School menu ridiculousness

Options

Replies

• mindiv
    mindiv Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    We're in a very high poverty area. With an insanely high drug use statistic. We have high school freshmen pushing 300 pounds (and that's not muscle).

I also 150% agree that it's ultimately up to the parents to teach their kids right from wrong. But so many of these kids, like others have posted, eat ONLY at school. Their parents just don't care, and many don't even feed their kids outside of school (we have a program where a bunch of kids are sent home with food on Fridays because they won't get to eat again 'til Monday otherwise). These kids, as unfortunate as it may be, rely 100% on school to teach them right from wrong and how to eat. And they get mac and cheese and a roll as a main dish.

A lot of the guidelines are because they fit the government-prescribed plan. And some of these things are made to fit because it's what children "will" eat rather than what they "should" eat.

I know it could be worse, and I also, after losing 80 pounds, understand it's all about a balance of good food and plenty of movement. In fact, we're trying hard, even at the age of 1, to get our little girl outside in the fresh air and sunshine to play at least 30 minutes a day and will have her growing up with limited game/internet/TV time. But I just think it's sad that cafeterias choose (or are "forced") to serve this kind of food when other things are so much better.
  • megan020103
    Options
    This topic is very timely for me as my oldest is starting kindergarten. We eat a clean diet at home with the occasional treat. I was going over the school lunch menu yesterday and was not impressed. I will be packing my lunches for my daughter and I feel damn blessed to be able to have that option. I do feel that the options today are not stellar, but the reality is that this is what most kids are used to and this is what they will eat. It is very possible to eat healthy on a budget, but it takes a lot of time and planning. It is a priority for me to make that time, but others just don't have that luxury. I personally don't trust any of the nutritional guidelines set out by the government.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I send my daughter to school to learn, not to eat. I provide well balanced meals for her breakfast and dinner. If she doesn't like the school meal for the day, she packs a lunch.

I would like to know how many of you complaining would vote for a tax increase to provide better nutrition at school?

I would totally vote for tax increase for almost anything school related, especially nutrition. It's so important, and for a lot of children out there it's the only semi healthy meal they'll get all day. And sadly there are a lot of kids out there for whom it will be the only meal they get that day.

I would vote too.

I also want to point out that I do not have children and it's becoming more and more of a big possibility that I never will. That being said I do still believe that it's part of my responsibility to pay taxes toward children educational and hunger needs because someday I will be old and they will be charge.

Sadly, an awful lot of people do not feel the same way you do.

Yeah I know, it's a pity.

Yep, where I grew up it was tough to get any school levy through due to the amount of people in town that didn't have kids, didn't have school kids anymore, or had their kids in the private schools.... Didn't directly effect them, so they didn't care.

We just completed a $3 million upgrade to our sports complex (raised through fundraising, partnerships, and gifts), guess who was the first ones knocking on the door asking if they could play their games there....
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    the system is NOT perfect, i'm never going to claim that it is.

but i'd rather a flawed system than children starving to death.

and before you think that can't happen in a first world country, in this day and age... spend a few mins in the utter heartbreak and impotent rage that this article will bring you: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article3830565.ece
  • marcgo2
    marcgo2 Posts: 15
    Options
    As a homeowner with no children, I have no problem with paying taxes for school's, some of my best friends are teachers. My concern is my property taxes have gone up year after year, mostly due to school taxes, while my property value has dropped significantly and my income has been stagnant.

It's kind of a depressing sight when your property value gets reassessed lower but your total tax bill still goes up.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Personally, I’m opposed to school lunches altogether. I don’t believe it is the education system/taxpayer responsibility to feed the publicly schooled children.
    I see the feeding of offspring as a responsibility one undertakes when they become a parent. If parents pack their kiddos lunches, they can put whatever they want in the lunch box.

Thought I was the only one who thought this :tongue:
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    Personally, I’m opposed to school lunches altogether. I don’t believe it is the education system/taxpayer responsibility to feed the publicly schooled children.
    I see the feeding of offspring as a responsibility one undertakes when they become a parent. If parents pack their kiddos lunches, they can put whatever they want in the lunch box.

