Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    congratulation all you racers
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    So after yesterday’s half I feel a bit tired, some aches in the thighs and core, big blister on my toe, but nowhere as as sore as I thought I’d feel. There was a discount on next years event if we signed up within 24 hours - so I did! I have a 10k in August then the half next year. Advise me knowledgable people - do I keep doing long runs, or do I lay off for a while?

Congratulations on that half!

Training preferences are as individual as shoe choice. Your re just trying to find what works best for you and your body.

I did well with base building between races. I never did speed work and long runs were done only because I enjoyed being out. Every run is relatively the same distance during base building, ( I liked 3-5 miles building to 6-8). Weekends are nice if you want to get out further and farther, but don’t change how you approach the run from the weekly runs, slow and steady. At my best, I’d run the first 5k at a self competitive pace, say 10 min/mile average or 12, or under 15- depending on where I was at in my conditioning and the temperature. Then the remaining run was easy. I found that more frequent shorter runs to have the biggest effect on my training. Daily runs, if you can do it. Or least daily activity. But I’m sold on the daily run (I say having not run in 3 months).

Was it @rheddmobile that also did daily training for a while? I know @AlphaHowls does... anyone else?

Do you have a running journal? I find it helpful in planning and seeing the trends. When I come up against something I can see, oh duh dodo, you’ve ramped it up, or duh ding dong, you haven’t done squat. (I haven’t done squat, hehe).

It is exciting seeing your progress and likely your next half will be a big PR for you. I’m jealous, but also so very excited for you!
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thanks PastorVincent. I try not to set myself targets because then I get so stressed and anxious about failing them which I know is silly. I’d like to improve my speed so I can better 10k time. I’ll never be super fast. I once did a sub 60minute but I’m not I could do that now, however I can definitely improve on where I am now. The main thing I guess is not to stop running for a while like last time, cos it’s so hard to pick it up again! Bit of gentle walking today but will go out for a short run later in the week.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm in for the same goals as last month:

Goal # 1 - 100 miles
    Goal # 2 - 110 miles

I have the following races this month:
    Wisconsin Half Marathon on May 4
    Twilight 10K May 25
    Run Madtown Half May 26

May 1 - 3 miles
    May 2 - 3 miles

6 miles total for May

Miles until Goal # 1 - 94 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 104 miles

May 4 - 13.1 miles

19.1 miles for May

Miles until Goal # 1 - 80.90 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 90.90 miles

Ran Wisconsin Half Marathon yesterday and PR'd by over 2 minutes. Two HUGE PR's for me in 2 weeks. Old time was 2:04:02 and time yesterday was 2:01:53. And considering before April 20, I hadn't PR'd anything in 4 years. THIS IS MY YEAR!!!

Thank you to everyone who passed along congrats! I really feel great off that PR.

May 6 - 5.13 miles

24.23 miles for May

Miles until Goal # 1 - 75.77 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 85.77 miles

May 8 - 3.22 miles

27.45 miles for May

Miles until Goal # 1 - 72.55 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 82.55 miles

Well, I did a thing this week. I signed up officially for Marathon #3 this fall (September 22 to be exact). Oops.

May 9 - 5 miles

32.45 miles for May

Miles until Goal # 1 - 67.55 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 77.55 miles

May 10 - 6 miles

38.45 miles for May

Miles until Goal # 1 - 61.55 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 71.55 miles

May 12 - 1 stupid mile

I did Tabata on Saturday and that just about killed me. I haven't taken a ton of time off since the half last week, so it finally caught up to me.

