April 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    8.5 mile run tonight, my second long run. I never thought I’d enjoy them, especially alone but actually it’s ok. Except ....and I apologise for the TMI - runners trots! I have recently been diagnosed with ibs. I am trying to eliminate things and find out what helps but it’s early days. Last long run I got home ok but then literally spent most of the next hour in the loo. Tonight I was 5 miles out when the cramps started. There was no facilities anywhere near by, for a few minutes I thought I might have to ring hubby but I walked a while and it eased. I was just walking in about 1/4 mile from home when they came again much more urgent, I just made it into the loo! Obviously this is a concern for the half marathon, any advice. I hadn’t eaten anything unusual. I had a bowl of soup about an hour before setting off.

@samthepanda look up a low FODMAP diet. It is pretty new, but is looking very promising to treat IBS and has good clinical (but early, so not a lot) research behind it.

These people are like the experts on it:

https://www.monashfodmap.com/ibs-central/i-have-ibs/starting-the-low-fodmap-diet/

But NIH and others have info too.

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    Just a quick post. Getting ready to leave town. Studying for a certification test. Trying to keep working out even if it is on the treadmill.

April 2....5.28 miles (Monon trail)
    April 4....5.34 miles (Monon trail)
    April 6....2.25 miles (treadmill)
    April 7...2.36 miles (treadmill)
    April 8...2.65 miles (treadmill)
    April 9...6.33 miles (Monon trail)
    April 11...2.38 (treadmill)
    April 13...6.04 miles (Monon trail)
    April 16...2.46 miles (treadmill)
    April 17...2.4 miles (treadmill)
    April 19...1.58 miles (treadmill)
    April 23...6.55 miles (Monon trail)

Total....45.62
    Goal....50 miles

Still trying to catch up on posts. No runs over the weekend due to visiting my family on Easter and preparing to test this week.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    8.5 mile run tonight, my second long run. I never thought I’d enjoy them, especially alone but actually it’s ok. Except ....and I apologise for the TMI - runners trots! I have recently been diagnosed with ibs. I am trying to eliminate things and find out what helps but it’s early days. Last long run I got home ok but then literally spent most of the next hour in the loo. Tonight I was 5 miles out when the cramps started. There was no facilities anywhere near by, for a few minutes I thought I might have to ring hubby but I walked a while and it eased. I was just walking in about 1/4 mile from home when they came again much more urgent, I just made it into the loo! Obviously this is a concern for the half marathon, any advice. I hadn’t eaten anything unusual. I had a bowl of soup about an hour before setting off.

Ohh fellow IBSer! I had to do an elimination diet to figure mine out. I thought gluten was a problem but turned out to be mostly soy that is nearly always in the gluten containing food. It also gives me a migraine, but trots in 20 minutes!
    Ibuprofen is #2 on my no-no runs list.
    #3 not eating, then eating or drinking anything. Soup? Ya my guts just have that dumping syndrome reaction.
    #4 dairy. no milk, and yogurt maybe once a week.
    #5 canned tomatoes. I can do the expensive San Marzano tomatos fine.

Do you have your gallbladder? It could be the culprit, or the culprit if you don’t have it. I went to my doc and said “I really want to renew my Y membership so I can swim, but I am afraid to get in the poo-l”. He gave me a script, 2 really and said get on a good probiotic (which gave me poos. Then he gave me an antibiotic to go with the probiotic. Perfect). I don’t usually need any of them anymore, but when dh and I were dating, it was sad. Always “BATHROOM!” Horrible when you make your date stop 4-5 times to have bile-arrhea. I have no gallbladder. But ya know I never get constipated, or if I do, just put some half and half in my coffee.

ETA- HM advice. Grab some Imodium. Should put a stop to it. I use the little gel tablets. You can even take one with you on the run in case the first one wears off. I get rather dehydrated and have a no run rule if I’ve been in the bathroom x times that day. So maybe consider some electrolytes too.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Oh man! So in the 2and half hours since the run stomach has gone into overdrive! I went in the bath after putting daughter to bed. I was really cold by then so I maybe got it a bit hot but a few minutes after I got out I felt really ill. Felt so sick, couldn’t lift my head from between my knees without feeling I was going to pass out, dripping so much sweat it was like I was back in the bath! Now feel very cold, but little better. Trying to nibble a ginger biscuit and get some fluid in. Maybe I’m not cut out for distance.

Hmm. Sounds like a bug. Hope you shake it soon!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    @girlinahat I LOVE YOUR HAIR!

HA! This!! I love your hair too! Also love the shirt!

@Elise4270 I think a Hug a Runner virtual run would be great fun!
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options

Elise4270 wrote: »

Ohh fellow IBSer! I had to do an elimination diet to figure mine out. I thought gluten was a problem but turned out to be mostly soy that is nearly always in the gluten containing food. It also gives me a migraine, but trots in 20 minutes!
    Ibuprofen is #2 on my no-no runs list.
    #3 not eating, then eating or drinking anything. Soup? Ya my guts just have that dumping syndrome reaction.
    #4 dairy. no milk, and yogurt maybe once a week.
    #5 canned tomatoes. I can do the expensive San Marzano tomatos fine.

Do you have your gallbladder? It could be the culprit, or the culprit if you don’t have it. I went to my doc and said “I really want to renew my Y membership so I can swim, but I am afraid to get in the poo-l”. He gave me a script, 2 really and said get on a good probiotic (which gave me poos. Then he gave me an antibiotic to go with the probiotic. Perfect). I don’t usually need any of them anymore, but when dh and I were dating, it was sad. Always “BATHROOM!” Horrible when you make your date stop 4-5 times to have bile-arrhea. I have no gallbladder. But ya know I never get constipated, or if I do, just put some half and half in my coffee.

ETA- HM advice. Grab some Imodium. Should put a stop to it. I use the little gel tablets. You can even take one with you on the run in case the first one wears off. I get rather dehydrated and have a no run rule if I’ve been in the bathroom x times that day. So maybe consider some electrolytes too.

Thanks for the advise Elise. Definitely won’t be eating soup again before a run. Will try another long run mid week with some Imodium beforehand. If it happens again, I think I may have to give the HM a miss as can’t risk it.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Good luck on your 50K @7lenny7! You are a VERY brave man for basically going from couch to 50K after your injury. And to use all that new equipment! I wish you the very best.

K?

M!

Thanks!

SORRY!!! My bad!
    That makes it 1.60934 more impressive!! 🤯
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile Yikes. Water moccasins can be deadly. I'm glad you were a safe distance away. I thought I saw a 4th in the water, but guess it was just a stick.

@7lenny7 The waterfalls look fantastic. The flowers are simply amazing! Good luck today!

@Avidkeo Sorry you aren't feeling well. Hope you are better today. GREAT news about the jobs! Sounds like things are falling in place for you!

@Tramboman Sorry about your back. Hope it gets better soon!