May 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I do the out and back method of running, so run half the planned distance, turn around and run back. and fortunately on my current path I have several turn around points, so like this morning I planned on 5k, but when I got to my turn around point my legs kept going to the 6k turn around point, no idea how that happened. so I did 6k this morning. As others have said, once I'm that far, no way I'm walking home, too boring for that!

Was looking at the information for my July HM, and it turns out they are really really strict on the No Earphones rules (seriously? why!!). So what do you do when you cant wear earphones? Is this a common thing? I'm guessing its because the run is happening on rural roads with high speed limits. but most of us are sensible to have our volume turned down. Do I just need to embrace the suck and do a few runs without music? I hate listening to myself breathe lol. Or should I be *that* runner who plays music on my phone...

Oh and slightly amusing story, there is a guy who always runs the same route as me, but in the opposite direction, so we often cross paths. he never talks, never says hi to me, smiles, nods or anything. its like I'm not there. Ok dude, that's fine, happy being like that. Though he always says hi to my neighbour who is often sitting on his deck in the morning in summer. Well this morning I pass him just as I was about to turn, so I ended up following him for a bit then passing him! I was really self conscious about this, I made a point of sticking to my usual pace, and I left him in the dust. Its awkward seeing someone running every day and they never say hi so passing him like that was just weird.

As a non-music running runner I will say, embrace the silence. I love listening to nature, my feet, my breathing - keeps me in tune with how I'm running. Also, who says you need to train without music? You'll be fine on race day. Please don't be that runner who has music playing out loud (think about those around you who prefer to run without music and who are your speed who have to listen to it for two hours (I have similar rules about those who run with spare change or keys in their pockets that jingle - and the noise is the main reason I don't run with jellybeans!)).

Also, don't be the person who ignores the rules. At my half on Saturday I had to actually push a woman out of the way as she couldn't hear me behind her (either running or saying then shouting 'coming through') because she had earbuds in (running down a row of grapes, there were two runners in front of her side by side in the tractor wheel marks, and she was directly behind them but dead centre, causing a total block of the row). She didn't appreciate the push, I didn't appreciate the four seconds she cost me (remembering I was only sub 1:50 by eight seconds).

Rant over. Do as you please, but please be considerate!

I completely agree with all the above points. And acually would never consider actually running with music playing, I think that is the height of rudeness. I will just embrace it on the day and enjoy the course.
    Oh and people who run in the middle, GRRRRRRRRRRRR I dont blame you for pushing, thats just breaking the code.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Avidkeo RE: unfriendly runner guy

Now there’s a woman that ran when I did and I’d always nod or wave and about half the time or less I’d get a nod back. Thought sheesh, am I that off putting? Then I was out for a run and came up on a fellow from church, we walked and chatted and then this same woman came along.... his daughter. She chatted willingly, but she apologized said that she is not a social person. She works with people all day, kids and the parents of those kiddos. No worries, right? I totally get the “leave me be”.

So don’t worry about stuck up runner guy. He’s probably in the zone. Or an a hole you don’t wanna say hi to anyway. Haha!

yeah after the second time I nodded to him, and I never got a response, I figured he's just one of those people. And actually atm its so dark when we pass each other, its NBD anyway. I think I'm just such a social person it feels weird to see someone almost every single day for almost a year and never acknowledge their existence in some way. Especially here where the eyebrow lift greeting (complete with head jerk) is so normal its almost offensive to not do it.
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Re: running without headphones.. I’d been training with music for long runs but since headphones were discouraged for my HM I didn’t use them. It was fine, and didn’t make a difference, I don’t think, that I hadn’t trained for long runs without music.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Date...........Run.......Walk
    05/01........00M.......2.5M *tapering*
    05/02........00M.......4.0M *tapering*
    05/03........00M.......0.0M *tapering*
    05/04........03M.......0.0M Pittsburgh 5k
    05/05........26M.......0.0M Pittsburgh Marathon
    05/06........00M.......0.0M *tapering*
    05/07........07M.......0.0M *tapering*
    05/08........09M.......0.0M
    05/09........06M.......0.0M
    05/10........09M.......4.0M
    05/11........10M.......0.0M
    05/12........10M.......0.0M
    05/13........00M.......3.3M
    05/14........00M.......3.5M
    05/15........14M.......4.0M

---MTD: 21.3 miles walking, 85.3 miles running, and 0KM resting

Upcoming Races
    Hell Have No Hurry 50k Trail Race - June 2019
    Howl at the Moon - Nighttime 5k - August 2019
    <plus some others that I can not recall>

202? - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Hell Have No Hurry
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I always run with headphones. They are not always on (well almost always when I am running alone, but I often have them on and just calling pace in a big race), but there are in place to call outpace regardless. I am thinking about getting the Trekz headphones that do not go in your ear at all but use bone conducting. I tired them at the Expo this year and they actually work very well. You can both clearly hear and still have full awareness of noises around you.

These:
    https://aftershokz.com/products/trekz-titanium

Just do not have the cash right now.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I always run with headphones. They are not always on (well almost always when I am running alone, but I often have them on and just calling pace in a big race), but there are in place to call outpace regardless. I am thinking about getting the Trekz headphones that do not go in your ear at all but use bone conducting. I tired them at the Expo this year and they actually work very well. You can both clearly hear and still have full awareness of noises around you.

