May 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Oh adding @AlphaHowls I thought of you today as I chased a couple of calves up the road that managed to escape their paddock! 2 of them were sensible enough to jump back into their field, but one kept running up the road. I slowed down but he was freaking out. So I slowed down, and eventually he went back past me an back up the road towards his paddock. I didn't follow and just hoped he got there lol. But had to laugh I had just read your account of cows watching you go past just before going out.
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Had a wet and windy mid-50s 10 mile run today—luckily it didn’t start raining until I was nice and warmed up, so I didn’t mind at all.

We had an unexpected guest Thursday night (friend flying through got stuck here for a night), and an expected guest from yesterday through next week, so all is a bit hectic and I missed a plan run and some rides. I was especially glad about getting a good long run in.

I am very sympathetic to leaving a programming job where you need to collaborate at a table—yikes! We are in cubes and it’s a bit maddening. Luckily I like my colleagues, but it gets hard to focus.

May goal: 70 mi

5/1 2 mi
    5/2 2 mi
    5/5 13.3 mi
    5/8 cross (8.5 mi bike commute)
    5/9 3 mi and cross (8.5 mi bike commute)
    5/10 2.7 mi and cross (8.5 mi bike commute)
    5/11 cross (12.5 mi biking with kids)
    5/12 3 mi and cross (4 mi biking with kids)
    5/13 cross (9.7 mi bike commute)
    5/14 4 mi
    5/15 2.5 mi (10.3 mi bike commute)
    5/17 7 mi (9 mi bike commute)
    5/18 cross (9.5 mi biking with kids)
    5/19 4 mi and cross (23.25 mi biking with kids)
    5/21 5 mi and cross (8.5 mi bike commute)
    5/22 4 mi with hill repeats and cross (5.7 mi bike commute)
    5/23 cross (7.1 mi bike commute)
    5/25 10 mi

May total: 62.5 mi

2019 Races:
    3/16 Kirkland Shamrock Run 5K
    4/13 Mud & Chocolate 4.5 mi trail run
    5/5 Vancouver BMO Half Marathon
    5/12 The Color Run 5K
    5/18 Your Canyon for a Day 35 mi Bike Tour, Yakima

6/16 Monroe Bubble Run 5K
    7/21 Seafair Triathlon?
    8/11 Lake Union 10K?
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    simcon1 wrote: »
    Totally off topic, but I’m headed to New Zealand next month for work (flying into Auckland, conference is in Hamilton), and will have a couple days free after that. For those of you living there, does exploring Rotorua sound like a good plan? Any national parks not too far (like a few hours’ drive) that would be reasonable that time of year? Should I bring a tent? Um, tying back to make it relevant—any good places not to miss for running? :) Grateful for any advice..NZ feels pretty far away from the US West Coast

Hey, that’s awesome! Rotorua has some beautiful running, but finding nature is not hard in New Zealand. You’ll get gorgeous off-road running less than half an hour from Hamilton. Rotorua is great, but touristy and smells like rotten eggs (true story). It has awesome trails nearby (namely, The Redwoods which is about 5-10 minutes from town). You haven’t given your dates, but if you’re here on the 22nd June and fancy an awesome trail event, do the Double Rainbow - lots of distance options from easy to mad
    https://www.lacticturkey.co.nz/doublerainbow/
    Also this is on: http://activeqt.co.nz/event/rotorua-multisport/

You could also head to the Coromandel for some beautiful trail running (you may remember photos my Pinnacles run from March - that’s probably around an hour from Hamilton). Pretty beaches there too.

If you’re here in Auckland over a weekend I can certainly hook you up with a scenic trail run or two. There are two Xterra trail runs in regional Auckland in June (9th and 30th) and I plan to run the one on the 30th in Waiuku Forest as it’s awesome. https://www.trailrun.co.nz/ and the one on the 9th is probably less than two hours drive from Hamilton.

