If you suddenly came into a lot of money, what would you change?

Options

Replies

• RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    Hopefully, my credit score.

• Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Pay the rest of my house off.
    Hire contractors to finish what's left of my current house remodel instead of continuing to do all the work ourselves. A DIY full house remodel (no structural issues) takes a long time with both parents working.
    It'd be tempting to build a dream house but l'm not sure I want to take that on at this point in my life.
    Quit my job and spend a lot more time/focus on my kids and husband.
    Trade in my crappy pool for a nice pool.
    Start working on my travel bucket list.
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    I'd buy a cozy house in Connecticut with lots of trees all around it and a big front and back yard. Then I'd chopper into NYC to see all the Broadway shows, off broadway shows, live bands and elegant chanteuses with front row seats every time and then dine in a fabulous Chinese or Italian restaurant after the performance every night.

And anyone and everyone who showed me sincere goodwill at MFP could come with me anytime they want and it's on me.
  • NotSo_LittleRichard
    NotSo_LittleRichard Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I'd change my country of residence.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    The amount would make a big difference in the way that I'd spend the money.

Whether it was a smaller amount, or a *kitten* tonne, I'd use it for a sense of "security", mostly.

If it was a "smaller" amount, I'd pay off some debt, but keep a chunk for "in case" and a bit to buy something I want but for whatever reason haven't bought.

If it was a large amount, enough that I didn't have to work, I still would...I think its mentally healthy for me to get out and have to follow some sort of structure.
    I'd work odd or random jobs and move on as I felt like, to learn new stuff, meet new people, see new places, just gain different experiences and perspective. I'd explore, travel and work in different places, as I liked.

If it was a significant amount, so much I didn't have to worry about making money anymore, I'd share with family, friends and/or appropriate it as I saw fit. I'd want to spend it in my lifetime, not squirrel it away in a bank.
  • prehistoricmoongoddess
    prehistoricmoongoddess Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I would always travel first class. I'd get an annual train ticket to enable me to go anywhere, anytime. No longer would I have to struggle with luggage either - I'd expect that to be collected and be at my destination waiting for me.

I've never flown more than 4 hrs - I'm sure I'd enjoy long haul if I did that first class too.

I like my apartment but there are lots of little things that niggle me. So while I was away travelling I'd get it completely renovated.

I can't even replace the lightbulbs on my own - I have lots and the ceilings are high, but living by myself I worry I'd fall off the step ladders. Maybe with money being no object I'll get someone to install a much better system.

But first I'd change my mobile phone and laptop - both keep freezing up...I can afford to do that now, but hesitate because I can't choose which ones to buy, and I can't afford to get it wrong!

• _impressive_
    _impressive_ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Teach the world to sing the perfect harmony
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Depends on how much. I’d give half to my parents then the other half...

I would buy gold and get it buried it in various locations and give the locations to the one person I trust. If i ever find myself in financial despair then it is up to that person to judge the necessity for a dig. If prospectors find it then good for them.

So I actually would not change much at all.
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    Options
    Mm2Hh7 wrote: »
    I’d pay my lawyer and quit my job and go to school full time

What would you take?

Nursing! I’d like to be a nurse
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    pursue my career in interpretative dance.

..... and get that annoying chip in my windshield repaired.

• CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    pursue my career in interpretative dance.

..... and get that annoying chip in my windshield repaired.

Mines a whole crack. Happened while I was driving. Watched it slowly work it’s way all the way across
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't change anything. I'd just have a lot of money so I would be stressed out as much.
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    It’s hard to say - I’d like to think I’d give half away to charities like st Jude’s and Scottish rite - and just kinda chill on the rest - and just do whatever the hell I wanted - send the kids to college with no debt would be cool -
  • bassfishingirls
    bassfishingirls Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Quit work, buy on ocean front home, and donate to animal shelters.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Pay off my house, go back to school, put the rest away and use as necessary and the rest will go to my kids and their future.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Definitely pay off all my families debt.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Buy my dad his dream car.
  • Mm2Hh7
    Mm2Hh7 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I’d save a ton for my kids. Share with my parents and siblings. Quit my job and travel. Donate a lot
  • isalsayourface123
    isalsayourface123 Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options

I would change mfp and reconfig their apps and stuff

I would cosmetically change a few things about me

I would change my residential location ...a tropical and mountain location