recomp stat advice

hi, ive been trying to google info on recomping but getting conflicting advice. one says to go surplus on workout days the other to maintain workout days and deficit on days off? SO ive come here. again. :)

if I give my stats can we workout a plan as im doing my own head in with it all.
(note: I have anxiety and slow info intake so apologise if I repeat or don't fully get it) x

im 36yrs 5'5 53.5kg I go gym 3 days a week doing weights, just changed from split leg/upper days to full body. (I think)
I got myself all in a mess trying to work out my tdee plus activity so im coming here blank to try and get help with what is recommended for my stats?

on the fancy machine at the gym, not sure how accurate these things are, says im 24% body fat and 43% muscle if that helps?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2019
    angermouse wrote: »
    hi, ive been trying to google info on recomping but getting conflicting advice. one says to go surplus on workout days the other to maintain workout days and deficit on days off? SO ive come here. again. :)

Whichever way suits you best - it's unlikely to make the slightest bit of measurable difference.

It's based on gym mythology and complete misunderstanding of anabolic and catabolic states - sometimes verbalised as the incorrect statements "you can't gain muscle in a deficit" and/or "you need to be in a surplus to gain muscle". Both statements are twaddle.

Remember that fitness bloggers are always needing to make simple things complicated.
    Eating at or around maintenance and training effectively is everything you need, the rest is just window dressing.

What do you mean TDEE plus activity? TDEE includes everything (BMR, activity and exercise) - Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

Just decide how you want to account for your exercise, the way MyFitnessPal does it or go to a TDEE calculator - both work unless you do endurance cardio needing fuelling on the day.
  • angermouse
    angermouse Posts: 102 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

Whichever way suits you best - it's unlikely to make the slightest bit of measurable difference.

It's based on gym mythology and complete misunderstanding of anabolic and catabolic states - sometimes verbalised as the incorrect statements "you can't gain muscle in a deficit" and/or "you need to be in a surplus to gain muscle". Both statements are twaddle.

Remember that fitness bloggers are always needing to make simple things complicated.
    Eating at or around maintenance and training effectively is everything you need, the rest is just window dressing.

What do you mean TDEE plus activity? TDEE includes everything (BMR, activity and exercise) - Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

Just decide how you want to account for your exercise, the way MyFitnessPal does it or go to a TDEE calculator - both work unless you do endurance cardio needing fuelling on the day.

sorry I mean to make my TDEE total, im unsure which is the right activity percentage to add.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

sorry I mean to make my TDEE total, im unsure which is the right activity percentage to add.

Just follow the instructions on the TDEE site you are using and make your best guess. After 4 weeks adjust if necessary. No-one knows your activity better than you do.
  • angermouse
    Just follow the instructions on the TDEE site you are using and make your best guess. After 4 weeks adjust if necessary. No-one knows your activity better than you do.[/quote]

ok thanks :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    Just wanting to make sure you've had a chance to read the recomp thread here, which covers some of the territory you're asking about, in quite a practical way.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat
  • angermouse
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Just wanting to make sure you've had a chance to read the recomp thread here, which covers some of the territory you're asking about, in quite a practical way.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

thanks ill have a read through :-)
  • angermouse
    ok ive settled on a calculator that saying tdee is 1685. so is that my maintain goal, to eat 1685cals? burn around the same. previously when I was cutting and looking in to all this im sure it was up in 1800s?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    ok ive settled on a calculator that saying tdee is 1685. so is that my maintain goal, to eat 1685cals? burn around the same. previously when I was cutting and looking in to all this im sure it was up in 1800s?

If you filled it out right, the TDEE calculator should be estimating total average all-day calorie burn, including your exercise.

See that word "estimating" in there? That's important. If you have logging history that you think is reasonably accurate, and that history says your maintenance calories are different than the calculator says, then trust your own data.

The calculators are accurate for most people, somewhat off (high or low) for a few, and quite far off (either direction) for a very, very few. That's the nature of statistical estimating methods, even really good ones.

Most calculators put my sedentary maintenance at around 1500. I've been sitting out exercise for several weeks now, getting < 5,000 steps on average, and losing weight (not super fast, but observably, on >1800 calories. I estimate my sedentary maintenance at something just a bit over 2000, based on nearly 4 years of logging experience. This isn't a common experience, to be farther from the estimates, but it happens.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,587 Member
    @angermouse you said before that your Fitbit estimates that you burn approximately 1850 Calories a day and that you were losing weight about as you would expect when eating at a deficit from that.

Your Fitbit estimate is a TDEE estimate. In other words an estimate as to how much you burned for the whole day.

Is there any reason to assume you will be burning less or more as of right now?

Why don't you start by eating what your Fitbit gives you, connect your Fitbit.com account to a trendweight.com account, wait 4 to 6 weeks to see how your weight trand changes, and correct your caloric goals on the basis of how your strength training has progressed and what your weight trend has done...
  • angermouse
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If you filled it out right, the TDEE calculator should be estimating total average all-day calorie burn, including your exercise.

See that word "estimating" in there? That's important. If you have logging history that you think is reasonably accurate, and that history says your maintenance calories are different than the calculator says, then trust your own data.

The calculators are accurate for most people, somewhat off (high or low) for a few, and quite far off (either direction) for a very, very few. That's the nature of statistical estimating methods, even really good ones.