And, yes, June is officially winter down here but a North Island winter is fairly mild. Could be wet though.

Happy to provide other pointers and answer questions!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @Scott6255 Have they asked for any ideas/feedback from the front line staff ( you ) about the so called Development Team? I like my personal space at work , at home every where. Give me an outline of the work, give me the software and get out of my way.

@PastorVincent @rheddmobile
    I don't do software development but I do a lot of equipment configuration and programming. I have 2 laptops for my work - the reason is operational efficiency. ( everyone in my unit has at least 2 Laptop's )
    We all know that certain process's/upgrades require multiple steps requiring that the Programming Computer not be disconnected/interrupted. So while PC #1 is doing it's thing I can continue with other activities using the other computer. When the first computer Beeps ( volume to max ) I can then start the next step of the process's with out worrying about cross contamination error's. Strange how some CTO etc can move from Corporation to Corporation with ideas that haven't been Time Tested and Field proven.

An example of that is the No Zero's Educational Model that some school districts had adopted that are now coming back to hurt the students as standard entry test's don't lie. Imagine not handing in any work, not writing test's and still getting a passing mark. Once in University/College/tech schools you can quickly see who has done the work and who hasn't. Some Canadian Universities were even starting to place certain School Districts/Schools on a Admission review list because students coming out of them were getting Uni Exam marks significantly below the average and had higher drop out/failure rates.

On the programming discussion - when I was a programmer I had my own office and could close the door and work in peace without interruption. I could not have worked in a shared space like that. Cubicles were bad enough! The company I worked for before I retired (IT Sales support not programming) built a brand new building in Dallas with no offices, even for the executives, just big open spaces with shared tables. There were a few conference rooms of varying sizes but they were rarely available. We lived and breathed on conference calls so it was really a mess all the calls bleeding into one another and just so much noise. Also it had no ceiling, just open piping and the floors were mostly cement so the sound reverberated terribly.

@Juliet3455 - when I was in HS I had a calculus teacher who felt we didn't need to learn to derive things, that was what the CRC Math Tables were for. When I got to college one of the 1st things they wanted us to do was derive all parts of an equation...I spent an entire semester (and the summer) nearly failing the courses for my degree while I tried to learn what I had missed. Fortunately I met a great tutor who later became my husband and I was able to graduate with honors so it did work out but just as easily could have been the end of my degree program.

No run for me for a while because of the agility trial but got lots of course runs in with the pup and around 15k steps in each day.

That is another thing... I work with two laptops and an iPad. The primary laptop has three screens. At that company where they now all sit around a table and share computers... no extra monitors. There is no space for them. No extra devices either.

It really is like Dante designed the office place.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    5-1 injury idle
    5-2 rest
    5-3 injury idle
    5-4 injury idle
    5-5 injury idle
    5-6 rest
    5-7 3.5k slow
    5-8 7.5k slow
    5-9 rest
    5-10 7k easy
    5-11 11k slow
    5-12 7k recovery
    5-13 rest
    5-14 7k threshold
    5-15 7k recovery
    5-16 rest
    5-17 7k easy
    5-18 11k slow
    5-19 7k easy
    5-20 rest
    5-21 7k easy
    5-22 7k threshold
    5-23 rest
    5-24 7k easy
    5-25 7k slow
    5-26 rest

May Total: 103k
    May Goal: 100k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k

Monthly average: 149.875k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen

Taking an unscheduled rest day today. Right hip decided it wanted to hurt some more again. Will do Monday and Tuesday runs instead of taking Monday as a rest day.

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-1 Freedom 5K (Will be off the schedule due to another commitment)
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @Scott6255 Have they asked for any ideas/feedback from the front line staff ( you ) about the so called Development Team? I like my personal space at work , at home every where. Give me an outline of the work, give me the software and get out of my way.

