School menu ridiculousness

Options

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I guess i'm confused...This is the same "crap" I was eating twenty years ago when i was in grade school....Why the surprise and shock?

I never ate a fresh organic salad with goat cheese and grilled chicken breast drizzled in Olive Oil. Its a cafeteria and you're being served by a lunch lady, not a chef. Even if that was an option, I would take the pizza. Every. Single. Time.

Not all the kids got fat b/c they ate pizza (including my two brothers who had the same options as me) but I did. Stop blaming the government for free food.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    am i the only one that misses school lunches? pizza day with ranch and chocolate milk!!!!!! or oen faced pizza burgers with ranch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell's ya...Did you have travelling taco day? Where you go the open fritos bag with taco meat and cheese...So nom nom
  • sustho
    sustho Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I adore our cafe workers. They are caring and sweet women, who have a difficult job and have been forced to do it for less pay. I just cringe when I hear students ask for healthier/fresher choices and they are given a plate with chicken nuggets, white rice and corn... Also in my district it is not those lovely ladies writing the menu, we have outsourced that job. (to someone who has extremely limited contact with students.)
  • mandyschalk
    mandyschalk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's no wonder we're raising generations of obese children, considering what they're getting in public school.

Yes, it's the school's fault. :huh:
    Never mind that the parents don't teach kids healthy choices, healthy eating habits, or how to listen to their body's natural hunger & full cues. Never mind that the parents allow their kids to sit and play xbox for 5 hours a day... Nope... we are all obese because we eat one crappy meal per day.

Agree!!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    My daughter is starting full day school for the first time Monday. It's $2.50 a meal. I think they get to chose between 3 options. They seem like good options to me.

Aug 19:
    #1: Entree salad w/ dinner roll
    #2: Hot dog
    #3: Turkey sandwich

http://www.jeffcopublicschools.org/food_services/Elementary Lunch Aug.pdf

I do hope you are being sarcastic when you say you think a hot dog is a good option.
  • FHowA46
    FHowA46 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm at war with my husband over feeding our little girl. I don't want her to be so sheltered from "junk food" that she binges on it in secret or when she's away from us when she gets older, but I don't see how it's necessary. He, his mother and his brother constantly try to feed her sweets and desserts and potato chips. It makes me incredibly upset when I see him giving her drinks of soda. She's ONE for goodness sakes...let her teeth grow IN before you start trying to rot them out!

Stand your ground, I totally agree with you. My parents allowed us treats when we asked for them but controlled the amounts. We always knew when we were younger that they wouldn't take us to fast food restaurants and although there was a stage that I wanted to as my friends were it was brief and I'm so appreciative of my parents for doing that now. Also they never fed me sweets or ice cream or anything until I first suggested it, if they don't know what they are missing they won't be wanting it.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Some of the spelling and grammar in this thread affirms my opinion that the focus needs to remain on the education of our children and not the foods they are served.

Those are the folks who did not have the benefit of a good well balanced school breakfast before starting their day
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • hookilau
    Options
    As a homeowner with no children, I have no problem with paying taxes for school's, some of my best friends are teachers. My concern is my property taxes have gone up year after year, mostly due to school taxes, while my property value has dropped significantly and my income has been stagnant.

It's kind of a depressing sight when your property value gets reassessed lower but your total tax bill still goes up.

Long Island.....that's where I live.
    That's *precisely* how it's been here for the last 12 years since we've owned our home.
    Our taxes have gone from 3K per year to just under 10K per year.
    Really?!! :huh:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    As a homeowner with no children, I have no problem with paying taxes for school's, some of my best friends are teachers. My concern is my property taxes have gone up year after year, mostly due to school taxes, while my property value has dropped significantly and my income has been stagnant.

It's kind of a depressing sight when your property value gets reassessed lower but your total tax bill still goes up.

That's *precisely* how it's been here for the last 12 years since we've owned our home.

I used to live in Long Beach, LI and the property taxes in LI are just crazy. At least the schools are good though.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    It's no wonder we're raising generations of obese children, considering what they're getting in public school. My little one will be in a school-run daycare next week, and she's eating solid foods now. One of the options is to let her get her breakfast and lunch free from the cafeteria, but after looking at the menu options, we'll spend our own money and send her real food.

Keep in mind this menu is produced by arguably the "best" cafeteria in our region, and most of the other schools around here COPY this menu for their students.

Breakfast daily options: Cinnamon roll/cheese stick, assorted Pop Tarts, Graham Snackers or blueberry or banana nut muffins. Daily hot options are a sausage roll, breakfast pizza, French toast link with syrup, pancake on a stick with syrup and a waffle with syrup and a sausage patty.

Lunch options...
    Chili dog or cheesy stix (cheese bread) with marinara; chicken nuggets or PBJ; pepperoni pizza or a chalupa; corn dog or "fish strips" (WTF is that anyway); nachos or stuffed dippers with sauce; cheese pizza or meatball sub; and my PERSONAL favorite "main dish" options: mac and cheese with a roll or a corn dog.

Oh, and the lunch options are served with assorted milks, fresh fruits, veggies AND desserts.

If this is what our government says is healthy and acceptable for kids to eat, we're doomed.

