Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Thyroid Struggle is Real

13»

Replies

• kimny72kimny72 Posts: 12,377Member Member Posts: 12,377Member Member
    AdaMaraNma wrote: »
    Anyone with thyroid issues shoulf try pure black seed oil. Do some research. Its helped a lot of people.

Examine .com is a great resource for the scientifically verifiable uses and efficacy of supplements. It doesn't even mention thyroid:

https://examine.com/supplements/nigella-sativa/

The only study I could find was a very small sample group with unclear parameters for success.

Thyroid issues are easy marks for scam artists because there is clearly so much we still don't understand about it. As others have mentioned, finding a doctor who will listen to you and willing to work with you is key, though not always easy!
  • HermanLilyHermanLily Posts: 207Member Member Posts: 207Member Member
    Levothyroxine only gives you T4
    Armour Thyroid gives you T3 and T4, Armour Thyroid made a huge difference for me.
    Levothyroxine left me with way to many symptoms, like couldn't function!
    Now, I am working out 6 days a week.
  • laurabinilaurabini Posts: 280Member Member Posts: 280Member Member
    I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism two years ago, still haven't found the right dosage of levothyroxine for me.
    I am now working with a nutritionist, since doctors only care about medicines and never mention that food can make such a difference.
    Since changing my diet I have felt so much better and full of energy! I am still trying to lose the pounds I've gained since being diagnosed, but at least I don't feel sluggish all the time anymore!
    Feel free to add me :)
  • laceygaywilsonlaceygaywilson Posts: 288Member Member Posts: 288Member Member
    laurabini wrote: »
    I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism two years ago, still haven't found the right dosage of levothyroxine for me.
    I am now working with a nutritionist, since doctors only care about medicines and never mention that food can make such a difference.
    Since changing my diet I have felt so much better and full of energy! I am still trying to lose the pounds I've gained since being diagnosed, but at least I don't feel sluggish all the time anymore!
    Feel free to add me :)

Finding the right food helps soooooo much!!! The rest will fall into line!!!!
  • peggs71peggs71 Posts: 3Member Member Posts: 3Member Member
    I was on Synthroid for years with no positive effects for weight loss until my uncle, an Internist in another state, recommended I request a change in meds to Armour Thyroid. It is natural and straight (well, after processed by the pharmaceutical company) from the pig. It is about the same cost-wise as Synthroid, but has enabled me to lose over 100 lbs. The change to Armour also perked up my energy level like crazy! Hope this helps!
    Hey y'all!!! Hope you are all feeling strong and hitting goals!!! I got a lil possible with my food intake now I'm up with salt and water bloat!! Gonna shake it off quick!!! Next goal 150!!!! Here we gooooooo
  • deannalfisherdeannalfisher Posts: 4,886Member, Premium Member Posts: 4,886Member, Premium Member
    I’m hypo and I have been on 25 mcg synthroid since 2013 and now my doctor (family physician) wants me to go off of it for 3 months and get my levels tested. I’m really worried about this but he’s not refilling my prescription. Am I gonna gain a bunch of weight? Should I decrease my intake? Has anyone been on synthroid and then stopped it?

what does your endocrinologist say? taking someone off thyroid meds can cause issues and just to test levels shouldn't be done without a REALLY good reason
  • deannalfisherdeannalfisher Posts: 4,886Member, Premium Member Posts: 4,886Member, Premium Member
    peggs71 wrote: »
    I was on Synthroid for years with no positive effects for weight loss until my uncle, an Internist in another state, recommended I request a change in meds to Armour Thyroid. It is natural and straight (well, after processed by the pharmaceutical company) from the pig. It is about the same cost-wise as Synthroid, but has enabled me to lose over 100 lbs. The change to Armour also perked up my energy level like crazy! Hope this helps!

you were likely having an issue converting T4 to T3 - levo is a straight T4 medication; armour is both T3/T4
  • kimothyschmakimothyschma Posts: 185Member Member Posts: 185Member Member
    what does your endocrinologist say? taking someone off thyroid meds can cause issues and just to test levels shouldn't be done without a REALLY good reason

