May 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    SO!

I did it. I ordered a set of Trekz Aftershocks Titanium headphones. These are the BONE CONDUCTING kind that do not go in your ears at all. Amazon had them at $83 with Prime Shipping. Was hoping to try them today, but my schedule did not work out well, so hopefully tomorrow.

After I have had them for a bit I will post a review. So stay tuned! :)

I have these! They survived me dumping water all over my head for almost 5 hours the other day. Sometimes the sound gets a little vibratey, more than I'd expect for headphones I paid almost $100 USD on (I think because of sweat), but I do like them, can hear things around me, and the battery lasts forever before I need to charge them.

Good to hear! I am worried about their water survival. I have had JLabs, Jay Bird, and other expensive brands that all CLAIM to be safe for running in the rain and etc, and none have lasted save my Plantronics Back Beats.

I hope to get the full 2-year warranty life out of them. If I have to replace them every two years, that will be okay. That will be umm 24 times longer than most I have had to deal with at least.

Not hugely concerned on audio quality since I mostly listen to the spoken word while I run and I am sure they will deliver that quite well. I did test them earlier with Skillet Monster and they are a bit tinny, but not bad really. I felt the bass more than heard it, but I think that is a limitation of the tech.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    SO!

I did it. I ordered a set of Trekz Aftershocks Titanium headphones. These are the BONE CONDUCTING kind that do not go in your ears at all. Amazon had them at $83 with Prime Shipping. Was hoping to try them today, but my schedule did not work out well, so hopefully tomorrow.

After I have had them for a bit I will post a review. So stay tuned! :)

I use them and love them. Only downside: I bought them in Dec. and they stopped charging at the end of Apr / beginning of May (can't recall exactly). I put in for a warranty replacement, but I had to do the marathon on 5/11 with in-ear earbuds. The replacement was actually delivered to my home while I was out running the marathon... just poor timing. :(

ETA: I ran with them last Sat. in light rain for a couple hours... then the skies opened and it was pouring! It was worse than standing in the shower. :( I put on a rain jacket with a hood at that point, so not sure if they could have withstood standing under a waterfall or not.
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

Cool! @ContraryMaryMary and myself are the resident kiwis! (there is another but can't recall their name off the top of my head)

Rotorua is awesome, lots to do - kinda a tourist mecca. Given its the middle of winter in August, a tent wouldn't necessarily be the best unless you are used to camping in the colder months. Tongorairo is definitely worth a visit. I'm in New Plymouth - about 4 hrs drive from Hamilton and there are good trails all around Mt Taranaki (and ill go for a run with you if we can make it work lol). It all depends what exactly you are into. It's skiing season as well and the slopes are only a couple of hrs drive from Hamilton

Thanks, @Avidkeo! This is just the kind of info I was looking for! Good to know that June (& August!) are generally too cold for camping.... We sometimes go in late fall here near Seattle, but the weirdness of solo camping in the off season would probably also be as uncomfortable as cold temperatures if it’s anything like here. I’ll get in touch if I’m near New Plymouth! And I love hot springs, so am glad Rotorua sounds good. I like snowboarding too, but do a lot of that here, so with a limited window of time, I’ll probably gear more towards hiking & exploring (I only have a few days). Thanks again!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Ran with my After Shokz Trek Titanium headphones. About 90 mins on the run. It was really nice how much better I could hear cars and other things around me. I could hear them before but not as well.