As far as I can tell that's not within govt regulations. My sons school caters and the caterer has to meet those government decreed standards. Lunch has to include 2 choices of veggies, 2 choices of fruits, a protein and a grain with milk, juice or water. No junk whatsoever. Wonder if you can report them.

My thoughts exactly! My oldest has experienced 2 different daycares and the menus there for breakfast and lunch are significantly different that what you have listed. There is always a fruit with breakfast and a vegetable (and usually a fruit too) with lunch. The portions are small, but I never hear anyone complaining about being hungry. And why all the choices? My 1 year old is not going to choose....there is a set menu every week and all parents can pick up a copy to take home and stick on their fridge. (which is helpful when my 5 yr old says "but we ate fish at lunch, I don't want fish again!" -which means mommy forget to look at the menu!)

Now...my 5 yr old is starting kindy next week. I am fantasizing about being this amazing lunch-packer and have been blowing up Pinterest with ideas.........but I know there will hectic mornings or missed shopping trips. So we will see how this school fares in the lunchroom...and how my daughter does making choices when she has her own "money" to spend. (it goes on a card or something......orientation is tomorrow, so hoping to learn more about this)

Oh and to add one more thing
    you are the mom, if you don't want your baby to have soda, do not allow anyone else to give it to them either! My kids don't and there is no way I would sit and watch my husband give them it, especially if he knew I was against it. And my kids know they are not allowed to have it too. When my daughter was 3, someone offered her some Nestle Green Tea, and without even knowing I was overhearing this, she said them "No, I am not allowed to have that." Made me so proud!
  • hookilau
    Options

I used to live in Long Beach, LI and the property taxes in LI are just crazy. At least the schools are good though.

For what we pay, they damn well BETTER BE :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I lurrrv Long Beach. We used to go just to watch the surfers & the surf. Talk about mesmerizing. It was like drinking beer and watching the campfire :laugh:
  • MrsG31
    Options
    IWhen my son's preschool teacher handed out giant lollipops, he said, "Ms. Barbara, why did you do that? I thought you cared about us". Our school also limits water to mealtime and right after recess, so the sugars stay in a dry mouth all day long.

LOVE! Bet that made you proud!

I do not understand why at my daughter's dance studio, her teacher hands out candy to the students when class is over. I'm like "WTH! I enrolled her so she would have an active thing to do and as a reward she gets friggin' candy?"
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    IWhen my son's preschool teacher handed out giant lollipops, he said, "Ms. Barbara, why did you do that? I thought you cared about us". Our school also limits water to mealtime and right after recess, so the sugars stay in a dry mouth all day long.

I do not understand why at my daughter's dance studio, her teacher hands out candy to the students when class is over. I'm like "WTH! I enrolled her so she would have an active thing to do and as a reward she gets friggin' candy?"

Because candy is sweet and kids like it and a little candy now and then does not harm a child.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My daughter, a freshman in high school, went through the "extra" line and had a Rice Krispie Treat and a Yoohoo for lunch. It's ridiculous that it is even a choice!
  • MrsG31
    Options

Because candy is sweet and kids like it and a little candy now and then does not harm a child.

Yes, a little doesn't. But I know what my daughter has consumed all week. And I don't see the need to offer a kid candy after dance class. Kids get offered candy everywhere they go: the bank, the grocery store, every birthday party, at school for "party days", etc. It adds up.
  • iTStaRTsN0W
    Options
    I am very pleased with the lunch they service my child at school.

Occassionally I go eat lunch with her, last year in kindergarden she got chicken noodle soup (looked better then homemade), a peanut butter sandwich on wheat bread, carrot sticks and cucumber sticks with lowfat chocolate milk.

Breakfast usually the normal cereal and toast with juice and milk; sometimes mini waffles and pancakes, but no EXTRA syrup. The syrup is cooked into the waffles somehow.

The only complain was before she started school she wouldn't eat ranch, once she started she liked ranch with her carrots. I feel it takes away from the health benefits, but she is not overweight and since I am dieting she's eating pretty healthy at home too.

We can't just blame the school systems, we have to look at what the parents are feeding kids at home, and the lack of excercise. Based on your concerns I know that is not the case for you, but for a lot of the obese kids it is.

I remember a show where a top known british chef was trying to "revamp" school lunch systems. On the show it showed how many push backs he got from school systems, kids, and parents!! Goes to show that not everyone is as health concious as they should be.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My daughter, a freshman in high school, went through the "extra" line and had a Rice Krispie Treat and a Yoohoo for lunch. It's ridiculous that it is even a choice!

A freshman in high school should know better, don't you think?

My second grader would choose better than that, and I'm not particularly controlling about food.

Education starts at home, whether it be about reading and math or health and nutrition. I don't severely limit sweets, chips or junk, but I spend a lot of time talking about how our bodies require healthy food for fuel, and without the right fuel we don't learn or accomplish physical activities well.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

tumblr_m1vknqkfDX1qeyt27o1_500.gif
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Some of the spelling and grammar in this thread affirms my opinion that the focus needs to remain on the education of our children and not the foods they are served.

:laugh:
  • MrsG31
    Options

tumblr_m1vknqkfDX1qeyt27o1_500.gif

LOL- I really do over-use that word a lot......and often say that to my computer at work! How did you know??