What is your key to a long successful marriage ?

Options

Replies

• Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Communication. Almost every problem my hubby and I have had came down to poor communication. Be clear about what you want, need, expect, desire, fear, ect. The rest will fall into place, imo.
    This is it! If you can tell each other these things than they can tell you if they can give you what you need. Aft that it is about finding a compromise that makes both feel their needs are met.

8 years in October
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Patience and an amazing sense of humor - stupid humor, dark humor, fart humor - ALL HUMOR you need it all.
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Respect, Communication, and sacrifice.
  • pete131004
    pete131004 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maried since June 1985.

Dont listen to the advice of others .
    Your Wife is not your Mother.
    Share Everything (Both Ways!)
    Truth & Trust
    Kids you Love - And Love you back.
    Dont expect thanks.
    Nexer go to bed with bad words on your lips or thoughts in your head.
    Always remember, you chose each other above all others.
  • Lanise_10
    Lanise_10 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are celebrating our 27th anniversary on Sept 30. Honestly, I have no idea how we've done it. Trial and error... LOL We're both stubborn, we argue, we are total opposites....but at the end of the day we are always there for each other.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Never getting married.
    Marriage is the transfer of wealth from men to women.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/young-men-giving-up-on-marriage-women-arent-women-anymore/

This article made me vomit in my mouth a little.

But if the transfer of wealth from men to women is really your primary concern, they make these wonderful things called prenuptial agreements. My husband and I have one because we'd both built up a fair amount of personal savings and investments before we were married and wanted to maintain financial independence.

Drafting a prenup forces a couple to have an honest conversation about money, and provide full disclosure of your financial positions, which most couples do not do enough.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Married 41 years (to the same person!)

There are very few things a person need to have a good, long lasting marriage. It is not always easy.

Keys to a good long lasting marriage:
    1. Love
    2. Respect
    3. Compromise
    4. Adhere to your marriage vows
    5. Choose your battles (being is not always right if you know what I mean)

Oh and lots of sex!
  • aquiva33
    aquiva33 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I got married at 19 and we're 13 years in. Communication and keeping it fun makes all the difference.
  • aquiva33
    aquiva33 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Maried since June 1985.

Dont listen to the advice of others .
    Your Wife is not your Mother.
    Share Everything (Both Ways!)
    Truth & Trust
    Kids you Love - And Love you back.
    Dont expect thanks.
    Nexer go to bed with bad words on your lips or thoughts in your head.
    Always remember, you chose each other above all others.

True
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Marry the right person. You can fall in love with anyone, if you let yourself, but be logical about it. Choosing a life partner is choosing a life.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    For the man- conforming

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Resistance is futile!
  • PaulaDygert
    PaulaDygert Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    transparency and always finding new ways to fall in love with him all over again.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I would say communication.
  • ACrowsDay
    ACrowsDay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    1 Corinthians 13:4 says it all...just my opinion! :D
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Not really, it's been reported that 40% of women make more money than their husbands. I also am one of those women.

I would suggest you work on your reading comprehension a bit, because that number is more like 24% (married, kids or not) or 15% (primary earner, with kids).

The 40% you mention is households with kids... including single-parent ones. Not 40% of women, or 40% of heterosexual couples... which are entirely different things.
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    transparency and always finding new ways to fall in love with him all over again.

this! So many of the comments above are important but this stood out for me. It is so easy to become complacent and falling in love all over again is vital - along with rembering why you fell in love in the first place.
  • bdeezy3396
    bdeezy3396 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Do you want to be happy? or do you want to be right?
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    My parents have been married 37 years this December. They credit a big part of it to being married nearly a decade before having children. They probably wouldn't have waited quite that long had they been able to have kids before then, but establishing themselves as a couple before adding the stress of having children really helped them. I'm sure that's not the only reason, just the one that stands out most.

And, of course, what helped them won't necessarily help everyone. Plenty of people have kids right away and have wonderful, long marriages.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who just celebrated his 50th wedding anniversary. When I asked him what was his secret, he looked down for a moment, paused and said, "Neither one of us hears very well."

Oh and "Yes Dear" still works after 40 years married
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    We're best friends and tell each other everything (no secrets). We respect each other and have an odd sense of humor with each other. Many people look at us like we nuts but we get it!