The vocals on the book (The Eye of the World) were loud and clear, but it is not a noise route. I have one route that I probably will not run again for at least a week or two that goes by train tracks. It will be interesting to see how well they compete with a train going by at 40 or 50mph not 5 meters away. With other headsets, often I just pause the book until either the train or I leave the area.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    If you live in the US, then I've mentioned Achievement before where you earn $10 per 10,000 points...this normally takes me about 10 weeks or so. Just checked today to see how much I had left to do, and I'm this close...I may have to take a nap or something to get that last point.
    bxrtggutv80n.jpg

I just looked, I am at almost 30,000 points since you first mentioned it. I pretty much set it up and forgot about it. I occasionally think to open it to click on a survey or something, but pretty much go weeks without recalling it. I guess at some point I should do something with those points.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Glad to hear the recovery is going well, albeit frustratingly slow. You only mentioned concrete and asphalt...you're probably already doing this, but any grass sections you can run on during the route, switch to those...it's what I did when I was told I could start running again while recovering from a stress fracture in my left tibia, and it helped lessen the impact.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    If you live in the US, then I've mentioned Achievement before where you earn $10 per 10,000 points...this normally takes me about 10 weeks or so. Just checked today to see how much I had left to do, and I'm this close...I may have to take a nap or something to get that last point.
    bxrtggutv80n.jpg

I just looked, I am at almost 30,000 points since you first mentioned it. I pretty much set it up and forgot about it. I occasionally think to open it to click on a survey or something, but pretty much go weeks without recalling it. I guess at some point I should do something with those points.

That's awesome! It usually takes about 3-4 business days from when I claim the reward to seeing the money in my PayPal account. Or if you're feeling generous, you can simply donate it to charity.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Date...........Run.......Walk
    05/01........00M.......2.5M *tapering*
    05/02........00M.......4.0M *tapering*
    05/03........00M.......0.0M *tapering*
    05/04........03M.......0.0M Pittsburgh 5k
    05/05........26M.......0.0M Pittsburgh Marathon
    05/06........00M.......0.0M *tapering*
    05/07........07M.......0.0M *tapering*
    05/08........09M.......0.0M
    05/09........06M.......0.0M
    05/10........09M.......4.0M
    05/11........10M.......0.0M
    05/12........10M.......0.0M
    05/13........00M.......3.3M
    05/14........00M.......3.5M
    05/15........14M.......4.0M
    05/16........08M.......0.0M
    05/17........15M.......3.5M
    05/18........10M.......0.0M
    05/19........6.5M......0.0M
    05/20........10M.......3.5M
    05/21........07M.......0.0M
    05/22........08M.......0.0M
    05/23........00M.......4.0M
    05/24........09M.......0.0M

---MTD: 32.3miles walking, 158.8 miles running, and 0KM resting

Upcoming Races
    Hell Have No Hurry 50k Trail Race - June 2019
    Howl at the Moon - Nighttime 5k - August 2019
    <plus some others that I can not recall>

202? - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Hell Have No Hurry
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    8.98 miles tonight. This weekend's marathon is in Rochester, MN on Sunday. Anyone else planning to run that?

exercise.png
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    So keeping up with this month's thread better than most month's threads.

@katharmonic ...sorry about the corral mixup. It looks like you did the best in an adverse situation. With the race being so short, it is hard to make up ground when you have to get around walkers. When I ran the mini-marathon last year, I had to come to a stop a couple of times due to participants taking selfies. GRRRRR! I almost didn't sign up for this year, but decided that each race is an experience. Circumstances should be better next time. I am sure that runners objected to the race planners.

@mobycarp....I am glad to see you back. I know that it is tough when you can't run due to injury, but you have so much wisdom and are a real inspiration to us not-so-fast runners. In fact, I thought about you when one of my races was on a rainy day. I thought that it was only a half....not like @MobyCarp faced when running the Boston last year.

@Avidkeo ...I also have a house to sell. I may pm you when I get close to selling mine. Good luck. I know that it is such a headache.

Good news. My girlfriend was offered a job and she starts June 3. We celebrated tonight at the Bonefish Grille, and I have to admit drinking 3 glasses of Merlot, which is probably 2 glasses more than my limit. (I am such a light weight). It was good to see her happy, and I was a little jealous because she is starting a new job with new opportunities. She was offered her old job back. Her place of employment called her twice. The first time she told them that she would think about it and then today, she said, "no thanks". They were going to change her status from fired to resignation. I know that she will be happier at the new job. Sometimes (at least my experience) the people who have been at a situation for a long time are taken for granted.

