May 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Wow! I just got emails from FinishersPix for downloads of pictures I ordered. I was pretty sure I hadn't ordered any pictures but it ends up we get ALL the pictures for FREE, well part of our HM registration! They even provided a select few in 'Social Media resolution'. How cool is that!?!

Excellent! I just saw photos from my race this past weekend. Not all are tagged yet, but I can buy 1 download for $34.95 or downloads for all my photos for $99.99. That is the highest price I have seen for race photos yet!

We have two main companies that photograph events here, one charges exorbitant prices ($16 per photo but the low res proof with watermark means you can’t tell if they’re any good before you pay), while the other crowd does ‘pay what it’s worth’ and you could pay 5 cents if you wanted (their default is $10). I only ever buy from PWIW, and usually get everything and pay $25 (realistically, I only want one, but I want the best one).

From a business perspective, they’d certainly sell a lot more photos with PWIW, even though the price per photo is lower, and considering most of the expense is incurred whether they sell them or not, it’s probably a better model.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    tess453 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Stumbled across this today and will join late if that's ok!

I completed a sprint tri a few weeks ago and have sat on my *kitten* for 2 weeks eating cake ever since. So in a bid to not let my training go to waste and kick a few pounds before a wedding in June, yesterday I decided to start 30 days of running! 30 days, 30 runs, any distance.

Has anyone done this and got any tips?

Here's my totals so far:

5/11- 3.1 miles
    5/12 - 3.53 miles

Total: 6.63 miles

Skip the wedding. Marriage is overrated. 😧🤭😀

Ok for reals. We do engage in food talk here (mostly pizza and pie), and we’ll gladly support your goal. We do have a side thread that is dedicated to helping us stay ion track with our personal food goals. You are welcome to join us there too. (I’ll come back to add the link). No particular rules, just a way to find support and lean on one another.

Did you or anyone request to join the Strava group? I declined it. Trying to keep the group honestly mfp runners. If so, send another request, might post here that you requested to join so I don’t feel all grumpy about letting just anyone in.

@Eddie_Ice welcome to the group! Best of luck attaining that sub 2 hm goal, I have the same goal.

Wish me luck all, I’m off to the pool (Y and weights sans right leg). Like I mentioned, I’m feeling especially grumpy today. Dh took me to lunch, i don’t like people. Today is a bad people day. So many people. And they dress wieerd.

Haha it's not my wedding, I agree overrated! It's a friend's 😊

Ohh, trying to look hotter than the bride, I see. Hahaha! I’m kidding (injured runner with nothing to do but give real runners a hard time).

——————————————
    Y’all. I’m changing my diet. Well dog gone, I bet @tess453 got this started in my head. (Resend that Strava request. Or I’ll try to invite you). Anyone doing more plants? Think I’m gonna kick most/all of the animal products to the curb. I did have lots of cheese today, but now that all the baby Swiss is gone.... It’ll be hard here, we live in the fast food capital of Oklahoma. Anyone have recipes to share? I still can’t do soy and as much as I love tabouleh, it doesn’t love me. @PastorVincent I’m wondering if eliminating animal products will change my intolerance for FODMAP’s. Any thoughts?

I do not know, but I doubt it. The reason you can not tolerate FODMAP, or at least what they THINK is the reason, is a lack of the proper gut bacteria to handle them. So I do not see how going vegan/vegetarian would impact that. Most of the FODMAP stuff is in PLANTS after all.

I do not know, I am just guessing based on reading up on various web sites and really it seems like all this FODMAP is still very new so as with all new science it could change drastically in the next few years.

Oooooo! So YES! you can change your microbiota with food! Ohh I’m excited. I’ll probably never be able to do the soy, seems to be a protein thing, but the other foods I’m looking forward too!

Google poo transplants. If ya want...

Poo is at the wrong end of the intestine track for this issue.

They have been experimenting with various means of addressing this, and "poo transplants" was one way. So far they have not found anything that worked well, but like I said this is all very very new so nothing is definite yet. Medical testing and trials take a long time. Some people do report taking enzymes with the food helps reduce symptoms, but others say it id not help at all. *shrugs*
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I completed a sprint tri a few weeks ago and have sat on my *kitten* for 2 weeks eating cake ever since. So in a bid to not let my training go to waste and kick a few pounds before a wedding in June, yesterday I decided to start 30 days of running! 30 days, 30 runs, any distance.

