School menu ridiculousness

Options

Replies

• gogoboobzilla
    gogoboobzilla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just romanticizing things, but I recall there being a STEEP dropoff in food quality when I went from elementary school to middle school, so around 2005. Not sure if new laws went into effect or something then, but man. I remember GOOD fresh fruit, mashed potatoes (never fries), and peaches 'n cream for dessert. Of course there was Domino's Pizza day 1x a week and most of the food was still bad choices, but it seemed like higher quality bad choices.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Same here, I think there was a quality change for the worst from elementary to middle. Glad I'm not the only weirdo who noticed...not that you're a weirdo lol, most would probably think it's weird to be thinking about the food quality of grade school.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    It's not the food that's making kids obese, it's the TV, and the Ipad, and the Xbox, and the overprotective parents who shelter their kids indoors. When you're a kid, you're supposed to be active, many of us just went until we crashed face down on the carpet, and as a result, what we ate was largely inconsequential. Not saying that kids don't benefit from real food, just that they don't suffer as much as adults from over processed food (assuming the kids are active.) Kids in school these days sit in class for hours on end, many schools have done away with PE programs, and recess, and when they get home they vedge in front of the boob tube. That's what's making them fat. When I was a kid I spent hours playing basketball, football, night games, or riding my bike. At that point I could eat whatever I wanted and not gain an ounce. Kids need to be kids, otherwise, they get fat.

By the way, I'm no fan of the school lunch program, or public schools in general, but it's become an easy scapegoat for parents who are largely vacant from their children's lives.

Rigger

95.gif

THIS!!! ^^^^
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd be like run for the hills. If that's what they "know" to be good nutrition for kids, what are their history classes like?
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My kids bring their lunches and we've had no issues with peer pressure. Actually the opposite has happened with other kids trying to take stuff from my kid's lunches :grumble: As for cost-it's almost $2 for one cafeteria lunch x3 kids-heck no! I can pack their lunches for cheaper than that. One time last year grandma gave my kid's money for a hot lunch and my kids kept the money and asked me to pack them something :laugh:
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'm at war with my husband over feeding our little girl. I don't want her to be so sheltered from "junk food" that she binges on it in secret or when she's away from us when she gets older, but I don't see how it's necessary. He, his mother and his brother constantly try to feed her sweets and desserts and potato chips. It makes me incredibly upset when I see him giving her drinks of soda. She's ONE for goodness sakes...let her teeth grow IN before you start trying to rot them out!

I wouldn't give up on that fight. And the best thing you can do now is shelter her from it! You are setting her eating habits and cravings right now!

I never let my kids have school lunches bc they are disgusting.

I tend to agree as well. My 3 yr old doesn't have the capacity to know that an apple with some PB on it is better for her than say a kit kat.

Now go look at my diary and say "who are you to talk mr. taco bell lol." Point is, as an adult I feel I should help teach her that there are differences in foods. Some foods we eat for fuel, and some foods we eat for fun, and if you can make your fun food work as fuel then go for it!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I'm at war with my husband over feeding our little girl. I don't want her to be so sheltered from "junk food" that she binges on it in secret or when she's away from us when she gets older, but I don't see how it's necessary. He, his mother and his brother constantly try to feed her sweets and desserts and potato chips. It makes me incredibly upset when I see him giving her drinks of soda. She's ONE for goodness sakes...let her teeth grow IN before you start trying to rot them out!

That food will also destroy her teeth.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It's no wonder we're raising generations of obese children, considering what they're getting in public school.

Yes, it's the school's fault. :huh:
    Never mind that the parents don't teach kids healthy choices, healthy eating habits, or how to listen to their body's natural hunger & full cues. Never mind that the parents allow their kids to sit and play xbox for 5 hours a day... Nope... we are all obese because we eat one crappy meal per day.

Right! You know what..just home school your kid. Problem solved. If you are that outraged and the schools "aren't listening" even though you could, I don't know, make your kids' lunches..then there is an option to do something about your situation since the other options of teaching your kids moderation or/and fixing their lunches is just too much trouble.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I make my kids lunch every day to take to his day camp. He starts school again this Monday, and that's not going to change. I can't say I make the perfect lunch, but I'm happy with it:

Natural PB and standard jelly
    Fruit leather (I'm usually able to find things that aren't complete sugar)
    Granola Bar (the Clif krispy bars are pretty tasty!)
    Bell peppers, carrots, apple, peaches, oranges, or some other actual fruit/veggie
    Juice Box (apple juice or those V8 splashers things)

Not perfect, but it works, and he eats it all.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    It's not the food that's making kids obese, it's the TV, and the Ipad, and the Xbox, and the overprotective parents who shelter their kids indoors. When you're a kid, you're supposed to be active, many of us just went until we crashed face down on the carpet, and as a result, what we ate was largely inconsequential. Not saying that kids don't benefit from real food, just that they don't suffer as much as adults from over processed food (assuming the kids are active.) Kids in school these days sit in class for hours on end, many schools have done away with PE programs, and recess, and when they get home they vedge in front of the boob tube. That's what's making them fat. When I was a kid I spent hours playing basketball, football, night games, or riding my bike. At that point I could eat whatever I wanted and not gain an ounce. Kids need to be kids, otherwise, they get fat.