Um. I pay a heck a lot in taxes and I have to PAY for my kids hot lunch if they rarely purchase it. What a god awful attitude to have...resenting kids having a hot lunch. Shudder.

Every child deserves a hot meal. I just wish they weren't laden with preservatives and high fructose corn syrup.

I wish I knew more about gardening. I'd love to help grow a garden at my kiddos school and become active in changing the school lunch menus. Hmmm....maybe I will do that!
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Calm down naysayers. I didn’t say anything about punishing children or forcing children to go hungry. I said that I believe parents, not schools, are the ones responsible for feeding their children.

Insinuating that someone is somehow living in privilege because they actually feed their kids is what is utterly ridiculous; and a smack in the face to a lot of poor parents who struggle to make ends meet and still live up to their parental responsibilities. Millions of people living in poverty also take the responsibility to feed their kids every meal, every day. To imply that those families are somehow advantaged because they don’t agree with or want a particular social democracy program shows ignorance. As does the assumption that all the poor hungry kids are actually attending public schools anyway.

Having a differing opinion of social responsibility doesn’t make one “privileged” or “ridiculous.” It simply means that people see social responsibility differently. Some people think it is the schools/taxpayers’ responsibility to feed kids and some people think it is the parents’ responsibility to feed kids.

Meh. Whatever. People have differing opinions.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Calm down naysayers. I didn’t say anything about punishing children or forcing children to go hungry. I said that I believe parents, not schools, are the ones responsible for feeding their children.

Insinuating that someone is somehow living in privilege because they actually feed their kids is what is utterly ridiculous; and a smack in the face to a lot of poor parents who struggle to make ends meet and still live up to their parental responsibilities. Millions of people living in poverty also take the responsibility to feed their kids every meal, every day. To imply that those families are somehow advantaged because they don’t agree with or want a particular social democracy program shows ignorance. As does the assumption that all the poor hungry kids are actually attending public schools anyway.

Having a differing opinion of social responsibility doesn’t make one “privileged” or “ridiculous.” It simply means that people see social responsibility differently. Some people think it is the schools/taxpayers’ responsibility to feed kids and some people think it is the parents’ responsibility to feed kids.

Meh. Whatever. People have differing opinions.

:heart:
  • RGv2
    Options

You're opposed to kids being able to buy lunch at school?
  • JessicaBR13
    JessicaBR13 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    popcorn_2.gif

I don't know why but I can't stop laughing at this. But yeah, that's a ridiculous menu for a school. Especially for a child your age.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options

This is utterly ridiculous.

How am I supposed to teach a kid to read while he's HUNGRY?

Your privilege is showing.

"We had similar breakfast and lunch options when I was a youngster in school.
    My family qualified for the "free" school lunch program because we were so poor.
    On some occasions, the lunch I got at school was the only meal I ate that day."

"You'd be surprised how many kids these days are in similar situations.
    For some families it's not really an option to be selective about the types of food they eat, but more about
    IF they get to eat that day at all.

Just be grateful you have the luxury to send your child to school with a lunch you've hand selected for her."

"Schools have to feed a lot of children for pennies because they get no budget. It's more economical to bring in prepared foods and heat them than to buy everything fresh and pay the cooks more for all the extra time they need to make it."

Many "publicly schooled children" don't even have a parent at home who is capable of "packing their kiddo a lunch". It's a miracle some of these children get to school at all. You can spout the virtue of responsible parenting all day, and I for one am a VERY responsible parent, but the fact of the matter is much of America's population just doesn't see it this way.
    Our public schools have become a refuge for neglected children of all ages across this country, and just because we don't agree with the values (or lack thereof) of the parents doesn't mean we can ignore the needs of these kids.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

No, I think she wants poor children to starve. (My parents were relieved the schools offered free lunches as they barely kept a roof over our heads at times in my youth.) Maybe I'm being harsh. Perhaps she thinks the parents should starve.
  • RGv2
    Options

No, I think she wants poor children to starve. (My parents were relieved the schools offered free lunches as they barely kept a roof over our heads at times in my youth.) Maybe I'm being harsh. Perhaps she thinks the parents should starve.