These:

I have the ear buds... er yurbuds... I have two pair. One hangs over your ear and lets you hear your surroundings the other are sweet and eliminates surrounding noise. St Jude’s sent them to me for a fancy donation. I can’t run with anything in my ears for very long. Both pair make my ears sore. So, I figure I’m just not meant to run with them. I get distracted anyway and try to dance or wanna fight, depends on what I’m listening too.

They have those Bluetooth ones now. I bet you could use one at an event and it not be a blatant violation or even noticed. Guys at work use one like that. And there are supposed to be some specifically for sports.

ETA I think @garygse tried some out and didn’t like them. I can’t remember specifically why. I do like the concept though.
    And
    I think I wanna pair now...
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    6 km Wednesday Club Run. The group was doing 5km but I made a detour to add in another km.
    One of the young ladies who joined us in November has had a real break out this spring.
    Last fall she was 7:30/km and could only do 4km using the Galloway 2k run - 200m walk - 2k run.
    She still does the walk-run but 2k run 100m walk and can knock off 15km on consecutive days with out crashing.
    Some days she does whine but still push's through, we joke that she is our Drama Queen and then she goes into a full on Drama Show for us - until she breaks out in the giggles. Tonight being a short run ( the group she was in did 5km ) she dropped the hammer (5:22/km) and just slowly pulled away from us - even going up hill so we actually were all cheering her on ( inside voice ). We keep telling her she should join one of the other mini-groups in our club as she is now faster than our little group. Also she lost a Toe Nail last week so is Officially a Bad@$$ Runner now.

We also had 2 young ladies doing their University Summer Practicum who have joined in so the one lady who has been here for 5 years finally has some company in her age demographic who also happen to be darn good athletes - they ripped off a 4:30/km for 15 km tonight. Ah the speed of youth.

exercise.png

05/01 22.00 km - 22.00km -118.00km - YTD 301.90km
    05/04 10.00 km - 32.00km -108.00km - YTD 311.90km
    05/08 5.00 km - 37.00km -103.00km - YTD 316.90km
    05/11 12.00 km - 49.00km -091.00km - YTD 328.90km
    05/12 7.50 km - 56.50km - 83.50km - YTD 336.40km
    05/13 10.50 km - 67.00km - 73.00km - YTD 346.90km
    05/15 6.00 km - 73.00km - 67.00km - YTD 352.90km
    tess453 wrote: »
    Question for you all..
    How did you build up distance? Particularly when running on your own I.e. non race days

@tess453 What really helped me was joining the Local Running Club. Check FB, local Running Shoe Store, Gym, Sports club etc for a local club. Being runners they understand the phases we all go through as runners so are not judgemental when you have a crash and burn type day. Most clubs have multiple pace groups so you just find the one that fits your speed and let them know you have been struggling building distance. Run slower to run longer and then work on speed after you get past your goal distance.
    Most runners seem to have a natural easy pace where they can burn up km after km without crashing and without a conscious effort , find that pace. If I let myself float along after a while I drop into a 6:10-6:25/km pace that I can hold for hours. It's when I push the pace down below 5:45/km that I can burn out in a hurry.
    Also you could take a program like Hal Higdon 10km race training where it slowly builds up the distance - having a program/schedule works for some people.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Question for the group:
    What running magazine(s) do you subscribe to or read?

I used to have Runner's World but I don't like the changes they have made and that I can't access online articles any longer without a different, separate 'online subscription'.

Like @Scott6255 and @PastorVincent I just read them on-line. When I buy a magazine I usually forget about it and then find it when I'm doing an office purge. My favorites Trail Runner and Canadian Running plus an honourable mention to MEC
  • tess453
    tess453 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    6 km Wednesday Club Run. The group was doing 5km but I made a detour to add in another km.
    One of the young ladies who joined us in November has had a real break out this spring.
    Last fall she was 7:30/km and could only do 4km using the Galloway 2k run - 200m walk - 2k run.
    She still does the walk-run but 2k run 100m walk and can knock off 15km on consecutive days with out crashing.
    Some days she does whine but still push's through, we joke that she is our Drama Queen and then she goes into a full on Drama Show for us - until she breaks out in the giggles. Tonight being a short run ( the group she was in did 5km ) she dropped the hammer (5:22/km) and just slowly pulled away from us - even going up hill so we actually were all cheering her on ( inside voice ). We keep telling her she should join one of the other mini-groups in our club as she is now faster than our little group. Also she lost a Toe Nail last week so is Officially a Bad@$$ Runner now.

