If you suddenly came into a lot of money, what would you change?

Options
Reckoner67
Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
For instance--if you hit a multi-million dollar lottery, what would you use the influx of cash to change about your life?

Replies

• Mm2Hh7
    Mm2Hh7 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I’d pay my lawyer and quit my job and go to school full time

What would you take?
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely be debt free, I love my house so I probably would stay there but do a total remodel. I wouldn't work per se but be available to volunteer more than I already do. I would also travel a lot. But overall, I wouldn't spend my money frivolously. That's not how I was raised.
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    SwannySez wrote: »
    Can we get specific on how much actual money? What I would do with $1-5M would be vastly different than what I'd do with $10-15M and even more different than what I would do with $100-150M.

Let's say it's mega millions / power Ball type lute - 150m + generationally life changing -
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Can we get specific on how much actual money? What I would do with $1-5M would be vastly different than what I'd do with $10-15M and even more different than what I would do with $100-150M.

I'm less curious about what you'd do with the dollars, but more curious about what you'd change in your life that you'd use the $$ to facilitate. The other thread about not working got me kinda headed down the rabbit trail of the two things that I believe tend to hold people back from what they want--lack of time, lack of "means".
  • ChrisCatMama
    ChrisCatMama Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I’d finally move out of New Jersey!
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Cowsfan1 wrote: »

Let's say it's mega millions / power Ball type lute - 150m + generationally life changing -

Ok, that's solid.

Reckoner67 wrote: »

I'm less curious about what you'd do with the dollars, but more curious about what you'd change in your life that you'd use the $$ to facilitate. The other thread about not working got me kinda headed down the rabbit trail of the two things that I believe tend to hold people back from what they want--lack of time, lack of "means".

Well, for me anyway, the changes would be contingent upon the amount of money.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Options
    Pay bills... invest some of the money and travel
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Buy the house I live in and renovate it. Pay off existing student loans, quit my job while finishing school. Buy a fancy boat and pay someone else to take care of it. Travel as much as possible. Donate to a few different people/groups.
  • kathryn1391
    kathryn1391 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    if it was enough, id pay off my mortgage. If it wasn't enough, id save half in a high interest account and use the rest to fund courses or a business start up.

honestly, even just being able to have a break from work right now would be lovely.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    get a financial advisor and save what they suggest, with the rest:

pay off the debt.
    go back to school full time to change careers.
    continue to landscape my yard
    continue to remodel my home
    buy a subaru
    travel a bit

• michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I would buy a nice home
    Then i would buy motorcycle. Truck's and so forth and travel
    Then i would give a good chunk of it to charity
    And finally i would pay off all my bill's
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    I'd pay off some debt.
    buy a nice house.
    i'd keep working but would become increasingly bad at my job. and hostile to coworkers. none of whom I'd have told about my winnings.
    I'd like to see how far i could take it before they threatened to fire me basically.

i think i'd like to pay people to debase themselves for my pleasure. in my spare time i mean, not as an ethos or anything. i feel like being filthy rich would be a great way to tell desperate people what to do for a little bit of money, as a source of entertainment.

in the end, I'd try to spend every cent and then die a pauper.

Might end up getting promoted like this guy

q2cy7gra518l.gif
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    i’d become a philanthropist and sit at a huge desk in a gilded office and have people come in to pitch me their ideas and if they good i’d write them an nsa check right there and if they no good *trapdoor*

also in the evenings i’d swim in my pool of gold coins to relax a bit

tumblr_n8ytcaIxDP1tg5sl7o1_500.gif
  • InkgirlKC
    InkgirlKC Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    i’d become a philanthropist and sit at a huge desk in a gilded office and have people come in to pitch me their ideas and if they good i’d write them an nsa check right there and if they no good *trapdoor*

also in the evenings i’d swim in my pool of gold coins to relax a bit

I can be your assistant?