Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Thyroid Struggle is Real

2

Replies

  • laceygaywilsonlaceygaywilson Posts: 290Member Member Posts: 290Member Member
    emmies_123 wrote: »
    I have a small goiter in my neck due to thyroid, and my throat is almost always irritated to some degree. Feels as if I'm coming down with a cold/sore throat, but never gets serious enough for meds. Take levothyroxine every morning for the last however many years. I did go up in weight initially, but not terribly bad and I have worked it back off again over the past year.

    Does anyone else ever sometimes feel like their throat closes up/has marble in it when laying down? It doesn't happen often, but every now and again when i'm in bed it feels like I have obstruction in throat and can't breathe regardless of position I lay in.

    Yes!!! All the time!! I have coughing fits randomly!! Want to just hack it up but it's always there!!!
  • laceygaywilsonlaceygaywilson Posts: 290Member Member Posts: 290Member Member
    Aunt Flo didn't show me down too much this month pushed right through!! YEEEEEEES PROGRESS!!!!
  • ConnieAGintherConnieAGinther Posts: 514Member Member Posts: 514Member Member
    I have underactive thyroid and even though I am counting all calories and on thyroid meds, I keep gaining weight. I have been on meds for about 2 - 3 years and was certainly losing some weight in the beginning, but now it is a real struggle. I am just ready to cry and give up.
  • mprocyszynmprocyszyn Posts: 54Member Member Posts: 54Member Member
    I was diagnozed with low thyroid when I was 50 (now 69) and have taken meds ever since. One thing the Dr. told me was take the meds on empty stomach and no other meds or vitamins for an hour or more, food, coffee to wait atleast a half hour. He also told me I must be consistent in taking the meds as they were a type that worked as you took them and missing just one dose would effect the thyroid. But like everyone else here the weight gain started with the thyroid issue and menopause and it would not budge for the last 18 years. Finally in Oct. (2018) I joined MFP and started low carb (about 80 gms or below) portion control and of course logging of food. Even though I have mobility issues (walker) try some form of exercise and finally up to middle of March was able to lose 18 lbs. Couldn't believe that finally something was moving...problem is since then the weight has not moved up or down. I am so frustrated like you ConnieAGint ready to cry....but this time....I will NOT give up...I still keep track of food and have logged each day....it has got to start moving again eventually. Has anyone else experienced this and have noticed also craving sweet stuff very badly this last month. I have given in a few times but like I said I will not give up not this time. How long can a stall in loss last???? Thanks for any help or encouragement. Mary

  • laceygaywilsonlaceygaywilson Posts: 290Member Member Posts: 290Member Member
    I have underactive thyroid and even though I am counting all calories and on thyroid meds, I keep gaining weight. I have been on meds for about 2 - 3 years and was certainly losing some weight in the beginning, but now it is a real struggle. I am just ready to cry and give up.

    Sent you a friend request!!! Don't give up!! I'm living proof you can beat the thyroid Struggle!!!! Support makes a huge difference!!!
  • laceygaywilsonlaceygaywilson Posts: 290Member Member Posts: 290Member Member
    mprocyszyn wrote: »
    I was diagnozed with low thyroid when I was 50 (now 69) and have taken meds ever since. One thing the Dr. told me was take the meds on empty stomach and no other meds or vitamins for an hour or more, food, coffee to wait atleast a half hour. He also told me I must be consistent in taking the meds as they were a type that worked as you took them and missing just one dose would effect the thyroid. But like everyone else here the weight gain started with the thyroid issue and menopause and it would not budge for the last 18 years. Finally in Oct. (2018) I joined MFP and started low carb (about 80 gms or below) portion control and of course logging of food. Even though I have mobility issues (walker) try some form of exercise and finally up to middle of March was able to lose 18 lbs. Couldn't believe that finally something was moving...problem is since then the weight has not moved up or down. I am so frustrated like you ConnieAGint ready to cry....but this time....I will NOT give up...I still keep track of food and have logged each day....it has got to start moving again eventually. Has anyone else experienced this and have noticed also craving sweet stuff very badly this last month. I have given in a few times but like I said I will not give up not this time. How long can a stall in loss last???? Thanks for any help or encouragement. Mary