I don't have an endocrinologist. :neutral: Unfortunately, I have an issue with my insurance right now and I don't think I'm going to be able to go to one any time soon.
    I saw two different surgeons, two different endocrinologist, a gynocologys, several different primary care physician all of them looked at me like a test subject. Truth is .....thyroid Struggle is something that is under researched and over medicated! Everywhere I went they just threw new meds at me. Try this see what happens.....I don't think there are many Dr. Out there that know there *kitten* about thyroid!! Most of em looked at me nuts when I told em what I was dealing with!!! They took me on and off the meds for testing I was a damn guinea pig!!! Always get a second opinion!!! Thyroid Struggle is real!!! It's hard to find a Dr. Hard to find anything that truly helps for a long period of time!! Hard to feel like yourself!! Be patient and know your body!! I finally got mad and took over!! I know how I feel and what they were telling me was not helping!!!! My journey has been so frustrating. Food exercise and a good support system have been the catalyst to over coming my daily thyroid Struggle!!! Research learn all you can and go at it educated!!! My best advice!!!!
  • jimmyjbanksjimmyjbanks Posts: 601Member Member Posts: 601Member Member
    I am reading most of these comments and cannot believe the doctors that you all have been dealing with. I am so thankful that I have had nothing but good doctors. Get a second, third, fourth opinion if needed!!!!

My ENT noticed about 7 years ago that I had what appeared to be an enlarged thyroid. He ordered a sonogram and it was revealed that I had several nodules on both sides. He then ordered a biopsy which came back benign. He ordered sonograms each year after and they were followed by biopsies. The nodules were growing but thankfully the results were always benign. Blood tests during this time always showed my thyroid function was good with no issues.

At the end of 2017, after they continued to grow, my ENT referred me to an Endocrinologist. After a thorough examination and study of all of my labs and history, he concluded that while it was not an issue now my thyroid would cause me more problems than it was. Because of its growth, the nodules (goiter), was starting to restrict blood flow in my arteries at time, I would get lightheaded, restricting my swallowing and causing me throat and voice issues. His thought was that even though it was functioning perfectly, it was impacting me in other ways that could make it worse as time went on.

I was referred to and Endocrinology surgeon at the University of Maryland. As soon as the surgeon did a sonogram in his office he told he it "was a keeper." In this case that was not a good thing. It was growing up towards my left ear and needed to be removed. He said that if left unattended it could become intertwined with the arteries, nerves, etc. and that would make removal even more difficult and possibly life threatening.

I had it removed at the end of July last year and was amazed and how small my neck was afterwards. The surgeon said that I really made him work for his money. The incision was more than seven inches as he said it was like trying to fit a size 12 foot in a size 5 shoe. It was one of the larger ones he had removed. I was started on a dose of Levothyroxin but it soon was evident that it was too low. I was lethargic and had no energy. All I wanted to do was eat and sleep. As I ate mostly junk and no exercise I gained 35 pounds. They would not change it until I was 6 months post surgery but once I had the correct dose, I was a new person. I began to get my energy back and feel more like myself. I did develop some throat issues due to the intubation but I finally got them straightened out by the end of 2018. Apparently the intubation is much more invasive and a tiny percentage develop issues like I did.

I mentioned all of that to show that it is not a hopeless situation even though at times it may feel like it. My advice would be find a real doctor who does listen to you and is always looking out for your best interests. There are so many quacks and pompous jerks out there that it can be difficult. Even though my lab work showed good numbers, my thyroid still had to go. Like others have said, find a doctor that will look at your whole situation, not just lab work. I know that I am a man and that biology has a huge effect but I still think a lot of this is applicable. And I can vouch that if you are not feeling right, something is wrong. My Endocrinologist is always quick to point out that taking thyroid hormone does not make you gain weight, eating too much food does. I reminded him that when I was lethargic and had no energy, all I wanted to do was sleep and eat with no exercise. Once I felt like myself, I was able to get back to living. As of today I have lost almost 25 of those 35 pounds I gained.

I apologize for being long winded but hopefully this will help one person. Please, ADVOCATE FOR YOURSELF, because if you do not, in most cases, no one will.

Watch this video!! This has so many good points!!!

The best things in life are on the other side of terror!!!! Ooooooo WISDOM YALL!!

I needed that this morning!!

Hope this video fires you up like it just did me!!!!!