Here's my totals so far:

5/11- 3.1 miles
    5/12 - 3.53 miles

Ok for reals. We do engage in food talk here (mostly pizza and pie), and we’ll gladly support your goal. We do have a side thread that is dedicated to helping us stay ion track with our personal food goals. You are welcome to join us there too. (I’ll come back to add the link). No particular rules, just a way to find support and lean on one another.

Did you or anyone request to join the Strava group? I declined it. Trying to keep the group honestly mfp runners. If so, send another request, might post here that you requested to join so I don’t feel all grumpy about letting just anyone in.

@Eddie_Ice welcome to the group! Best of luck attaining that sub 2 hm goal, I have the same goal.

Wish me luck all, I’m off to the pool (Y and weights sans right leg). Like I mentioned, I’m feeling especially grumpy today. Dh took me to lunch, i don’t like people. Today is a bad people day. So many people. And they dress wieerd.

Ohh, trying to look hotter than the bride, I see. Hahaha! I’m kidding (injured runner with nothing to do but give real runners a hard time).

——————————————
    Y’all. I’m changing my diet. Well dog gone, I bet @tess453 got this started in my head. (Resend that Strava request. Or I’ll try to invite you). Anyone doing more plants? Think I’m gonna kick most/all of the animal products to the curb. I did have lots of cheese today, but now that all the baby Swiss is gone.... It’ll be hard here, we live in the fast food capital of Oklahoma. Anyone have recipes to share? I still can’t do soy and as much as I love tabouleh, it doesn’t love me. @PastorVincent I’m wondering if eliminating animal products will change my intolerance for FODMAP’s. Any thoughts?

I do not know, but I doubt it. The reason you can not tolerate FODMAP, or at least what they THINK is the reason, is a lack of the proper gut bacteria to handle them. So I do not see how going vegan/vegetarian would impact that. Most of the FODMAP stuff is in PLANTS after all.

I do not know, I am just guessing based on reading up on various web sites and really it seems like all this FODMAP is still very new so as with all new science it could change drastically in the next few years.

Oooooo! So YES! you can change your microbiota with food! Ohh I’m excited. I’ll probably never be able to do the soy, seems to be a protein thing, but the other foods I’m looking forward too!

They have been experimenting with various means of addressing this, and "poo transplants" was one way. So far they have not found anything that worked well, but like I said this is all very very new so nothing is definite yet. Medical testing and trials take a long time. Some people do report taking enzymes with the food helps reduce symptoms, but others say it id not help at all. *shrugs*

Well it’s all connected. Limiting refined foods and adding fruits, veggies and beans can change the gut bacteria. I’d recommend a good probiotic and perhaps some kombucha or other such fermented foods, kraut, pickles, miso, etc.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Hi all,

Here's my totals so far:

5/11- 3.1 miles
    5/12 - 3.53 miles

——————————————

Well it’s all connected. Limiting refined foods and adding fruits, veggies and beans can change the gut bacteria. I’d recommend a good probiotic and perhaps some kombucha or other such fermented foods, kraut, pickles, miso, etc.

Pickles are out, they normally have garlic in them, IME. Garlic is a major issue with FODMAP, one of the worst offenders for fructans (the O in FODMAP) there is. Dunno about the rest of those foods you list... but I see no reason to suggest you do not try it. I would suggest you get your system in balance first by avoiding the fructans and etc, then experiment. You might find something that works for you.