    Hey Mary my last stall was 60 days!! Then I started losing again!!! Remember with thyroid it's more about how you feel than the scale!!! Working out and moving helps us feel better!! Yoga releases toxins and helps thyroid function!!! Caffeine is a killer!! I had to cut it out almost completely!!! I miss it sometimes lol but now decaf is plenty boost most of the time!! Sugar is hard to keep out when we want it daily!! I give myself at least 150 calories of something sweet everyday so I still know I'm alive and I have less binges that way!!! Staying positive is the number one key to success!! Scale is only part of the process!! We hold a lot of water and bloat with our thyroids malfunctioning! So work to feel better! Make your goals about moving more moving faster and moving longer! You will get stronger and that scale will eventually move with you!!!
  • mprocyszynmprocyszyn Posts: 54Member Member Posts: 54Member Member
    60 days!!!!! That makes me feel better and I am glad that the weight isn't going up just sitting there. With the warmer weather hoping to get out walking more. Lately though its been raining a lot and the temps have not been too much like spring but I will wait it out and continue with what I am doing. Thanks for your thoughts. Mary
  • CorkyLaRueCorkyLaRue Posts: 29Member Member Posts: 29Member Member
    Been hypothyroid most of my life. It took docs years to diagnose though. I am medicated and still find days when I feel it is low. My body temp runs between 96 and 97 most of the time. I lost 100+ pounds despite my thyroid so just wanted to encourage those still trying that it can be done. I do find my maintenance calories are a bit lower than projected likely because of my thyroid. Hang in there folks and keep believing.

    Thanks for this. I thought I was losing my mind when I take my temp and it is ALWAYS 196-197 degrees (even in the dr. office). My husband teases me and calls me a snake. I am convinced this (low temp) impacts how well my body burns calories overall. Before I was hypothyroid I rocked it - worked out all the time, ate a healthy diet, could drink alcohol, etc., etc. Now.... well, I'm starting over again++++.
  • laceygaywilsonlaceygaywilson Posts: 290Member Member Posts: 290Member Member
    Hope y'all are feeling strong and confident this mother's day weekend!!! Enjoy a lil rest!! Eat something yummy!! Remember you are a badass!!!
  • laceygaywilsonlaceygaywilson Posts: 290Member Member Posts: 290Member Member
    Goals can be crushed even with thyroid issues!! I hit my original goal!! 160.6!!! Wow y'all now I see endless possibilities!!! Everything now is BONUS!!!
  • April4thApril4th Posts: 139Member Member Posts: 139Member Member
    A little over six months ago, I was admitted to the ICU after being diagnosed as being in the middle of a thyroid storm. Had a heart rate of 220. Lungs were full of fluid and I was in a-fib. Turns out for an unknown amount of time leading up to this event, I had hyperthyroidism. And all the awesome weight loss progress I had made was likely due to that. Not to my eating better and exercising. Total bummer.

    Anyway, after 9 days in the hospital, I was released. A couple of months later, once my hormone levels and heart rate stabilized, they did surgery and removed my thyroid. And I've gained back a significant amount of weight. Very frustrated. The endocrinologist insisted gaining weight wouldn't happen. Then he was all concerned about my weight gain at my last check up. Honestly, I feel like a loser but not in the good way.
  • ginnytezginnytez Posts: 222Member, Premium Member Posts: 222Member, Premium Member
    I had total thyroidectomy in 1996--thought for several years that was why I couldn't lose weight. When I hit 220, I had to try something, Did low carb then and lost 40 pounds. Stayed there for a number of years, With monitoring calories (off and on over the last few years), I am now very close to 150. I had been lower than that (145) before getting both hips replaced.

    It is possible to lose the weight-especially if meds are adjusted correctly.
  • laceygaywilsonlaceygaywilson Posts: 290Member Member Posts: 290Member Member
    April4th wrote: »
    A little over six months ago, I was admitted to the ICU after being diagnosed as being in the middle of a thyroid storm. Had a heart rate of 220. Lungs were full of fluid and I was in a-fib. Turns out for an unknown amount of time leading up to this event, I had hyperthyroidism. And all the awesome weight loss progress I had made was likely due to that. Not to my eating better and exercising. Total bummer.

