School menu ridiculousness

Options

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,279 Member
    Options
    The problem is.. my son doesn't want to be "that kid" who never gets to buy lunch at school and I'm not the parent that wants my son to eat the food offered. They do have a salad bar.. i'm positive my 14 yo son will line up for that every single day.. (please note the dripping sarcasm in that statement) . So what do you do. Constant pleading from your child to be able to buy lunch (which they will do with their on money if necessary) and wanting them to eat healthy. I'm glad we're not in his old school district. They had a taco bell in the cafeteria.. healthy I'm sure... right..

Compromise. Tell your child that you will pack his lunch most of the time but once a week he gets to pick a day to eat the school lunch. Forbidding it 100% is just making it look better. Let him pick it as a "treat". Then do not give him money on any other day.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I can't believe everyone's school has such unhealthy lunches, especially with the new federal guidelines. Here is the menu for my child's school this week:

Personal Cheese Pizza with whole wheat crust
    Caesar Salad
    Pineapple

Sloppy Joe on whole wheat bun
    California Vegetables
    Spiced Pears

Spiced Turkey
    Glazed Carrots
    Apricots
    Moroccan Rice

Chicken Parmesan
    Italian Baked Beans
    Mixed Fruit Bowl
    Whole Wheat Breadstick

Hamburger/Cheeseburger on whole wheat bun
    Steak Fries
    Applesauce

All with 1% milk or Fat Free Chocolate Milk

I don't know how anyone is going to pack a lunch that is more balanced than that. They increased the serving sizes for fruits and veggies this year and every kid has to take at least one fruit or veggie. My kid is very picky but likes almost everything the school serves, and is motivated by peer pressure to try new things that she won't necessarily try at home.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I can't believe everyone's school has such unhealthy lunches, especially with the new federal guidelines. Here is the menu for my child's school this week:

Caesar Salad
    Pineapple

California Vegetables
    Spiced Pears

Spiced Turkey
    Glazed Carrots
    Apricots
    Moroccan Rice

Chicken Parmesan
    Italian Baked Beans
    Mixed Fruit Bowl
    Whole Wheat Breadstick

Steak Fries
    Applesauce

I don't know how anyone is going to pack a lunch that is more balanced than that. They increased the serving sizes for fruits and veggies this year and every kid has to take at least one fruit or veggie. My kid is very picky but likes almost everything the school serves, and is motivated by peer pressure to try new things that she won't necessarily try at home.

This above is what my children's menu looks like. We aren't a fancy, rich school district by any means, either. Its a consolidated rural school.We took up the cause through PTA, the parents hopped right on board, the district got a grant from the state and feds to revamp the menu, and there you go. There are limits on seconds of entrees, but the children are free to go back for all the veggies and fruit they want.

The problem we are running into now is adjusting the calorie count for high-energy kids - the ones in active sports, the ones on medication. We're trying to adapt to individual student need as well. My eldest son is a great example of this minority need: he has a naturally high metabolism that started him off underweight, and then was placed on medication that suppresses his appetite. He needs full-fat, high-protein offerings to make up for the reduction in intake, but the school generally provides lower cal, lower sugar, lean protein items. I cope by sending him with high-cal snacks.

We also run a partnership program with a local grocer to provide a fruit/veg for morning snack. The kids are exposed to different produce and stay healthier for it.

Not all schools are bad. Not all parents will resist it. We made sure to engage the parents every step, brought in USDA consultants to help discuss the changes, get input, and move forward. Parents often want healthy choices, but that's the key: choices.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I find it a pitty when women pop out 4 or 5 babies knowing that they can't afford to take care of them. Everybody has an opinion.
    It must be nice to know exactly what's going to happen in your life and in the world's economy for the next 18-21 years and not have to worry about your financial situation changing.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    How come that doesn't surprise me...?
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    The topic totally wandered in the pages in between, didn't it. I saw nothing in the first page about abortion and stuff, but wow, here we are.

Learns me to just read first page and last post before replying.

Backing away slowly...even though shaking with rage burns cals, its too hard on my heart.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    That lunch menu could definitely use a revamp!

We usually packed a lunch growing up, but I do remember days when the school lunch seemed to have lima beans in everything, and then there was that half a red delicious apple (which was often a side) that always tasted like soap. And who the heck thought it was a good idea to serve those tough slices of pot roast to elementary school kids, when the only eating utensil provided was a spoon??
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    The problem is.. my son doesn't want to be "that kid" who never gets to buy lunch at school and I'm not the parent that wants my son to eat the food offered. They do have a salad bar.. i'm positive my 14 yo son will line up for that every single day.. (please note the dripping sarcasm in that statement) . So what do you do. Constant pleading from your child to be able to buy lunch (which they will do with their on money if necessary) and wanting them to eat healthy. I'm glad we're not in his old school district. They had a taco bell in the cafeteria.. healthy I'm sure... right..

