From couch to triathlon

lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
5 years ago I was 150 lbs overweight, I couldn't walk 1/4 mile and could barely make it up my own steep driveway. When I started working with a trainer, I couldn't do a wall squat and on-step step ups were a challenge. I have shared my story many times on here. Now the latest update:

This past Sunday, a week before my 64th birthday, I completed my first individual tri . (Last fall I was part of a tri relay team.)

500 yd swim in a 10 lane saltwater pool, 13.65 mi bike ride along the Snohomish river, and 5k along the Centennial Trail, which I walked.

Weather was 40s but dry after a week of wet slop that had me quite worried. Thus, I did a full change to dry clothes after the swim, which added to my time, but that didn't really bother me. I knew if I started the bike wet and cold there would not be a good ending.

I always try to be well prepared, and I came armed with a roll of trash bags to keep the gear in my transition area dry. I was the hit of my bike-rack mates when I started sharing trash bags with others who had none. It was especially good because transition was on a WET grassy area.

The facilities and course were gorgeous, my hubby was my ever-helpful "Sherpa", photographer, and cheering squad. He was as excited as I was and not nearly as nervous (fortunately).

I was 1/1 in my age group and last overall. I was the second oldest female participant in the event. They announced my name as I crossed the finish line and everyone was cheering, pretty cool! Not everyone can be first and last in the same race LOL. I was last in my first 5k, so it's only appropriate that I was last in my first triathlon. It keeps the theme of our "Tri Turtle" training group alive!

Yes, it's taken me almost 5 years to get this far. Yes, there are many things I still cannot do. Yes, I put on dry clothes for the bike. Yes, I walked. Yes, I was last in the field.

BUT, I'm in a much better place than I was 5 years ago. There are many things I can do now that I NEVER did before. I did what I needed to do to ENJOY the race and ensure I could finish without too much misery or injury. I was ahead of 15 DNS (registered but did not start) and thousands of people who didn't even tri.

I feel that sometimes it's the turtle who finishes last who is trying harder and going further out of their comfort zone that all those who finish before them. I will keep doing what I want to do and keep making my life better, regardless of whether someone might think I'm "embarrassing myself", "not as fast as someone," "too slow," "look goofy", "judge me", or whatever. It just does not matter to me. I'm not there for others, I'm there for ME!

Thank you to all who have shared in my journey these past several years!

vewimrnkiu42.jpg
m9is38r8uecm.jpgydz1aur5yk5g.jpg
nhqrxn4z40jw.jpg
a5olo7a0lfsr.jpg
ojj9bf6u23ir.jpg
ydfpj12y8uat.jpg
9c1khaoxn5ft.jpg

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Awesome!

We 64 year young ones need to show’em. Keep marching forward!
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Congratulations! Your story is so inspiring. <3
  • JCFan3
    JCFan3 Posts: 146 Member
    Fantastic job. Way to go. Keep up the great work. You are an inspiration!!
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    @lorrpb You are... wow. Amazing, inspiring, incredible... Congrats on winning the end! Congrats on doing! Just congrats. :smiley:
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Very nice. Congratulations. It's important for all of us to remember why we do some of these things. "Winning" is different for many of us and not the same as being first across the finish line.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,231 Member
    I love this post so much!!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,915 Member
    Amazing job....Congrats :)
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Wow...congratulations!! Glad you did it at your pace & didn't get hurt. That's the way I would want to do it, too.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Once again you are an inspiration! Congrats on finishing and being the only one in our age group to have the guts to do it. I know how hard you trained for it. Great job.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    You are incredible!!
  • rontuueyeslikeafox
    rontuueyeslikeafox Posts: 99 Member
    You are amazing :)
  • BrindleRun
    BrindleRun Posts: 28 Member
    Congratulations! You look so happy at the finish! A triathlon is on my bucket list. You’re an inspiration.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    AMAZING!!! 👏👏👏 and so inspiring! Congrats!!! <3
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Pretty cool.

And you already are contemplating your next one out, right?

And looking at what could be the big one way out?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Definitely first place not last.
    Well done young lady. :flowerforyou:
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Welcome to the club triathlete!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Pretty cool.

And you already are contemplating your next one out, right?

And looking at what could be the big one way out?

I am scheduled for another one in August. As for the big one, not so much, unless perhaps as part of a relay team. I'm not that masochistic. :D
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    LOVE it!!! you did awesome!
  • jlp1994
    jlp1994 Posts: 28 Member
    That is OUTSTANDING!!! Well done!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!