I haven't met any of the others on the team yet. And I really don't have any idea what the working environment will be, other than having to work on-site and in cubes. I am sure it is only 1 person/laptop (they are issuing me the laptop).
    It is a pretty unique situation...this is a company that has been a customer of ours for 17 years. But this is a different division entirely. I am still working my old job, but for 30 hours a week I have to go to the new place to work. In my 'spare' time I have to do my real job. My boss is kind of "pimping me out" (no offense) to this other company. So basically doing two jobs for the price of one 🙄

@AlphaHowls I'm sure you are the topic of discussion more times than you think, because you are such an inspiration to so many.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @scott6255 - my company would do that too! Send our people in to help a client 'fix' their issues. Sometimes they weren't even a client yet and they would get our help for free (sometimes for months) with 'no strings attached'. I am sure our management hoped it would sway their decision to sign with us but often it made no difference and they went with another company.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    A lady I sometimes run (part of) my Saturday run with: She stated she went to a retirement party for her husband's co-worker. She stated, "guess what the topic was that evening?" I said, "Trump." She laughed and stated, "no, it was you!" She explained that I was the topic, not by name, but by "that woman that runs all the time."

So TRUE STORY:

The day before the Pittsburgh Marathon is a 5k. You might remember this one as being the one race I run a year with my wife the entire way. I run roughly 50% faster than her so most of the time I run the race, finish, come back, find her and finish again. But not this race. This race I run the whole thing with her.

Well anyways that has nothing to do with the story other than to place it on the calendar. Well, it was right after the 5k. Keep in mind there are 40,000 RUNNERS in town for the Pittsburg race weekend. Well, Kristi, a friend, and I are walking back to the parking garage after the 5k and someone calls out: "Check it out! That is VINCENT the most famous runner in Pittsburgh."

I look at the voice and some guy is pointing me out to his daughter (or at least a little girl that was with him).

I was like "Uh, hi," waved and moved on out of there.

I have never seen that person before or since. Not that I got a good look before I...

5ut4le67p1oi.gif

You are a famous runner! Congratulations on "arriving."
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    A lady I sometimes run (part of) my Saturday run with: She stated she went to a retirement party for her husband's co-worker. She stated, "guess what the topic was that evening?" I said, "Trump." She laughed and stated, "no, it was you!" She explained that I was the topic, not by name, but by "that woman that runs all the time."

So TRUE STORY:

The day before the Pittsburgh Marathon is a 5k. You might remember this one as being the one race I run a year with my wife the entire way. I run roughly 50% faster than her so most of the time I run the race, finish, come back, find her and finish again. But not this race. This race I run the whole thing with her.

Well anyways that has nothing to do with the story other than to place it on the calendar. Well, it was right after the 5k. Keep in mind there are 40,000 RUNNERS in town for the Pittsburg race weekend. Well, Kristi, a friend, and I are walking back to the parking garage after the 5k and someone calls out: "Check it out! That is VINCENT the most famous runner in Pittsburgh."

I look at the voice and some guy is pointing me out to his daughter (or at least a little girl that was with him).

I have never seen that person before or since. Not that I got a good look before I...

5ut4le67p1oi.gif

Well now that I have "arrived"... where is the exit?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

So TRUE STORY:

5ut4le67p1oi.gif

Well now that I have "arrived"... where is the exit?

Haha! We have a few local runners that are "famous". Maybe it's just that, to a local group maybe kids CC groups, a few take notice.

We lived in a very small town, 3,000, when the kids were little. I remember one of them asking if we were famous. I said no, why? They cited that everyone waved at us. Haha! Ya I think they are being friendly. Kids. So ya know, someone took notice and was being friendly.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Two programmers to a computer . . .

This is one of the things that would make me want to ask upper management, "If you're so rich, why aren't you smart?"

It's also an example of karma in action. The very people who are smart, motivated, organized, and productive will be the ones who are in a position to say, "good-bye." But they'll be able to keep the people who can't organized their lives well enough to stop living paycheck to paycheck, no matter how big the salary is.