April 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 I have a code for 5$ off the trinity river run. It’s not much, but it’s a good code. Anyone else that’s interested, feel free to sign up. I’m hoping to be able to do the 5k.
    xh6ba3kd2otd.jpg
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Having some doubts and would like to pick the brains of the more experienced runners round here. I know none of you are doctors or trainers and whatever I do is under my own responsibility etc etc etc, just looking for opinions!
    As most of you know, I trained for and ran a HM in December. It was probably too much too soon for someone still pretty new to running, and led to injury and having to take time off then start over from scratch. I completed c25k again, followed by an 8km training plan which I finish this weekend. My plan had been to then start a 15km plan, followed by a couple of weeks to move from 3 to 4 runs per week then start a HM plan with an aim to running my local HM on November 3rd.
    This would result in wave-like cycles, with total weekly mileage increasing during each separate plan then dialling right back down to start the next. Seemed like a really good idea when I mapped it all out.
    i40n8s1b2cog.png Btw I know there's a mistake in next week's mileage, after swapping the 2 mile run on the plan for a 7km race it will actually be 7.5 miles
    Now I'm wondering whether the dialing back parts are worth it, or whether I might as well just maintain the distances (maybe with a cut-back week once a month) until I reach the weeks when the mileage increases again...
    Thoughts?

Those last few weeks look like the Hal Higdon HM Novice 2 plan - I'm going to be starting that one in a couple of weeks, rearranged a bit for my weird summer race schedule (10K, trail 5K, 10 Mile, HM). I used his plans last year for my first and second half marathons and didn't have any injury issues. I mostly try and stick to the 10% increase per week and a lower mileage week every month or two, though I find 10% too restrictive when my weekly mileage is under about 15 miles per week.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Does anyone else wonder whether Kipchoge is human or is it just me?

After Eliud set the world record at Berlin in 2:01:something (and having previously run 2:00:25 on a track time trial that wasn't eligible for the record), he was quoted as saying something like, "I've run 2:03, 2:00, and 2:01. Next I must run a 2:02." So I see at London he ran 2:02:39.

Kind of like Babe Ruth's called shot home run.

Exactly, that's why I think he might just be a robot. Or superman!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Having some doubts and would like to pick the brains of the more experienced runners round here. I know none of you are doctors or trainers and whatever I do is under my own responsibility etc etc etc, just looking for opinions!
    As most of you know, I trained for and ran a HM in December. It was probably too much too soon for someone still pretty new to running, and led to injury and having to take time off then start over from scratch. I completed c25k again, followed by an 8km training plan which I finish this weekend. My plan had been to then start a 15km plan, followed by a couple of weeks to move from 3 to 4 runs per week then start a HM plan with an aim to running my local HM on November 3rd.
    This would result in wave-like cycles, with total weekly mileage increasing during each separate plan then dialling right back down to start the next. Seemed like a really good idea when I mapped it all out.
    i40n8s1b2cog.png Btw I know there's a mistake in next week's mileage, after swapping the 2 mile run on the plan for a 7km race it will actually be 7.5 miles
    Now I'm wondering whether the dialing back parts are worth it, or whether I might as well just maintain the distances (maybe with a cut-back week once a month) until I reach the weeks when the mileage increases again...
    Thoughts?

Those last few weeks look like the Hal Higdon HM Novice 2 plan - I'm going to be starting that one in a couple of weeks, rearranged a bit for my weird summer race schedule (10K, trail 5K, 10 Mile, HM). I used his plans last year for my first and second half marathons and didn't have any injury issues. I mostly try and stick to the 10% increase per week and a lower mileage week every month or two, though I find 10% too restrictive when my weekly mileage is under about 15 miles per week.

@MegaMooseEsq and @Elise4270 It isn't my own doing (apart from a couple of tiny tweaks), it's Hal Higdon's Novice 15km followed by a couple of weeks to adapt back to 4 runs per week instead of 3 followed by his HM Novice 2. I used the HM Novice 1 last autumn and I really liked it, but (although too much too soon led to injury in my case) I did feel I went into the race with nowhere near enough mileage under my belt. In theory this plan is around the same mileage, but it's split slightly differently and has slightly longer long runs towards the end, which I feel would leave me better prepared.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    So Hurray for cross training! I lifted legs on Friday, fairly heavy for not having done it in a while. Worked both jobs and was on the clock until 0100 Saturday morning, then back at 0700. So no run on Saturday. Sunday was a veg out day with meal prep for the week. This morning's run was just a short one as I had TRX class at 0545. I am ecstatic! Split times were fairly consistent @ around 10:15/mile and the effort felt fairly easy. Hopefully can duplicate this run feeling on Saturday for my 10K.

and @eleanorhawkins I just may steal that plan :D !

ETA: May thread anyone?

Set it up!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,412 Member
    Options
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,448 Member
    Options
    Aww, @shanaber you're the best! <3
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,412 Member
    Options
    Aww - thanks @scott6255...
    Honestly I just wanted to be first to post my goal 🤣
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    thanks @shanaber
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,691 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    DONE!

Running challenge
    1 Apr: Pilates + Yoga
    2 Apr: 6.47km
    3 Apr: Yoga
    4 Apr: 10.68km
    5 Apr: Rest (but not really, was a mad day prepping for kid’s birthday party)
    6 Apr: Yoga
    7 Apr: 9.8km
    8 Apr: 6.92km + Yoga
    9 Apr: 5.46km
    10 Apr: Yoga
    11 Apr: 10.0km
    12 Apr: Many cocktails and much food
    13 Apr: Many more cocktails and even more food
    14 Apr: Yet more cocktails and food
    15 Apr: Rest (from cocktails and food)
    16 Apr: 6.82km
    17 Apr: 10.09km
    18 Apr: Rest
    19 Apr: 17.37km plus Easter chocolate
    20 Apr: Rest plus many, many hot cross buns
    21 Apr: 10.73km plus more chocolate and hot cross buns
    22 Apr: 10.67km trying desperately to outrun the Easter bunny!
    23 Apr: 9.78km And I can’t believe it, my daughter has just won more chocolate.
    24 Apr: Rest, from all the things
    25 Apr: 12km trail run with my running club
    26 Apr: Yogalates - first class in over two weeks, nearly fell over more than once.
    27 Apr: 8.10km + Yoga
    28 Apr: 12.1km
    29 Apr: 6.61km + Pilates + Yoga
    30 Apr: 6.59km

160.19 of 160km for April
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Thank you, @shanaber !!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq and @Elise4270 It isn't my own doing (apart from a couple of tiny tweaks), it's Hal Higdon's Novice 15km followed by a couple of weeks to adapt back to 4 runs per week instead of 3 followed by his HM Novice 2. I used the HM Novice 1 last autumn and I really liked it, but (although too much too soon led to injury in my case) I did feel I went into the race with nowhere near enough mileage under my belt. In theory this plan is around the same mileage, but it's split slightly differently and has slightly longer long runs towards the end, which I feel would leave me better prepared.

That is pretty much how all of my plans come about. I find one I like from someone like Hal and then adjust it to my reality. :smiley:
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    WTG @shanaber and thank you for setting up May thread ma'am B) !