Most calculators put my sedentary maintenance at around 1500. I've been sitting out exercise for several weeks now, getting < 5,000 steps on average, and losing weight (not super fast, but observably, on >1800 calories. I estimate my sedentary maintenance at something just a bit over 2000, based on nearly 4 years of logging experience. This isn't a common experience, to be farther from the estimates, but it happens.

yes I do have logs that are at 1800 burn on gym days so I will take more notes of this. I usually tap the info in and forget, just eating what id tracked for the week.
  • angermouse
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    @angermouse you said before that your Fitbit estimates that you burn approximately 1850 Calories a day and that you were losing weight about as you would expect when eating at a deficit from that.

Your Fitbit estimate is a TDEE estimate. In other words an estimate as to how much you burned for the whole day.

Why don't you start by eating what your Fitbit gives you, connect your Fitbit.com account to a trendweight.com account, wait 4 to 6 weeks to see how your weight trand changes, and correct your caloric goals on the basis of how your strength training has progressed and what your weight trend has done...

yes fitbit says the burn is 1800 on gym days, I was questioning the fit bits 1500 food intake, I changed it from lose to maintain. when inputting meals it has a 1500cal limit. so was wondering if thats a maintenance or tdee which seem low for what I thought was loss before. this is why im here haha. confused obviously. :)
  • angermouse
    no reason for burning less im doing the same thing, its just the changing on my fit bit data that's changed.
    @PAV888 I will be more aware of my logs from now, will also look into the trendwegiht.com, previously when logging for fat loss my fit bit was saying 1600 so don't know whats happened there, probably gone wrong from the start? but to be honest I use fit bit more for the hr and keeping track of calories burned. I calculated my tdee from a youtube video (gaugegirltraining) which said maintenance was around 1800 and fat loss around 1500. so those numbers are I focused on previously. as I said before I do way too much looking into things and get info overload and confusion.
  • angermouse
    ok scrap previous post, tried to edit but some reason wont let me click on the option.
    todays fitbit with no food logged yet is 1616cals so maybe it was because Id messed about with the maintain half way through the day so data is interrupted?
  • angermouse
    Don't get too wrapped up in complication - making it more complicated is a choice, only make that choice if it's actually helpful to you. I get the strong impression though it's just stressing you out and making you more confused.

You can simplify things right down to setting your daily goal at 1800, track your long term weight trend, make adjustments.

yes it is stressing me out :( its my own fault. need to work out macro split yet. more confusion haha
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2019
    PAV8888 wrote: »

yes fitbit says the burn is 1800 on gym days, I was questioning the fit bits 1500 food intake, I changed it from lose to maintain. when inputting meals it has a 1500cal limit. so was wondering if thats a maintenance or tdee which seem low for what I thought was loss before. this is why im here haha. confused obviously. :)

There is no limit or food goal when it comes to using your Fitbit to estimate your caloric expenditure.

Your Fitbit estimates your calories out.

You log your calories IN in MFP.

At the end of the day, at midnight, the two synchronize if you have them connected to each other and, at that point, you can see if you ate all your Fitbit calories, or not.

Really, as long as you're close, it shouldn't matter too much.

It is still an estimate.

Then, after 29 days or so you add up all the calories you ate based on your MFP logging and all the calories you spent based on Fitbit logging.

And you compare the difference to your trending weight change.

Let's work through an example!

Let's pretend that you will start eating an average of 1900 Calories a day as of tomorrow--that's quite a bit more than what you're eating now based on what you've been saying, right?

29 days later you will have eaten and logged: 55,100 Calories

And let's pretend that your Fitbit averages on the same 29 days 1750 Calories (because you're saying that you don't always log 1800 or more Calories; but, only do so when you exercise).

This would mean that your Fitbit, in 29 days, will think that you would have spent 50,750 Calories.

And let's pretend that Day 1 was March 25, 2019, a Monday and that your trending weight according to trendweight.com that day was 117.7lbs!

29 days later it will be April 22, 2019.

Your Calories In - Calories Out indicate that you overfed by 4,350 Calories in total.

This translates into an "expected" gain of 1.24 lbs, so you would expect your TRENDING WEIGHT IN TRENDWEIGHT.COM to claim that you are at a weight level of 119.9 lbs.

if your trending weight on that day proves to be 119lbs, I would say that your Fitbit UNDER-estimated your activity by [(119.0 - 119.9 ) * 3500] / 29 = -108.62 Calories a day, or 6.2% of your Fitbit TDEE of 1750

If your trending weight on that day was 120.5lbs, I would say that your Fitbit OVER-estimated your activity by [(120.5-119.9)*3500] / 29 = 72.41 Calories a day, or 4.14% of your Fitbit TDEE of 1750

Having this estimate you can now eat with even more precision based on what your Fitbit says you spend every day and taking into account your "correction" factor from the past 29 or so days... and recalculate again 29 days later...

(29 days chosen because it appears to be the average length of a monthly cycle)
  • angermouse

There is no limit or food goal when it comes to using your Fitbit to estimate your caloric expenditure.

Your Fitbit estimates your calories out.

You log your calories IN in MFP.

yes I guess I haven't understood the fitbit right. its because it starts with a number before I log food and thought this to be my daily intake. obviously that changes with exercise. but as I say I never took much notice if it until I came here.
    I will try and get set up to the trendweight and concentrate on it all bit more. last post has a lot of info so will take a while to sink in haha need to re-read it a few times. :)
  • angermouse
    @sijomial its tempting to stamp on the thing! if it aint obvious numbers aint my thing haha

I was looking at
    1.1g per lb of fat and .3 for fat and hope it will all fall into place without added stress :)
  • PAV8888
    .35g of fat per lb of weight is a better MINIMUM for a woman. You should be aiming to be above.

Tbh there is nothing wrong with MFP default macro split as long as you view protein as a minimum and fat as something to get close to