39.45 miles for May
    Miles until Goal # 1 - 60.55 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 70.55 miles
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @shanaber that medal looks like you could use as a weapon if need be! :smiley: Well done!
    @noblsheep Great job! I hope you had some truly wonderful carbs :)

Truth! It is super heavy and I don't think it could ever really be used as a wine stopper. DH hung it from the mirror in the car at one point and I was worried it would hit and crack the dashboard screen or even the window! 😳
  • shanaber
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the comments on my HM! I think my legs are feeling well enough to get out for a short walk/recovery run. I am going to keep it pretty chill this week and then get back to base building with 1 day/week of speed work. My next HM in September is pretty much all downhill (what was I thinking?!) so I see lots of hill repeats in the next few months which will mean driving to some hills somewhere :)

@zeesparrow - Hobbes the Vizsla is very social and loves to go and play with other dogs at day care, the beach, etc... He does NOT love dogs that come running up to him (leashed or otherwise) when he is on leash. I think it is a resource guarding issue (me being the resource to guard). If I get stressed it just makes him worse. Maybe it was a good thing your girl slipped her collar played a bit and then came back to you.

@samthepanda - I think it is good to keep up with the long runs after you rest enough for your body to recover from the race. It will make your 10k seems easier and you will definitely be ready for your long runs on the HM training plan when you start that again.
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart and @shanaber - thank you both for your comments. Our dogs are great, but sometimes they can be a trial. And you're right, @shanaber... it was a probably best that she got free. I need to work on my own reactivity, not to mention theirs. ;)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Wow! I just got emails from FinishersPix for downloads of pictures I ordered. I was pretty sure I hadn't ordered any pictures but it ends up we get ALL the pictures for FREE, well part of our HM registration! They even provided a select few in 'Social Media resolution'. How cool is that!?!

Excellent! I just saw photos from my race this past weekend. Not all are tagged yet, but I can buy 1 download for $34.95 or downloads for all my photos for $99.99. That is the highest price I have seen for race photos yet!
  • shanaber
    Options
    @midwesterner85 those prices for race photos are terrible! Why even bother offering them at all. I can't imagine anyone paying those prices unless maybe you set a record or won the race but then they would likely provide a photo anyways. I have never seen more then $10-15 for an individual picture and then graduated pricing depending on how many you wanted in a package.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @midwesterner85 those prices for race photos are terrible! Why even bother offering them at all. I can't imagine anyone paying those prices unless maybe you set a record or won the race but then they would likely provide a photo anyways. I have never seen more then $10-15 for an individual picture and then graduated pricing depending on how many you wanted in a package.

$25 per picture or $100 for all of them for my last race. That is just for the digital download. Prints are way more. Definitely not worth it this year, though I did for my first marathon.
  • Elise4270
    edited May 2019
    Options
    tess453 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Stumbled across this today and will join late if that's ok!

I completed a sprint tri a few weeks ago and have sat on my *kitten* for 2 weeks eating cake ever since. So in a bid to not let my training go to waste and kick a few pounds before a wedding in June, yesterday I decided to start 30 days of running! 30 days, 30 runs, any distance.

Has anyone done this and got any tips?

Here's my totals so far:

5/11- 3.1 miles
    5/12 - 3.53 miles

Total: 6.63 miles

Skip the wedding. Marriage is overrated. 😧🤭😀

Ok for reals. We do engage in food talk here (mostly pizza and pie), and we’ll gladly support your goal. We do have a side thread that is dedicated to helping us stay ion track with our personal food goals. You are welcome to join us there too. (I’ll come back to add the link). No particular rules, just a way to find support and lean on one another.

Did you or anyone request to join the Strava group? I declined it. Trying to keep the group honestly mfp runners. If so, send another request, might post here that you requested to join so I don’t feel all grumpy about letting just anyone in.

@ Eddie_Ice welcome to the group! Best of luck attaining that sub 2 hm goal, I have the same goal.

Wish me luck all, I’m off to the pool (Y and weights sans right leg). Like I mentioned, I’m feeling especially grumpy today. Dh took me to lunch, i don’t like people. Today is a bad people day. So many people. And they dress wieerd.

Haha it's not my wedding, I agree overrated! It's a friend's 😊

Ohh, trying to look hotter than the bride, I see. Hahaha! I’m kidding (injured runner with nothing to do but give real runners a hard time).