We also had 2 young ladies doing their University Summer Practicum who have joined in so the one lady who has been here for 5 years finally has some company in her age demographic who also happen to be darn good athletes - they ripped off a 4:30/km for 15 km tonight. Ah the speed of youth.

exercise.png

05/01 22.00 km - 22.00km -118.00km - YTD 301.90km
    05/04 10.00 km - 32.00km -108.00km - YTD 311.90km
    05/08 5.00 km - 37.00km -103.00km - YTD 316.90km
    05/11 12.00 km - 49.00km -091.00km - YTD 328.90km
    05/12 7.50 km - 56.50km - 83.50km - YTD 336.40km
    05/13 10.50 km - 67.00km - 73.00km - YTD 346.90km
    05/15 6.00 km - 73.00km - 67.00km - YTD 352.90km
    tess453 wrote: »
    Question for you all..
    How did you build up distance? Particularly when running on your own I.e. non race days

@tess453 What really helped me was joining the Local Running Club. Check FB, local Running Shoe Store, Gym, Sports club etc for a local club. Being runners they understand the phases we all go through as runners so are not judgemental when you have a crash and burn type day. Most clubs have multiple pace groups so you just find the one that fits your speed and let them know you have been struggling building distance. Run slower to run longer and then work on speed after you get past your goal distance.
    Most runners seem to have a natural easy pace where they can burn up km after km without crashing and without a conscious effort , find that pace. If I let myself float along after a while I drop into a 6:10-6:25/km pace that I can hold for hours. It's when I push the pace down below 5:45/km that I can burn out in a hurry.
    Also you could take a program like Hal Higdon 10km race training where it slowly builds up the distance - having a program/schedule works for some people.

I have been with a running club before but then I started agility with the dog and the times clashed. It was good initially but as it's close to home they run the same routes so was starting to get boring. But I'd be willing to drive so maybe need to find another group elsewhere to freshen things up. My old sub group would often tell me we were going out for 5km but slip in some extra!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

These:

I have the ear buds... er yurbuds... I have two pair. One hangs over your ear and lets you hear your surroundings the other are sweet and eliminates surrounding noise. St Jude’s sent them to me for a fancy donation. I can’t run with anything in my ears for very long. Both pair make my ears sore. So, I figure I’m just not meant to run with them. I get distracted anyway and try to dance or wanna fight, depends on what I’m listening too.

They have those Bluetooth ones now. I bet you could use one at an event and it not be a blatant violation or even noticed. Guys at work use one like that. And there are supposed to be some specifically for sports.

ETA I think @garygse tried some out and didn’t like them. I can’t remember specifically why. I do like the concept though.
    And
    I think I wanna pair now...

"Yurbuds" is not at all what I was talking about :) Look at the link, these do not go in or over the ear at all. They are bone conducting and leave your ear completely 100% unobstructed.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Interesting study. Personally, I find the dreadmill WAY harder than outside.

Is Running on a Treadmill Harder or Easier Than Running Outside?
    New research debunks some persistent ’mill myths.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/training/a26859968/treadmill-versus-overground-running-study/
  • Eddie_Ice
    Eddie_Ice Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Interesting study. Personally, I find the dreadmill WAY harder than outside.

Is Running on a Treadmill Harder or Easier Than Running Outside?
    New research debunks some persistent ’mill myths.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/training/a26859968/treadmill-versus-overground-running-study/

That is interesting, I hate a treadmill run. I tried it not too long ago much slower than I would run outside and was gassed so quickly I ended up just hopping off and finishing the run outdoors.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm in for the same goals as last month:

Goal # 1 - 100 miles
    Goal # 2 - 110 miles

I have the following races this month:
    Wisconsin Half Marathon on May 4
    Twilight 10K May 25
    Run Madtown Half May 26

May 1 - 3 miles
    May 2 - 3 miles

6 miles total for May

Miles until Goal # 1 - 94 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 104 miles

May 4 - 13.1 miles

19.1 miles for May

Miles until Goal # 1 - 80.90 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 90.90 miles

Ran Wisconsin Half Marathon yesterday and PR'd by over 2 minutes. Two HUGE PR's for me in 2 weeks. Old time was 2:04:02 and time yesterday was 2:01:53. And considering before April 20, I hadn't PR'd anything in 4 years. THIS IS MY YEAR!!!

Thank you to everyone who passed along congrats! I really feel great off that PR.

May 6 - 5.13 miles

24.23 miles for May

Miles until Goal # 1 - 75.77 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 85.77 miles

May 8 - 3.22 miles

27.45 miles for May

Miles until Goal # 1 - 72.55 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 82.55 miles

Well, I did a thing this week. I signed up officially for Marathon #3 this fall (September 22 to be exact). Oops.

May 9 - 5 miles

32.45 miles for May

Miles until Goal # 1 - 67.55 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 77.55 miles

May 10 - 6 miles

38.45 miles for May

Miles until Goal # 1 - 61.55 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 71.55 miles

May 12 - 1 stupid mile

I did Tabata on Saturday and that just about killed me. I haven't taken a ton of time off since the half last week, so it finally caught up to me.

39.45 miles for May
    Miles until Goal # 1 - 60.55 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 70.55 miles

Felt like myself today...
    May 14- 6 miles

45.45 miles for May

Miles until Goal # 1 - 54.55 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 64.55 miles

At this rate, I'll barely get 100 miles this month. It's like I PR'd my half and lost a bunch of motivation. UGH.

May 15 - 3.34 miles of speedwork

48.79 miles for May

Miles until Goal # 1 - 51.21 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 61.21 miles