This, of course, is assuming that the early research suggesting the FODMAP issues are gut bacteria related is correct but it is the best understanding we have currently and it sounds logical to my non-doctor self. :)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    05/01/19 :::: 4.0 :::: 4.0
    05/02/19 :::: 3.5 :::: 7.5
    05/03/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 7.5
    05/04/19 :::: 2.1 :::: 9.6
    05/05/19 :::: 10.2 :::: 19.8
    05/06/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 22.9
    05/07/19 :::: 1.1 :::: 24.0
    05/08/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 24.0
    05/09/19 :::: 2.8 :::: 26.8
    05/10/19 :::: 3.3 :::: 30.1
    05/11/19 :::: 3.1 :::: 33.2
    05/12/19 :::: 8.0 :::: 41.2
    05/13/19 :::: 4.0 :::: 45.1

It continues to be rainy and miserable here. I managed to take the dog out this morning in a bit of a break where it was only lightly raining for part of it. But then it has been raining solidly since then and the temps are sticking in the low 40s F. So I was definitely not excited to go to run group tonight. But I also did not want to skip or go to the gym and run on the treadmill, so I did. The workout was 5-6-4 minute intervals with 90 seconds rest between. Then 4 sprints/strides. With the warmup and cooldown it was 3.95 miles for me. We were all soaked to the bone and ready to get out of there.

Tomorrow looks much the same and I am officially completely over it. Whoever lives where it's warm and sunny - I'm coming over.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic 84F and mostly sunny here tomorrow. It's been wet, so I expect it'll be humid. Skeeters are horrible too. I bet it's nice in Hawaii.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    4.7 miles tonight. Very slow as I'm still recovering from Sat. marathon. I also still have some residual issues with the blister between my big toe and 2nd toe on my right foot. I popped it Sat. night and currently have not yet re-grown the skin, so it's pretty sore when running. It also screws up my gait, so I cut short tonight from planned 9 miles and hope to heal quickly.

exercise.png
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    @shanaber that medal looks like you could use as a weapon if need be! :smiley: Well done!
    @noblsheep Great job! I hope you had some truly wonderful carbs :)

/\/\This
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic - beautiful and high 70's here with marine layer clouds and cool in the mornings. We are going to have a day of rain on Thursday and then that will be on its way east for the weekend. We do have extra rooms :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I mean I have heard the expression "leave it all on the track" but this is a new one...

College hurdler goes full "Superman" to win gold medal in close race
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-a-m-hurdler-infinite-tucker-superman-dive-texas-sec-track-and-field-championships
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm in for the same goals as last month:

Goal # 1 - 100 miles
    Goal # 2 - 110 miles

I have the following races this month:
    Wisconsin Half Marathon on May 4
    Twilight 10K May 25
    Run Madtown Half May 26

May 1 - 3 miles
    May 2 - 3 miles

6 miles total for May

Miles until Goal # 1 - 94 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 104 miles

May 4 - 13.1 miles

19.1 miles for May

Miles until Goal # 1 - 80.90 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 90.90 miles

Ran Wisconsin Half Marathon yesterday and PR'd by over 2 minutes. Two HUGE PR's for me in 2 weeks. Old time was 2:04:02 and time yesterday was 2:01:53. And considering before April 20, I hadn't PR'd anything in 4 years. THIS IS MY YEAR!!!

Thank you to everyone who passed along congrats! I really feel great off that PR.

May 6 - 5.13 miles

24.23 miles for May

Miles until Goal # 1 - 75.77 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 85.77 miles

May 8 - 3.22 miles

27.45 miles for May

Miles until Goal # 1 - 72.55 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 82.55 miles

Well, I did a thing this week. I signed up officially for Marathon #3 this fall (September 22 to be exact). Oops.

May 9 - 5 miles

32.45 miles for May

Miles until Goal # 1 - 67.55 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 77.55 miles

May 10 - 6 miles

38.45 miles for May

Miles until Goal # 1 - 61.55 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 71.55 miles

May 12 - 1 stupid mile

I did Tabata on Saturday and that just about killed me. I haven't taken a ton of time off since the half last week, so it finally caught up to me.

39.45 miles for May
    Miles until Goal # 1 - 60.55 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 70.55 miles

Felt like myself today...
    May 14- 6 miles

45.45 miles for May

Miles until Goal # 1 - 54.55 miles
    Miles until Goal # 2 - 64.55 miles
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    @katieJane83 that is amazing that your company supported that search effort. I'm sure it was very emotional and surreal when they found the boy (from your post not clear not sure of his status, but guessing it wasn't great).
    Great that you volunteered to help with the search.