May 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,986 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Thanks for sharing that story! That is just so awesome!

Awesome picture @mbaker566!

I wonder if KT tape would be helpful for my ankle tendon issue. Mine is the tendon along the front, not the Achilles. I may have to look into it.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - I am not a momma, but if I was, I would want that to be my mother's day present. Oh yeah, and thanks for making me cry so early in the morning with that Pittsburgh marathon story.

You are welcome. I am just here to help out where I can. :)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Achilles’ tendon still sucks. Walked 6.5 miles and ran several intervals totalling maybe a mile... and my ankle is letting me know that little bit of running was too much.

I saw my regular doctor for a1c and thyroid check yesterday and took the opportunity to consult her about my ankle, and she was of the opinion that an ortho probably wouldn’t be able to offer much that I’m not already doing. It’s obvious there’s no major tear and as far as microtears I would just be told to ease off for a while. She did warn me that Achilles’ tendons take forever to rehab, which I was already noticing. Her prescription was to run as long as it seems to be getting better, and stop if it seems to be getting worse.

I really want to run again. Soon. Even the tiny bit of running I did today made my glucose control so much better for my evening meal.

We crossed the bridge where we saw three snakes last week, only saw two snakes. Then we saw a Cooper’s hawk, and a pair of great blue herons. Just beautiful.

Have you tried taping the Achilles? When I had issues with mine, KT Tape got me through it and I eventually could run pain free.

Thank you, I have been taping it, and it does seem to help some, but not enough.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @mbaker566 Sorry to hear about the breakup. The pictures from the run are awesome though and the dogs look really happy.

This. :(

Ditto.

ETA: Holy cow @amymoreorless ! ABSO-FRICKIN-LUTELY AWESOME!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    heh, I look like I am flying!

ss3mankb0uqg.png

That was form the day before the Marathon. Pace as like 13somthing. Not exactly flying :)

I love this picture. You look like a proud hubby! Sorry to hear about Mrs. Pastorvincent's leg. I hope it doesn't keep her sidelined. But I'm sure she will still be supporting you even if that is the case.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    @shanaber My husband just scrunches his sleeves down around his wrists instead of taking them off completely, and it’s fine unless it’s very hot.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options

ss3mankb0uqg.png

That was form the day before the Marathon. Pace as like 13somthing. Not exactly flying :)

This is a complete guess and probably way off... but looking at that picture, I wonder if Mrs.PastorVincent does the same thing I've caught myself doing. There's something about my posture, like a certain way I'll kind of lean on one side of my hips, and I know it's bad but I especially catch it when I'm standing (like in the kitchen). Anyway I had race pictures where the photographer took multiple shots and I realized I looked great when landing on one foot, but awful and awkward when landing on the other foot. I eventually realized I wasn't keeping my hips straight when running and began to wonder if one side being slightly lower all the time was aggravating my quad injury. On one particular long run, I consciously kept my hips straight and even felt like I was turning one leg out (but looking down it was actually straight instead of my default gait). What a difference it made! My quad hasn't threatened me since making that adjustment, and now I can consciously switch between the bad running posture, and better posture. Still working on it.

Does anyone else do this? Apparently it's common among women, and I've known for years I did it while standing, but only recently caught it in my running.

@shanaber If it doesn't warm up I'm planning to wear sleeves on Sunday, and will put the strap of my water belt through them if I need to take them off, to make sure I don't lose them. But you could stuff them down the side of your running tights too, or tie them around a tank-top shoulder...

I really need to get some sleep.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

ss3mankb0uqg.png

This is a complete guess and probably way off... but looking at that picture, I wonder if Mrs.PastorVincent does the same thing I've caught myself doing. There's something about my posture, like a certain way I'll kind of lean on one side of my hips, and I know it's bad but I especially catch it when I'm standing (like in the kitchen). Anyway I had race pictures where the photographer took multiple shots and I realized I looked great when landing on one foot, but awful and awkward when landing on the other foot. I eventually realized I wasn't keeping my hips straight when running and began to wonder if one side being slightly lower all the time was aggravating my quad injury. On one particular long run, I consciously kept my hips straight and even felt like I was turning one leg out (but looking down it was actually straight instead of my default gait). What a difference it made! My quad hasn't threatened me since making that adjustment, and now I can consciously switch between the bad running posture, and better posture. Still working on it.

Does anyone else do this? Apparently it's common among women, and I've known for years I did it while standing, but only recently caught it in my running.

@shanaber If it doesn't warm up I'm planning to wear sleeves on Sunday, and will put the strap of my water belt through them if I need to take them off, to make sure I don't lose them. But you could stuff them down the side of your running tights too, or tie them around a tank-top shoulder...

@polskagirl01 here are lots more pictures- what do you think: https://www.marathonfoto.com/Proofs?PIN=0TME14&LastName=TRIGILI
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    8.65 miles tonight, and the rain subsided... it was a good run. Unfortunately, it looks like the marathon on Sat. may have rain. :(

exercise.png
  • rheddmobile
    edited May 2019
    Options

ss3mankb0uqg.png

@polskagirl01 here are lots more pictures- what do you think: https://www.marathonfoto.com/Proofs?PIN=0TME14&LastName=TRIGILI

Such a big smile!

I do the same thing and for me the “tell” is looking at my shoulders, the same shoulder is always dropped regardless of which foot is leading. I believe I started doing it to favor my bad knee, and it has led to all kinds of trouble with the opposite hamstring. Single foot balance and straightness exercises helped a lot.

I tried to find a place at the same point in the stride on opposite feet and flip it, then compare. Part of this is the angle the photographer is shooting from but it does look like there’s a torso twist going on. In one photo she is leaning onto her leading foot, the other she is leaning away from it.
    zybjoqsaofi6.jpeg

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,988 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @Tramboman Glad your back is doing better.

@mbaker566 That's a great photo. It is too bad they charge so much. You would think they would actually make more money if they charged less because more people would buy them.

@kgirlhart Sounds like a nice morning - if I were a morning person. ;)

@eleanorhawkins Good luck with your "grateful" face. Maybe drop better hints next year. LOL

@PastorVincent I hope there isn't anything seriously wrong with Kristi's leg and it heals quickly. Also hope maybe you can get an earlier appointment. There is a walk-in orthopedic clinic in a town near here that I went to when I tore my calf muscle. Have you checked to see if there is anything like that in your area? (BTW, I love the big smile she has in all of the pictures. I'd probably be dying, not smiling. LOL)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent I hope there isn't anything seriously wrong with Kristi's leg and it heals quickly. Also hope maybe you can get an earlier appointment. There is a walk-in orthopedic clinic in a town near here that I went to when I tore my calf muscle. Have you checked to see if there is anything like that in your area? (BTW, I love the big smile she has in all of the pictures. I'd probably be dying, not smiling. LOL)

We called her doctor back and left a message asking if there was another option. Waiting to hear now. I am sure there is, we are in a largish city.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @martaindale - how old is your daughter? Mine started swimming (club) when she was 5 and swam all thru HS and into college. It was great for her but I don't miss those weekend all day swim meets where we waited all day for her to swim a few times.

She's 10. We did club swim for a couple of years but she really didn't like it. It's a little intense in our area. She found rock climbing so now she does swimming once a week and only competes with our neighborhood summer league. It's a great sport, but ultimately not the best fit for her as a competitive thing. It's awesome your daughter stuck with it that long!
    And, swim meets totally suck. I can deal for a couple of months, but I don't miss the year round swim meets!!