kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I have resisted buying the Reeses peanut butter eggs so far. Maybe because I found a great deal on peanut butter Christmas trees the first of the year and still have some (I am ashamed at how many but they were 10 cents each) in my freezer.

I did, however, dye my hard boiled eggs for the week. Looks pretty in my lunch bag!

I won't eat a non standard cup reeeses. I miss the ridges and the chocolate to pb filling ratio is off when you change the shape.

This This This! Everyone thinks I’m crazy when I say I don’t like the Reese’s Eggs.

I do like Reese’s miniatures though. Ridges plus a slightly better chocolate to PB ratio. Especially when frozen.

I don't know why anyone would think it is crazy. If you change the amount of ingredients in a recipe you change the final flavor. Also, if you change the temperature of something you change the intensity of the flavor. Everyone around here seems to get excited about ice cold watermelon but it tastes sweeter at room temperature or warmer.

Reeses eggs are not as good. They are not 'spit them out horrible' but they are meh like eating the off brand peanut butter cups. I won't eat one again under normal circumstances. They are not worth the calories.

I think the ice-cold watermelon thing is just a hold-over from the days before refrigeration. If you could find a swiftly running stream coming down from higher elevations and stick your watermelons in for a few hours, they'd be nice and cold and refreshing when you pulled them out and cut into them, and possibly the only thing being served at a summer picnic or celebration that was below 80 degrees F.

I think watermelon used to be seen (especially in the south) as a food to eat to counteract overly hot weather, so ice cold is even better.

I actually hated watermelon when I was a kid, since I was used to it chilled (and not locally grown), and found it tasteless with annoying seeds. I had basically avoided it as an adult until I got one in a farm box some years ago and felt compelled to try it and was surprised at how tasty it was -- way better not super chilled (and local). Seeds still kind of annoying.

You reminded me of a day decades ago when we were blackberry picking in a pasture on a very hot and thirsty Florida day. On the long walk back to our car, we found a watermelon patch. I regret now to say that we stole and ate a watermelon right there. No knife to cut it with, we had to break it open on a fence post. It not only wasn't chilled, it was warm.

Trespassing, theft and vandalism all in one day. Broke my personal record for mischief and had the best tasting melon before or since.

If it soothes your conscience any, we always planted watermelons (among many other things) when I was a kid and couldn't give the things away fast enough :tongue: They are prolific!

My mother can't give away cucumbers fast enough. Visitors aren't allowed to leave without taking some. I volunteered on a political campaign last summer and brought cukes and tomatoes to each meeting. One of the volunteers finally complained, "How about some cookies next time?" Fortunately for him, it was at the end of cucumber season so he got his wish for the remaining weeks until election day.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I have resisted buying the Reeses peanut butter eggs so far. Maybe because I found a great deal on peanut butter Christmas trees the first of the year and still have some (I am ashamed at how many but they were 10 cents each) in my freezer.

I did, however, dye my hard boiled eggs for the week. Looks pretty in my lunch bag!

I won't eat a non standard cup reeeses. I miss the ridges and the chocolate to pb filling ratio is off when you change the shape.

This This This! Everyone thinks I’m crazy when I say I don’t like the Reese’s Eggs.

I do like Reese’s miniatures though. Ridges plus a slightly better chocolate to PB ratio. Especially when frozen.

I don't know why anyone would think it is crazy. If you change the amount of ingredients in a recipe you change the final flavor. Also, if you change the temperature of something you change the intensity of the flavor. Everyone around here seems to get excited about ice cold watermelon but it tastes sweeter at room temperature or warmer.

Reeses eggs are not as good. They are not 'spit them out horrible' but they are meh like eating the off brand peanut butter cups. I won't eat one again under normal circumstances. They are not worth the calories.

I think the ice-cold watermelon thing is just a hold-over from the days before refrigeration. If you could find a swiftly running stream coming down from higher elevations and stick your watermelons in for a few hours, they'd be nice and cold and refreshing when you pulled them out and cut into them, and possibly the only thing being served at a summer picnic or celebration that was below 80 degrees F.

I think watermelon used to be seen (especially in the south) as a food to eat to counteract overly hot weather, so ice cold is even better.

I actually hated watermelon when I was a kid, since I was used to it chilled (and not locally grown), and found it tasteless with annoying seeds. I had basically avoided it as an adult until I got one in a farm box some years ago and felt compelled to try it and was surprised at how tasty it was -- way better not super chilled (and local). Seeds still kind of annoying.

Ya, it's amazing what a difference local sourcing can make in taste. Like peaches. I'd turn down free supermarket peaches that were picked way under-ripe so they can be transported, but don't mind paying a premium for the heavenly local peaches.

Yes, peaches is another one, and strawberries.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

You reminded me of a day decades ago when we were blackberry picking in a pasture on a very hot and thirsty Florida day. On the long walk back to our car, we found a watermelon patch. I regret now to say that we stole and ate a watermelon right there. No knife to cut it with, we had to break it open on a fence post. It not only wasn't chilled, it was warm.

Trespassing, theft and vandalism all in one day. Broke my personal record for mischief and had the best tasting melon before or since.

If it soothes your conscience any, we always planted watermelons (among many other things) when I was a kid and couldn't give the things away fast enough :tongue: They are prolific!

That does kind of soothe my conscience. That outing was memorable for a couple other events involving a bull and an irate farmer with a shotgun. Looking back at that entire era in my life, I don't know how I didn't end up jail.

Heh -- I was in Mississippi last week, and multiple people told stories about stealing watermelon in their youth. I think it's the gateway to a life of crime in the south! (People involved are now respected professionals, however.)