By the way, I'm no fan of the school lunch program, or public schools in general, but it's become an easy scapegoat for parents who are largely vacant from their children's lives.

Rigger

95.gif

QFFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I take my kids to the grocer, talk about healthy choices, and pack their lunches.

If kids are getting consistent messages about what is healthy and what isn't, they can make good decisions. Parents bring in birthday cupcakes and random treats constantly. It isn't just the lunches.

When my son's preschool teacher handed out giant lollipops, he said, "Ms. Barbara, why did you do that? I thought you cared about us". Our school also limits water to mealtime and right after recess, so the sugars stay in a dry mouth all day long.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Yeah, I'd be like run for the hills. If that's what they "know" to be good nutrition for kids, what are their history classes like?

Wow. That comparison makes NO sense. You are saying the teachers (who have no power over the nutrition at school) are crap because the school's food doesn't meet your standards? seriously? well, just stay uneducated then, I guess.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Weird. Our school's lunches are now extremely healthy and well-balanced. They usually have a baked protein source, a fruit, a vegetable, and a starch. They took away the option (cheese quesadilla) that was available if a child didn't like what was being served. Every kid must take either a fruit or a veggie option. Regular milk or low fat chocolate milk are the beverages provided.

I don't pack my child a lunch because the school lunches are far more healthy than anything I would pack. My child is a very picky eater, but she is more willing to try new things at school than she is at home. I'm actually very impressed with our school's lunches.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I know- it is crazy. My daughter started packing her lunch every day around second grade because the food at school was so unhealthy (and this was well before I hopped onto the eating healthy wagon). She was thrilled to enter high school because they had a salad bar, but quickly went back to packing lunches because most days the salad bar was left unstocked while they served pizza, corn dogs, french fries and other krap.

It is horrible what kids are fed at school. And I don't know about your school, but none of the schools in Tennessee offered skim milk, it was whole or 2%. All the food comes to them frozen and then is fried or just heated up- the schools don't actually "make" anything anymore.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! It's like taking your own lunch to school isn't even an option... oh wait, it is.

Maybe, just maybe, the idea of school providing lunch shouldn't be seen as the school's obligation but as an option the school is providing.

Also, all the food listed in that menu is real food. I didn't see any mention of styrofoam cutouts or paper mache creations.

Don't want your kids to eat those sorts of foods? Take the responsibility on yourself as a parent and send them to school with what you consider 'good' food.
  • ladypitek
    ladypitek Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Morgan Spurlock addressed both the nutrition and cost of school lunches in Supersize Me. He clearly shows that there ARE suppliers who will provide healthy food to students at the same cost as providing the pizza, french fries, and sloppy joes that they currently serve. It's really a matter of principals and school administrators doing their homework. Perhaps if the children were fed properly there would be fewer incidences of hyperactivity and distractions from the actual LEARNING that is supposed to be going on in the classroom. If a kid eats pizza and fries and soda for lunch of COURSE they're going to crash an hour later and be completely unable to focus in class. School adminstrators really just need to reprioritize and do a little research.
  • mslizalde
    Options
    I loved that you posted this! I think so many parents going back to school assume the schools are preparing nutritional meals for our kids but they aren't! They can't with the budgets they've been given and the staff that they are hiring. Parents need to review the schools menu and opt out if they feel it is inadequate which it probably will be.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! It's like taking your own lunch to school isn't even an option... oh wait, it is.

Maybe, just maybe, the idea of school providing lunch shouldn't be seen as the school's obligation but as an option the school is providing.

Also, all the food listed in that menu is real food. I didn't see any mention of styrofoam cutouts or paper mache creations.

Don't want your kids to eat those sorts of foods, take the responsibility on yourself as a parent and send them to school with what you consider 'good' food.

Agree. I know several families that either go to private or charter schools, including my nieces, and they don't even have cafeterias. The kids eat at their desks and bring in their own lunches. It works great!
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options

WOW! My daughter is 5 and while she does get some sweets and chips now and then, soda is a rarity for her. She actually considers most of them "too spicy" as she's not used to the taste.

She's currently at a private daycare, and will be starting kindergarten in a few weeks. She is already requesting what foods she wants in her lunches, and yogurts/go-gurts, string cheese, and fresh fruits such as apples and berries are right at the top of her list.

EDIT: And the only thing she wants to purchase is her milk.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You REALLY need to have your pediatrician speak to your husband if he is trying to feed your daughter soda at one year of age. Does he not realize how important it is for her to have an extremely nutrient-dense diet? She is not going to start binging in secret at one year of age. Her digestive tract wasn't even fully developed until she was 3-4 months old! All of her organs are brand new! There is a reason why infants aren't supposed to have certain foods before they reach one year of age. Her stomach is tiny which means everything that goes into it needs to be nutritious. I don't even like kids and I think it is absolutely ridiculous to feed soda to an infant. What the hell. Right, blame the school lunches.