    Anyway, after 9 days in the hospital, I was released. A couple of months later, once my hormone levels and heart rate stabilized, they did surgery and removed my thyroid. And I've gained back a significant amount of weight. Very frustrated. The endocrinologist insisted gaining weight wouldn't happen. Then he was all concerned about my weight gain at my last check up. Honestly, I feel like a loser but not in the good way.

    You have been through the fire with your thyroid!!! Don't give up!!! Having a positive outlook helps so much!! Also find some goals outside of the scale!! I am shooting to run 3 miles in 30 mins running!! 5 miles in 30 mins on my mountain bike!! 90 mins yoga!!! Finish the 30 day fit challenge all the way through HARD2!! Almost done with medium 1!!! As soon as I just monitor the scale and started trying to hit other goals.....there it went!!! You can do this!!!! Sending love and strength!!!
  • AvesevesAveseves Posts: 49Member Member Posts: 49Member Member
    Diagnosed with hypothyroidism after having my second daughter. I sympathize with you all as I'm struggling as well. It's awful. My doctor put me on nature thyroid which helps but not all my symptoms have disappeared. Any specific diets you follow to make symptoms less severe?
  • kimothyschmakimothyschma Posts: 185Member Member Posts: 185Member Member
    I’m hypo and I have been on 25 mcg synthroid since 2013 and now my doctor (family physician) wants me to go off of it for 3 months and get my levels tested. I’m really worried about this but he’s not refilling my prescription. Am I gonna gain a bunch of weight? Should I decrease my intake? Has anyone been on synthroid and then stopped it?
  • ginnytezginnytez Posts: 222Member, Premium Member Posts: 222Member, Premium Member
    I have been taken off synthroid a couple of times for testing for my thyroid cancer. Never heard of someone being taken off for three months, but could be completely different since I have no thyroid. I was off for 10 days or so and felt horrible (muscle aches, etc.) Maybe eat like you are and monitor for week or two before decreasing intake.
  • kimothyschmakimothyschma Posts: 185Member Member Posts: 185Member Member
    ginnytez wrote: »
    I have been taken off synthroid a couple of times for testing for my thyroid cancer. Never heard of someone being taken off for three months, but could be completely different since I have no thyroid. I was off for 10 days or so and felt horrible (muscle aches, etc.) Maybe eat like you are and monitor for week or two before decreasing intake.

    Thanks for responding. He says since I'm done having kids my TSH doesn't need to be as low. This doesn't seem like a good enough reason to me. But I'm going to take meticulous notes about how I feel to show him.
    edited May 21
  • AdaMaraNmaAdaMaraNma Posts: 15Member, Premium Member Posts: 15Member, Premium Member
    Anyone with thyroid issues shoulf try pure black seed oil. Do some research. Its helped a lot of people.
  • laceygaywilsonlaceygaywilson Posts: 290Member Member Posts: 290Member Member
    ginnytez wrote: »
    I have been taken off synthroid a couple of times for testing for my thyroid cancer. Never heard of someone being taken off for three months, but could be completely different since I have no thyroid. I was off for 10 days or so and felt horrible (muscle aches, etc.) Maybe eat like you are and monitor for week or two before decreasing intake.

    Thanks for responding. He says since I'm done having kids my TSH doesn't need to be as low. This doesn't seem like a good enough reason to me. But I'm going to take meticulous notes about how I feel to show him.

    They need a clear picture of of what's going on in your thyroid! It takes that long time to flush the meds and get a natural reaction!! You may find you don't need em at all now!!! I felt better off the meds!! Keep notes and watch your body temp and weight daily!!! You will make it!!!
  • laceygaywilsonlaceygaywilson Posts: 290Member Member Posts: 290Member Member
    Aveseves wrote: »
    Diagnosed with hypothyroidism after having my second daughter. I sympathize with you all as I'm struggling as well. It's awful. My doctor put me on nature thyroid which helps but not all my symptoms have disappeared. Any specific diets you follow to make symptoms less severe?

    I have found low carbs low sugar high protein works for me!! Lots of salad and fresh spinach!! Eat iodized sea salt!! Use apples and peanut butter for energy!! Stay away from caffeine and carbonation!!!! Water water water water!!!! But every thyroid Struggle is different find what works for you and stick to it like glue!!!!
Sign In or Register to comment.