School menu ridiculousness

Options

Replies

• rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Some of the spelling and grammar in this thread affirms my opinion that the focus needs to remain on the education of our children and not the foods they are served.

:laugh:

QFT
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My daughter, a freshman in high school, went through the "extra" line and had a Rice Krispie Treat and a Yoohoo for lunch. It's ridiculous that it is even a choice!

When I was highschool, I think I had pizza just about everyday. Until I could drive, then it was McDonald's or Burger King.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    IWhen my son's preschool teacher handed out giant lollipops, he said, "Ms. Barbara, why did you do that? I thought you cared about us". Our school also limits water to mealtime and right after recess, so the sugars stay in a dry mouth all day long.

LOVE! Bet that made you proud!

I do not understand why at my daughter's dance studio, her teacher hands out candy to the students when class is over. I'm like "WTH! I enrolled her so she would have an active thing to do and as a reward she gets friggin' candy?"

Because candy is sweet and kids like it and a little candy now and then does not harm a child.

Yes, a little doesn't. But I know what my daughter has consumed all week. And I don't see the need to offer a kid candy after dance class. Kids get offered candy everywhere they go: the bank, the grocery store, every birthday party, at school for "party days", etc. It adds up.

Okay, lets follow this through. Your daughter's dance teacher hears your pleas and decides that you are right, your child has enough candy thrown at them during the week from other sources. Then, all other bank tellers, grocers, teachers, and birthday party organizers(?) also hear your pleas and make the same decision. So, now, no child is offered candy, regardless of their level of candy offering, because your child's experience is the metric against which all candy offerings should be measured.

Or.....you could just teach your kid your own lessons rather than trying to make the entire world adapt to your individual situation.
    For example, my daughter is also offered candy at banks, dance class, swim lessons, etc. She knows not to eat it until we tell her it is okay. Partially because of the whole candy from strangers deal and partially because she knows that we don't want her having too much candy and leaping around the house like a cracked out monkey before the horrible and inevitable crash an hour before bedtime.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    IWhen my son's preschool teacher handed out giant lollipops, he said, "Ms. Barbara, why did you do that? I thought you cared about us". Our school also limits water to mealtime and right after recess, so the sugars stay in a dry mouth all day long.

I do not understand why at my daughter's dance studio, her teacher hands out candy to the students when class is over. I'm like "WTH! I enrolled her so she would have an active thing to do and as a reward she gets friggin' candy?"

Because candy is sweet and kids like it and a little candy now and then does not harm a child.

Yes, a little doesn't. But I know what my daughter has consumed all week. And I don't see the need to offer a kid candy after dance class. Kids get offered candy everywhere they go: the bank, the grocery store, every birthday party, at school for "party days", etc. It adds up.

Okay, lets follow this through. Your daughter's dance teacher hears your pleas and decides that you are right, your child has enough candy thrown at them during the week from other sources. Then, all other bank tellers, grocers, teachers, and birthday party organizers(?) also hear your pleas and make the same decision. So, now, no child is offered candy, regardless of their level of candy offering, because your child's experience is the metric against which all candy offerings should be measured.

Or.....you could just teach your kid your own lessons rather than trying to make the entire world adapt to your individual situation.
    For example, my daughter is also offered candy at banks, dance class, swim lessons, etc. She knows not to eat it until we tell her it is okay. Partially because of the whole candy from strangers deal and partially because she knows that we don't want her having too much candy and leaping around the house like a cracked out monkey before the horrible and inevitable crash an hour before bedtime.

LOL @ cracked out monkey. Anyone have a .gif for that particular one? I'm going to have that mental image running through my head all day now

FWIW, agree with the idea of making her wait, especially with the whole "candy from strangers" thing
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Your are so right. I am just a bad mother because despite doing all the "right" things up to this point, my stong-willed 5 yr old can whine with the best of them, argues with me, and has a mind of her own. I'm gonna need you to come to my house and train my children.
  • doorki
    Options

LOL @ cracked out monkey. Anyone have a .gif for that particular one? I'm going to have that mental image running through my head all day now

FWIW, agree with the idea of making her wait, especially with the whole "candy from strangers" thing

This is the closest I could get.

046_b.jpg
  • doorki
    Options

Your are so right. I am just a bad mother because despite doing all the "right" things up to this point, my stong-willed 5 yr old can whine with the best of them, argues with me, and has a mind of her own. I'm gonna need you to come to my house and train my children.

My five year old does that too. It doesn't mean that I am going to deny the world's children candy because of it.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

My five year old does that too. It doesn't mean that I am going to deny the world's children candy because of it.

How dare you take personal responsibility for your own children!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm sure a lot of the people who had kids right before the economy crashed and a huge number of people lost their jobs knew were perfectly stable when they decided they would have kids. The point is that economic statuses change and just because you have a stable job now doesn't mean you'll have one in a year.

I'm equally sure that there are lots of people having children *right now* when they can't afford them *right now*.

And THOSE are the kids who are supposed to starve, dammit!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    My kids love candy...they also love fruits and veggies, and all kinds of other good stuff.

Weird how this moderation thing works.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I find it a pitty when women pop out 4 or 5 babies knowing that they can't afford to take care of them. Everybody has an opinion.
    It must be nice to know exactly what's going to happen in your life and in the world's economy for the next 18-21 years and not have to worry about your financial situation changing.

Speaking of which, can someone please return my crystal ball? I really need that before the next big Powerball drawing.

