Mad cow! How to deal with aggressive cattle?

Options
124»

Replies

• grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    The important thing to remember is that cows are deeply stupid.

This isn't the conclusion I've arrived at after first studying about then working with cattle in one capacity or another, on and off, for...a while...now.

Am I biased? Maybe. If you asked me are they stupid sometimes/do stupid things, I would say absolutely. Even have a few battle injuries/stories of my own that feature them (like getting actually bit by a cow once). But then again, so are/do humans (been bit by one of them once, too, lol). Doesn't make humans in general viewed as deeply stupid, so why does it for cows?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Horns/no horns have nothing to do with age; some breeds are naturally polled (hornless), and others have theirs removed as calves.

If not yearling bulls feeling that first rush of testosterone or mama cows with calves, truly just heifers (sub-adults), stand your ground and be aggressive back. If you run, they will chase you. Have a telescoping trekking pole with you. They are super pushy-curious and will half-circle/encircle you in the ducking/bobbing line of, but easy to fend off. The nose leather is the most sensitive part of if you have to poke/swat one with a pole tip. Clicking/clucking (like you do to a horse), whistling, and "shhhh, shhhh"ing sounds are what cattle are used to hearing to get them to move. Along with "Hup! Hup!" and "HA!" and "Get!" and other verbal yells you'd use to push/get something moving away from you.

If they are bulls, move slowly away and never take your eyes off of them. If you run, they will chase you and not be as benign as curious heifers.

And then there are the ones like we have around here that keep their horns.

My comment was made to correct the previously stated misconception that horns on cattle might somehow determine the age of said cattle, backing it up with facts. Pretty sure I did not say no cattle have horns. :)

For what it is worth, Scottish Highlands are pretty docile unless crap-bred, even with those horns (which are prized and so typically not dehorned). It's only the ones with horns with Bos Indicus vs. Bos Taurus you *really* have to worry about. Well, other than dairy bulls, horns or no. They are some of the worst, and they'll actually stalk you in the pens when you're preg checking.

I know, just using any excuse to post a photo of my favorite breed. These are on a farm just outside of Madison, WI. and there are quite a few herds in my state. I fell in love with them when hiking the Highlands and was happy to see more and more farmers raising them here. One of the few breeds that actually are decent producers of both beef and dairy. Never had any problems, even when walking in their fields.