Ummm....sorry but in the end..you are the parent. Be the parent. If your son doesn't appreciate you making him lunch then he's just going to have to learn to deal with either eating the lunch or waiting until he gets home to eat.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    With those breakfast choices, I wouldn't wanna be the teachers who have to deal with these sugar high kids!
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Options

Caesar Salad
    Pineapple

California Vegetables
    Spiced Pears

Spiced Turkey
    Glazed Carrots
    Apricots
    Moroccan Rice

Chicken Parmesan
    Italian Baked Beans
    Mixed Fruit Bowl
    Whole Wheat Breadstick

Steak Fries
    Applesauce

Sounds good to me
  • cacklingcat
    cacklingcat Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    "main dish" options: mac and cheese with a roll or a corn dog.

[/quote]
    This is my only real problem, all the carbs. Why the roll does that need to be there, Instead put some protean in that mac and cheese if it needs something more. Other than that if you look at the calories for these things there pretty acceptable for children that "should be very active anyway right"
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    It's not the food that's making kids obese, it's the TV, and the Ipad, and the Xbox, and the overprotective parents who shelter their kids indoors. When you're a kid, you're supposed to be active, many of us just went until we crashed face down on the carpet, and as a result, what we ate was largely inconsequential. Not saying that kids don't benefit from real food, just that they don't suffer as much as adults from over processed food (assuming the kids are active.) Kids in school these days sit in class for hours on end, many schools have done away with PE programs, and recess, and when they get home they vedge in front of the boob tube. That's what's making them fat. When I was a kid I spent hours playing basketball, football, night games, or riding my bike. At that point I could eat whatever I wanted and not gain an ounce. Kids need to be kids, otherwise, they get fat.

By the way, I'm no fan of the school lunch program, or public schools in general, but it's become an easy scapegoat for parents who are largely vacant from their children's lives.

Rigger

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Doone33
    Doone33 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It's no wonder we're raising generations of obese children, considering what they're getting in public school. My little one will be in a school-run daycare next week, and she's eating solid foods now. One of the options is to let her get her breakfast and lunch free from the cafeteria, but after looking at the menu options, we'll spend our own money and send her real food.

Keep in mind this menu is produced by arguably the "best" cafeteria in our region, and most of the other schools around here COPY this menu for their students.

Breakfast daily options: Cinnamon roll/cheese stick, assorted Pop Tarts, Graham Snackers or blueberry or banana nut muffins. Daily hot options are a sausage roll, breakfast pizza, French toast link with syrup, pancake on a stick with syrup and a waffle with syrup and a sausage patty.

Lunch options...
    Chili dog or cheesy stix (cheese bread) with marinara; chicken nuggets or PBJ; pepperoni pizza or a chalupa; corn dog or "fish strips" (WTF is that anyway); nachos or stuffed dippers with sauce; cheese pizza or meatball sub; and my PERSONAL favorite "main dish" options: mac and cheese with a roll or a corn dog.

Oh, and the lunch options are served with assorted milks, fresh fruits, veggies AND desserts.

If this is what our government says is healthy and acceptable for kids to eat, we're doomed.

these lunches are packed with high calorie foods... it is not good for some families.. but for the low income families children who are going home with out food at night.... this is what this is set up for a lot of times... But I agree... They should offer the option of one more alternate healthy dish and maybe have parents choose the childs meal for the week!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    ask the school if it is following USDA food guidelines. It should be developed by a Dietitian. I see no fruit or vegetables or offer of dairy.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    went to school every day until high school with a packed lunch. high school i just ate french fries because i was way too busy just talking to my friends at lunch. im so lucky. they send out a lunch menu for the entire month and i circle what he can have and send in alternatives if he cant have it(hes vegan so theres half the stuff he cant have usually), but they have one veggie or fruit every day. thankfully they cater to a number of allergies and choices. also, that lunch menu seems worse than when i was in school, which was over 18 years ago. i was watching a documentary about how healthier choices from a school than ended up costing just about the same as the crappy food not only made the children healthier, but their moods were better, their grades were higher, etc. most schools dont try find alternatives because this is easier. i would think upping my taxes every year for schools they would stop building all these things for schools they dont need and focus on things that are helpful to these kids now.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, there are plenty of products made for school lunch programs that are designed to meet government regulations, but to look like junk food. It's not teaching kids good eating habits to feed them low sodium "whole grain" corn dogs, all you're teaching them is to eat corn dogs.