That wasn't the point. It had nothing to do with the future, and all to do with the present. A person knows whether or not they can afford a child when making the decision to have one. I waited 4 years post marriage because we knew we weren't financially stable enough yet. Others on the other hand, don't care and go ahead anyway. That was the point.
    I'm sure a lot of the people who had kids right before the economy crashed and a huge number of people lost their jobs knew were perfectly stable when they decided they would have kids. The point is that economic statuses change and just because you have a stable job now doesn't mean you'll have one in a year.

That has nothing to do with....knowing that they can't afford it
  • supremelady
    supremelady Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think another poster already mentioned it. There are thousands of kids who go to school hungry. If you don't like what is being served simply send your child with lunch. Stop bashing a system that helps out.

Also to the poster who mentioned about there not being any fried foods but what about french fries? They are usually baked, even the hot wings are.

i have read some pretty ignorant comments in this thread!
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    my school cafeteria sells healthy stuff ^^
    Like heck yeah. Small baguettes (the brown ones cost less too) and theres a list with things they put on it, most of it is healthy too. They sell cereal with milk, they sell fruit...
    More of that stuff and all. As for drinks it's less amazing but theres good stuff too..
    The baddest thing they sell i guess are things in the vending machines and pizza on tuesdays. Besides that its just all muffins and baguettes with fatter stuff on it. and its so good i just ASDFGHJKL
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Like heck yeah. Small baguettes (the brown ones cost less too) and theres a list with things they put on it, most of it is healthy too. They sell cereal with milk, they sell fruit...
    More of that stuff and all. As for drinks it's less amazing but theres good stuff too..
    The baddest thing they sell i guess are things in the vending machines and pizza on tuesdays. Besides that its just all muffins and baguettes with fatter stuff on it. and its so good i just ASDFGHJKL

This proves my point.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    "Breakfast daily options: Cinnamon roll/cheese stick, assorted Pop Tarts, Graham Snackers or blueberry or banana nut muffins. Daily hot options are a sausage roll, breakfast pizza, French toast link with syrup, pancake on a stick with syrup and a waffle with syrup and a sausage patty."

Wow! No wonder kids are so overdiagnosed w/ ADHD.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I think another poster already mentioned it. There are thousands of kids who go to school hungry. If you don't like what is being served simply send your child with lunch. Stop bashing a system that helps out.

Also to the poster who mentioned about there not being any fried foods but what about french fries? They are usually baked, even the hot wings are.

i have read some pretty ignorant comments in this thread!

I would guess they are actually usually fried, frozen then shipped to schools to re-heat/ cook in the oven
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, there are plenty of products made for school lunch programs that are designed to meet government regulations, but to look like junk food. It's not teaching kids good eating habits to feed them low sodium "whole grain" corn dogs, all you're teaching them is to eat corn dogs.

Our school lunch program in my city serves "fast food" type menu items just about every day. They meet all of the regulations but they're not helping the kids to develop healthy habits.
    It's no wonder we're raising generations of obese children, considering what they're getting in public school. My little one will be in a school-run daycare next week, and she's eating solid foods now. One of the options is to let her get her breakfast and lunch free from the cafeteria, but after looking at the menu options, we'll spend our own money and send her real food.

Keep in mind this menu is produced by arguably the "best" cafeteria in our region, and most of the other schools around here COPY this menu for their students.

Breakfast daily options: Cinnamon roll/cheese stick, assorted Pop Tarts, Graham Snackers or blueberry or banana nut muffins. Daily hot options are a sausage roll, breakfast pizza, French toast link with syrup, pancake on a stick with syrup and a waffle with syrup and a sausage patty.

Lunch options...
    Chili dog or cheesy stix (cheese bread) with marinara; chicken nuggets or PBJ; pepperoni pizza or a chalupa; corn dog or "fish strips" (WTF is that anyway); nachos or stuffed dippers with sauce; cheese pizza or meatball sub; and my PERSONAL favorite "main dish" options: mac and cheese with a roll or a corn dog.

Oh, and the lunch options are served with assorted milks, fresh fruits, veggies AND desserts.

If this is what our government says is healthy and acceptable for kids to eat, we're doomed.

As far as I can tell that's not within govt regulations. My sons school caters and the caterer has to meet those government decreed standards. Lunch has to include 2 choices of veggies, 2 choices of fruits, a protein and a grain with milk, juice or water. No junk whatsoever. Wonder if you can report them.

I hear what you're saying, but I pay attention to the menus and have been there to see the meals. It's bonified real food. I am up to the idea that govt regulations are as clear as mud and as holey as swiss cheese though.
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options

This proves my point.
    Which one?
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I find it a pitty when women pop out 4 or 5 babies knowing that they can't afford to take care of them. Everybody has an opinion.
    It must be nice to know exactly what's going to happen in your life and in the world's economy for the next 18-21 years and not have to worry about your financial situation changing.

Speaking of which, can someone please return my crystal ball? I really need that before the next big Powerball drawing.

That wasn't the point. It had nothing to do with the future, and all to do with the present. A person knows whether or not they can afford a child when making the decision to have one. I waited 4 years post marriage because we knew we weren't financially stable enough yet. Others on the other hand, don't care and go ahead anyway. That was the point.

I know that. It was a joke.

Some people miss the finite art of sarcasm.
  • Stary714
    Stary714 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Don't even get me started! As a high school senior whos trying to manage her weight I can tell you that the cafeteria menu is not only unhealthy but straight up *disgusting*. Also, did you know that they consider pizza a veggie because of the so called 'tomato paste' in it? --> http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/its-delicious-but-is-it-a-vegetable/?_r=0

I bring my lunch now.