ETA. I sent you a follow request. If you accept that, I can invite you to the mfp group. Just in case it won’t let you ask to join again. Where’s @garygse? He usually gets to these before I do. All your fault Gary. You loving this heat yet?
    ——————————————
    Y’all. I’m changing my diet. Well dog gone, I bet @tess453 got this started in my head. (Resend that Strava request. Or I’ll try to invite you). Anyone doing more plants? Think I’m gonna kick most/all of the animal products to the curb. I did have lots of cheese today, but now that all the baby Swiss is gone.... It’ll be hard here, we live in the fast food capital of Oklahoma. Anyone have recipes to share? I still can’t do soy and as much as I love tabouleh, it doesn’t love me. @PastorVincent I’m wondering if eliminating animal products will change my intolerance for FODMAP’s. Any thoughts?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Hi all,

I completed a sprint tri a few weeks ago and have sat on my *kitten* for 2 weeks eating cake ever since. So in a bid to not let my training go to waste and kick a few pounds before a wedding in June, yesterday I decided to start 30 days of running! 30 days, 30 runs, any distance.

Here's my totals so far:

5/11- 3.1 miles
    5/12 - 3.53 miles

Ok for reals. We do engage in food talk here (mostly pizza and pie), and we’ll gladly support your goal. We do have a side thread that is dedicated to helping us stay ion track with our personal food goals. You are welcome to join us there too. (I’ll come back to add the link). No particular rules, just a way to find support and lean on one another.

Did you or anyone request to join the Strava group? I declined it. Trying to keep the group honestly mfp runners. If so, send another request, might post here that you requested to join so I don’t feel all grumpy about letting just anyone in.

@Eddie_Ice welcome to the group! Best of luck attaining that sub 2 hm goal, I have the same goal.

Wish me luck all, I’m off to the pool (Y and weights sans right leg). Like I mentioned, I’m feeling especially grumpy today. Dh took me to lunch, i don’t like people. Today is a bad people day. So many people. And they dress wieerd.

Ohh, trying to look hotter than the bride, I see. Hahaha! I’m kidding (injured runner with nothing to do but give real runners a hard time).

——————————————
    Y’all. I’m changing my diet. Well dog gone, I bet @tess453 got this started in my head. (Resend that Strava request. Or I’ll try to invite you). Anyone doing more plants? Think I’m gonna kick most/all of the animal products to the curb. I did have lots of cheese today, but now that all the baby Swiss is gone.... It’ll be hard here, we live in the fast food capital of Oklahoma. Anyone have recipes to share? I still can’t do soy and as much as I love tabouleh, it doesn’t love me. @PastorVincent I’m wondering if eliminating animal products will change my intolerance for FODMAP’s. Any thoughts?

I do not know, but I doubt it. The reason you can not tolerate FODMAP, or at least what they THINK is the reason, is a lack of the proper gut bacteria to handle them. So I do not see how going vegan/vegetarian would impact that. Most of the FODMAP stuff is in PLANTS after all.

I do not know, I am just guessing based on reading up on various web sites and really it seems like all this FODMAP is still very new so as with all new science it could change drastically in the next few years.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Hi all,

Here's my totals so far:

5/11- 3.1 miles
    5/12 - 3.53 miles

@Eddie_Ice welcome to the group! Best of luck attaining that sub 2 hm goal, I have the same goal.

——————————————

I do not know, but I doubt it. The reason you can not tolerate FODMAP, or at least what they THINK is the reason, is a lack of the proper gut bacteria to handle them. So I do not see how going vegan/vegetarian would impact that. Most of the FODMAP stuff is in PLANTS after all.

I do not know, I am just guessing based on reading up on various web sites and really it seems like all this FODMAP is still very new so as with all new science it could change drastically in the next few years.

Oooooo! So YES! you can change your microbiota with food! Ohh I’m excited. I’ll probably never be able to do the soy, seems to be a protein thing, but the other foods I’m looking forward too!

Google poo transplants. If ya want...