Keto Help????

Options
Hi, does Keto work. I’ve been reading up on all the positives recently and am thinking I may give this a shot as every diet I seem to try works for a while then my body decides to stall! I could be in peri menopause also, so that could be a factor I need to consider but I’m fed up, I just don’t seem to be able to shift the weight. I spin twice a week and am considering a personal trainer to help me with some resistance training and give me a boost.........would be interested in your views. Thanks in advance

Replies

• Longshore
    Longshore Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    join these groups lots of info in them
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The groups linked above are great for finding success stories and those who are currently trying it. You'll find a number of members who have used it for years due to the wealth improvements and appetite control. I have done keto for about 4 years and do not ever plan on increasing carbs. I'm in perimenopause too, and I'm the smallest I've been since having kids, about a size 8-10.

There are some for whom keto was mot a great fit. The main forums will have more of those.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hi, does Keto work. I’ve been reading up on all the positives recently and am thinking I may give this a shot as every diet I seem to try works for a while then my body decides to stall! I could be in peri menopause also, so that could be a factor I need to consider but I’m fed up, I just don’t seem to be able to shift the weight. I spin twice a week and am considering a personal trainer to help me with some resistance training and give me a boost.........would be interested in your views. Thanks in advance

It can't hurt to try if you're interested! Keep in mind that just like any other diet, you need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight, and it's perfectly normal to not lose weight for a week or two (or 3 if your timing stinks ) every once and awhile.

If you find fats filling, or find carbs leave you hungry or even increase your appetite, keto or perhaps a more moderate LCHF split may help. Good luck!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

By all means try keto if you like (groups linked above will be great sources of info), but if you are in a long term stall, like over a month (stalls of a few weeks are common and to be expected) than the reason for that is that you are eating more than you think.

I think the place for you to start is to commit to filling out your diary every single day. Over the last week, I only see one day that looks completely filled out.

Also, how tall are you and how much would you like to lose total? 1200 calories is unnecessarily low for women who are not both very very short and sedentary, and can lead to this:

binge-low-calorie-diet.jpg

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

@mirandafinch I have been doing. Keto successful for over 4.5 years and found this graphics about calorie restiricton to be factual in my life

So back in October 2014 I decided not to restrict my calories for the rest of my life.

Keto requires most people to eat under 50 grams of carbs daily so I do that daily.

This is the show stopper that keeps most people from Keto success. This is why I don't see Keto the idea weight loss tool for 98% of MFP readers.

I thought I was going to die the first two weeks of keeping my daily carbs down to 50 grams. I didn't lose my life but lost at the age of 63 my controlling carb cravings for the most part by just 30 days of eating 50 or less grams of carbs daily so binging automatically had stopped by day 90.

In my case I have eaten for the last 4.5 years about 2000-3000 calories most days which keeps me full. I lost 50 pounds the first year and have maintained that loss over 3 years now eating the very same way I lost 50 pounds the first year.

While weight loss was never my goal I am glad it was a Keto side effect in my case.

My overt goal was the management/resolving 40 years of auto immune related disease health issues.

Because of the resounding Keto success in my health recovery now at the age of 68 I plan to Keto on until I find a better Way Of Eating.

My macros are more like 5/25/70 most days.

One thing that makes Keto easier for me was that 4.5 years ago I cut out all foods containing added sugars and or any form of any grain.

Keep in mind while Keto has been around for a 100 years there's nothing magical about a Keto WOE but it is based on medical science . Also keep in there's many WOE'S that work very well for weight loss. In my personal case Nutrition Ketosis is working great for managing my autoimmune disease of Ankylosing Spondylosis and my weight.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    That graphic is sort of how I eat too. Some days are 3000 kcal and others are 1000 kcal. Most days are closer to 2000. I did not think of it as binging though. I was just hungrier than normal and then my appetite fell and I naturally ate less the next day.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    That graphic is sort of how I eat too. Some days are 3000 kcal and others are 1000 kcal. Most days are closer to 2000. I did not think of it as binging though. I was just hungrier than normal and then my appetite fell and I naturally ate less the next day.

When I think of binging it am talking about 5K to 10K calorie days I could have pre Keto era.

About every month for two now I have done Dr. Longo's FMD (Fasting Mimicking Diet) for 5 days where you are to get the same health benefits from cleaning junk proteins out of cells and generation of a new batch of stem cells as a 5 day water fast but you can have 800 calories a day but keeping carbs low and protein down to perhaps 34 grams for those 5 days.

2 servings of Shirataki spaghetti and 7 servings of On The Border Chunky Salsa is my favorite 100 calorie meal currently to drive up my keto levels during the FMD or just most anytime. I do it all with hot water from the sink and the microwave for the salsa heating to keep it simple but the cost is like $4.00 but it is not a lot of calories bang for the buck I love how it goes down and comes out.