"Personally, I’m opposed to school lunches altogether." tells me they're opposed to being able to get lunch at school, even when paying for it.
  • MommyLouLous
    MommyLouLous Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Since when my daughter began solid foods, I have worked diligently to get her started off on the right foot with her eating habits. She's only 2 (nearly 3), but I'm so blessed that she loves water (only has milk besides water) and loves a variety of fruits and vegetables (spinach, broccoli, green beans, and lettuce are among her favorites). I dread the day she starts making her own food selections when she's school age because I'm afraid she'll head down the same road I did. She's got a mega-sweet tooth if it's indulged (like her mom and grandmother), so I keep a tight leash on it and allow occasional sweets (mostly soft-served yogurt or a cookie). My dad gets so angry that we don't allow him to feed her everything under the sun, but he has no concept of "everything in moderation." Anyway, it sounds like school lunches haven't changed much in the past 10-15 years since I was last in school. I hope my daughter will still want healthy food when she's that age.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My son attended a school-based pre-K for about two months and 1) I sent lunch but they fed him school lunch anyway because I guess you can't tell a 4 year old "no, your mother packed you one" when he asks for what the other kids eat and 2) they would put out this semi-acceptable menu and then cross out all the healthy options and fill it in with hot dogs and pizza. They literally ate pizza and hot dogs all week long, with the occasional chicken finger.

Re: whose responsibility is it to feed the kids... mom and dad's responsibility, 100%. But it doesn't matter. If a kid is sent to school without food they should be fed. As a homeschooler who pays thousands in school taxes I get steamed when I see all the stupid CRAP my school does with its budget... but I don't begrudge a hungry kid food.
  • iTrainHARD
    Options

So you would punish children for their parents' poverty? So, not only are these children already disadvantaged because they cannot attend better school districts, but you will also choose to save yourself an extra couple of dollars a year and have these children starve?

Must be nice to just sit around and not care about anyone else.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"Personally, I’m opposed to school lunches altogether." tells me they're opposed to being able to get lunch at school, even when paying for it.

[/quote]

That seems silly, but perhaps you're right. The mere presence of food service in a public building is a bridge too far. Gov't is evil dontcha know.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    A few things:

1) That's a private daycare menu. Public schools (K-12) have "healthy lunch" standards mandated by law in which they do offer fruits and/or veggies with every meal and use turkey over pork in their hot dogs and stuff like that. It's still not always super healthy, but they are more nutritious than they used to be.

2) Some kids don't have the privilege of getting wholesome meals packed for them. Hell, some kids won't get to eat AT ALL if they don't eat what's provided at school.

3) Kids don't learn well or behave well while hungry. It's better to have "junk" than nothing at all, and - as I said initially, there is some nutrition in what is being fed to them at school.

4) Have you seen the portion sizes provided at schools? Even if they do eat a "sausage roll" at daycare, it's really not all that much food. More calories, certainly, than a similar portion of egg whites and fresh fruit, but not enough food to make any kid obese.

5) Eating more calories than you burn off is what makes kids (and adults) get fat. Reduced recess times and decreased PE classes, providing fewer opportunities for kids to burn of energy and calories, are just as much - if not more - to blame for the childhood obesity epidemic as one slice of pepperoni pizza and some canned peaches for lunch instead of a serving of grilled chicken breast and spinach.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    In the UK there are free meals, but only for those whose parents are on income support.

And yes; it does annoy me how many parents have children with the expectation that the state will take care of them.
    If I was to look to have kids, I would make very sure I had a good income with back up plans to support them.

I appreciate situations change and the like.
    For a fair bit of my high school I was on the free meal tickets. But that was my choice as I wanted a hot dinner - my mum would have just as happily made me 'healthy' packed lunches as she got by on income support ok, by not spending excessively and making sure cheap food was bought with no luxuries.

If the parents can't make a packed lunch, I'd have to question if they should be allowed to bring up kids at all!