myself to the gym and to work out
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Melolson14 wrote: »
    I’m having a hard time getting myself to the gym and to work out

You don’t have to work out per se, in order to meet your weight loss goals. MFP is designed to give you a calorie target with the deficit built in based on your non exercise activity alone. If you do go to the gym or work out above and beyond daily activity you should log and eat back at least a portion of those calories to avoid too aggressive of a deficit.

Probably the single most important thing you can do to achieve your goal is to set a reasonable calorie target, and then accurately log all your intake ideally using a food scale.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    The gym is just a way to burn a little more calories so that you can eat a bit more and still lose. The logging of calories in your food diary is the biggest part. Working out makes it easier to stay in your calorie budget sometimes because you can eat a bit more or eat more things you enjoy. I personally HATE gyms - so I found something I didn't hate, which is walking. Got a fitbit to log my steps and some good shoes, and I just go for a walk. For some reason for me psychologically, taking a walk around my work campus or my neighborhood or the mall or whatever, is much more tolerable and enjoyable than trying to workout at the gym. And I have no excuse not to do it because you can walk pretty much anywhere. I can make it a family social event. The important thing is it was something I didn't hate so I've been able to stick to it. Best of luck trying to find the right thing for yourself.

Also this is always a good reference:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1