Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What new or revised public policy/law would make it easier for people to maintain a healthy weight?

Options

Replies

• Lenpayasa
    Lenpayasa Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just imagined an actual sugar pill, like a pill made of compressed refined sugar and someone saying "I've got to take my medicine" Off-topic, sorry.
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    If you want the government to show you how to eat, how about bringing Home Economics back to public school.
  • Lenpayasa
    Lenpayasa Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    corrarjo wrote: »
    If you want the government to show you how to eat, how about bringing Home Economics back to public school.

I loved middle school Home Ec! The memories and practical knowledge. Field trip to the grocery store, learned to wash dishes properly to save water and make breadsticks from scratch. Yeah, now days kids aren't allowed to use knives.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    While I agree that people are not eating healthy and weight is an issue now, more than ever before, I don't want the Government telling me what I can and cannot eat.

Has anyone suggested that it should?

I’m OK with governments offering advice, though.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I think we have enough laws for the most part. As far as policy goes, I'd like to see communities develop infrastructure that promotes a healthy lifestyle. I live in a small rural community in Texas. The county road systems are wonderful for cycling and we have limited traffic - that's the good part. The flip side is our towns and cities are designed for cars - not people. I deal with loose (biting) dogs all the time because city ordinances aren't enforced. City streets have a lot of junk near the curb. We don't have bike lanes. You get the idea. Many folks just won't take a walk or ride their bike because they don't feel safe. We also need kinder neighborhoods where children (actually their parents) feel it's safe to be outside and play or ride a bike.

Edit: I know all of this is expensive. But what's the cost of obesity to our communities and our countries?

Our area is very rural also. The roads are not conducive to riding, walking or running. However we have a system of trails where railroads are not being used any longer. The paths are already there, so it did not cost the local government as much to utilize them. They are well used and appreciated.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    While I agree that people are not eating healthy and weight is an issue now, more than ever before, I don't want the Government telling me what I can and cannot eat.

Has anyone suggested that it should?

I’m OK with governments offering advice, though.

The food industry recommend the eating guidelines.and the USA federal government put them in place officially.

And do they require you to follow them? Of course not, nor should they, nor has anyone suggested otherwise.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Lenpayasa wrote: »

I loved middle school Home Ec! The memories and practical knowledge. Field trip to the grocery store, learned to wash dishes properly to save water and make breadsticks from scratch. Yeah, now days kids aren't allowed to use knives.

I enjoyed middle school (well, "junior high" in my day and place) home ec for a while, but the memories were pretty much spoiled when the bullies decided to remove the needles from the sewing machine and run around stabbing people with them, and the teacher did zilch about it.

So maybe not letting them have knives these days isn't such a bad thing.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Lenpayasa wrote: »

I enjoyed middle school (well, "junior high" in my day and place) home ec for a while, but the memories were pretty much spoiled when the bullies decided to remove the needles from the sewing machine and run around stabbing people with them, and the teacher did zilch about it.

So maybe not letting them have knives these days isn't such a bad thing.

I remember the times when students got a good spanking for that kind of behaviour. And then a second one as soon as they got off the school bus, because the bad deed had already been reported to the parents. I wonder how we all survived as kids... But I guess, we learned a lesson..