Well, happy running everyone....I should get another run in on Sunday and Monday and meet my goal! Good luck to anyone racing this weekend, and I hope that our injured runners heal quickly.

Good luck selling! And yay for your girlfriend, such good news
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    May Running Totals (miles)
    5/1 – injury rehab
    5/2 – injury rehab
    5/3 – injury rehab
    5/4 – injury rehab
    5/5 – injury rehab
    5/6 – injury rehab
    5/7 – injury rehab
    5/8 – injury rehab
    5/9 – injury rehab
    5/10 – injury rehab
    5/11 – injury rehab
    5/12 – injury rehab
    5/13 – injury rehab
    5/14 – injury rehab
    5/15 – injury rehab
    5/16 – injury rehab
    5/17 – injury rehab
    5/18 – injury rehab
    5/19 – injury rehab
    5/20 – injury rehab
    5/21 – injury rehab
    5/22 – injury rehab
    5/23 – injury rehab
    5/24 – 3.09 run/walk intervals

May running total to date – 3.09

Nominal May mileage goal: more than zero

Real Goals: Recover from stress fracture without making it worse.

Today's notes – I got to where I couldn't stand to read about people running, so I've missed the last 300 or 400 posts here. Today, I'm back. Not doing much yet, but it's a start.

Yesterday the foot did not feel pain when squeezed at the metatarsal. It was still swollen, and I still have some weakness in the joints at the base of the toes; but today I was able to do 3 sets of 10 one-leg calf raises on the block with 10 lbs. of weight. It's not right, but it was good enough to attempt the very beginning of my return to running.

Set out for a known 5K flattish route, with the protocol of 2 minutes running, 2 minutes walking. The foot isn't totally right; the discomfort (not really rising to the level of pain) in the joints at the base of the toe was noticeable in the second minute of most of the running intervals. And my foot could definitely tell the difference between concrete sidewalks and asphalt road while running. But I completed the planned route, was still able to walk, and it wasn't a known total disaster.

Tomorrow morning I'll find out whether I overdid things today, but I'm pretty confident I didn't do any major damage to myself.

Grand total of about 16 minutes running, for a bit over 2 miles of running distance and about a mile of walking distance. It's not much; but that's 16 more minutes of running than I was able to do in the entire month of April. Goal for May has been achieved.

The 5K tomorrow is a definite DNS. Yes, I could go the distance. It would be stupid to put myself into a race environment on the second day running after coming back from a stress fracture. This week, I'm not that stupid.

2019 Races:
    January 1, 2019 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) finished in 50:55
    January 5, 2019 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:48
    January 12, 2019 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds 5 Mile) (Spencerport, NY) finished in 33:10
    January 26, 2019 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) 4.9 miles, finished in 32:28
    February 2, 2019 USATF XC Championship, Masters 8K (Tallahassee, FL) finished in 32:53
    February 9, 2019 Freezeroo #5 (Tom Brannon 8 mile) (Greece, NY) finished in 55:55
    February 23, 2019 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) finished in 28:34
    March 16, 2019 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K) (Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 32:02
    March 17, 2019 Shamrock Half Marathon (Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 1:34:21
    April 13, 2019 BAA 5K (Boston, MA) DNS - injury
    April 15, 2019 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA to Boston, MA) DNS - injury
    April 28, 2019 USATF Masters 10K (James Joyce Ramble) (Dedham, MA) canceled registration - injury
    May 19, 2019 Lilac Run 5K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    May 19, 2019 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    May 25, 2019 Sunset House 5K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 7, 2019 Charlie McMullen Mile (Pittsford, NY)
    June 16, 2019 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    June 29, 2019 A Country Mile at Ganondagan (5-ish mile trail) (Victor, NY)
    November 3, 2019 TCS New York City Marathon (New York, NY)

Great to have you back!!