Our school lunch program in my city serves "fast food" type menu items just about every day. They meet all of the regulations but they're not helping the kids to develop healthy habits.
    It's no wonder we're raising generations of obese children, considering what they're getting in public school. My little one will be in a school-run daycare next week, and she's eating solid foods now. One of the options is to let her get her breakfast and lunch free from the cafeteria, but after looking at the menu options, we'll spend our own money and send her real food.

Keep in mind this menu is produced by arguably the "best" cafeteria in our region, and most of the other schools around here COPY this menu for their students.

Breakfast daily options: Cinnamon roll/cheese stick, assorted Pop Tarts, Graham Snackers or blueberry or banana nut muffins. Daily hot options are a sausage roll, breakfast pizza, French toast link with syrup, pancake on a stick with syrup and a waffle with syrup and a sausage patty.

Lunch options...
    Chili dog or cheesy stix (cheese bread) with marinara; chicken nuggets or PBJ; pepperoni pizza or a chalupa; corn dog or "fish strips" (WTF is that anyway); nachos or stuffed dippers with sauce; cheese pizza or meatball sub; and my PERSONAL favorite "main dish" options: mac and cheese with a roll or a corn dog.

Oh, and the lunch options are served with assorted milks, fresh fruits, veggies AND desserts.

If this is what our government says is healthy and acceptable for kids to eat, we're doomed.

As far as I can tell that's not within govt regulations. My sons school caters and the caterer has to meet those government decreed standards. Lunch has to include 2 choices of veggies, 2 choices of fruits, a protein and a grain with milk, juice or water. No junk whatsoever. Wonder if you can report them.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I find it a pitty when women pop out 4 or 5 babies knowing that they can't afford to take care of them. Everybody has an opinion.
    It must be nice to know exactly what's going to happen in your life and in the world's economy for the next 18-21 years and not have to worry about your financial situation changing.

Speaking of which, can someone please return my crystal ball? I really need that before the next big Powerball drawing.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    How do you observe this, exactly? Since everything is done by EBT now, I'm not even sure how you would know unless you're leaning way over and ogling their debit card. I can't remember the last time I've "seen" someone buying food with food stamps, it's a private transaction.
    It's no wonder we're raising generations of obese children, considering what they're getting in public school.

Yes, it's the school's fault. :huh:
    Never mind that the parents don't teach kids healthy choices, healthy eating habits, or how to listen to their body's natural hunger & full cues. Never mind that the parents allow their kids to sit and play xbox for 5 hours a day... Nope... we are all obese because we eat one crappy meal per day.

For some children school's provide 2 meals a day. And for those living below the poverty level, sending homemade lunches when the school will provide them for free is just not a luxury they can afford.

I don't know if the OP's school is public or private, but when tax dollars are spent on public school lunches we ought to at least be outraged when it's spent on junk food lacking in nutrtition.

This isn't to say schools shouldn't be concerned about providing nutritionally beneficial options in school because they absolutely should.

That being said, there is an insane number of people who qualify for free and reduced lunches who (in all honesty) probably shouldn't. I know there are plenty of people in this country who have legitimately fallen on tough times and need the assistance, but I can't even count how many times I see parents in the grocery store with their nails perfectly manicured and a coach purse buying the most expensive cuts of steak with food stamps. And many times these are the same people who complain about not having enough money to pack lunch for their kids.

Having many close friends who are teachers, I understand how stretched schools are for money and I know a lot of families are the same way. But blame for the childhood obesity epidemic does not lie only in the hands of the schools--they should be making more of an effort to provide something better than fried, processed crap.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I'm at war with my husband over feeding our little girl. I don't want her to be so sheltered from "junk food" that she binges on it in secret or when she's away from us when she gets older, but I don't see how it's necessary. He, his mother and his brother constantly try to feed her sweets and desserts and potato chips. It makes me incredibly upset when I see him giving her drinks of soda. She's ONE for goodness sakes...let her teeth grow IN before you start trying to rot them out!

Wow...I agree with you on the soda. My boys are four and 2 1/2 and have no idea what soda even is. The only candy they have (once a week, MAX) is a lollipop from the credit union.
  • Blitz_40
    Blitz_40 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Compromise. Tell your child that you will pack his lunch most of the time but once a week he gets to pick a day to eat the school lunch. Forbidding it 100% is just making it look better. Let him pick it as a "treat". Then do not give him money on any other day.

This! Let him pack his most favorite foods too! My 14 year old carries sushi every day. It's his food of choice. I have to drive 20 minutes each way twice a week to get the real stuff and it costs an arm & a leg, but he'd choose it over pizza, tacos, hamburgers any day. He eats good sushi (and occasionally the poorly executed California rolls I make) with starfruit, mango, blood oranges, whatever odd fruit I can get in season. If he's going to pack it's going to be different from anyone else! I figured he'd get tired of it & want to eat in the lunchroom, but he never touched the money in his lunch account the whole year.