May 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    They decided that the weather was not going to get better. The lightning was too close. There was a tornado warning south of us, and they were worried about a few low lying areas where people could fall so no race for me today. 😪 They are giving us a choice of a refund, or of transferring our registration to next year though. And I won a door prize. A $75 gift card to a nice local restaurant.

Bummer. That’s annoying. Yay for spot prizes though!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Been pretty quiet on here due to some twists and turns in my life. I've had injury to my foot, including being in a soft cast for almost a month, retirement from my job of 25 years, then, in the same week as that, packed up, kissed my mother, brother and sons & moved myself cross country back to my home state. I'm now a full time student, but loving where I am - still shake my head that I am back home!

But due to all this, I''ve struggled to get back to a running routine. I did make a goal for myself before I left Florida to do a 5K today, as it is just down the road from where I am living. Almost didn't want to go, as I haven't been running "like I should" (aka, like I planned, like I wanted). However, I did.

Imagine MY surprise, when after the 1st little bit, the path turned...and I was now doing my 1st ever trail run! So I ended up walking a good portion of it, and thankfully I wore my older running shoes, as it has been raining a lot here. Still, I ended up enjoying it! So different than road running. Kinda tossing about the idea of starting to more of that. So, what basic, beginning tips are there for out of shape, non-elite beginning trail runners?

And my May goal? Run. Nothing more specific, just run.

My number 1 tip: Embrace the mud. Trail running is fun and in many ways it’s less competitive than road running - no two trails are alike. Times are invariably slower and it is perfectly ok to walk the hills (the steep ones especially). Trail shoes make a significant difference in the wet. Enjoy!

Yep. Listen to @ContraryMaryMary she be saying much wisdom!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    May goal: 75 miles

5/1: 5.04 miles
    5/2: 2.19 miles
    5/7: 4.60 miles
    5/8: 4.70 miles
    5/9: 4.55 miles
    5/12: 8.41 miles
    5/14: 3.41 miles
    5/15: 2.51 miles
    5/18: 5.45 miles

40.86/75 miles completed

Today was very disappointing since they cancelled the half marathon that I was going to run in. The weather was just too stormy. There was lightening that was really close and hail and there was lots of flooding too. There were places on the course that were under water. The drive home was pretty nerve racking too, but we made it. I was happy that I won a good door prize. I won a prize last year, but they were running pants and they were too big so I can't really use them. But this one was a $75 gift card to a nice restaurant so we will have to plan a night out soon. Plus they said that we can get a refund, or we can move our registration to next year's race.

The weather was nice when we got home so I decided that since I was already dressed to run I would go ahead and run. I only ran 5.45 miles and not 13.1, but I am planning to do a long run tomorrow since I usually run my long runs on Sunday anyway. The run today was really good. My pace was pretty quick for me. I had to make several detours since there was some flooding here this morning (the race is about 40 miles away). The water has receded and the roads were all drive-able, but there were some places I just didn't want to run through because they were still pretty deep. I had fun hopping the puddles though and landing in a few.

dclw63hk9cuh.jpg

exercise.png

Oh yes, we got the same line of storms. I hadn't realized that you weren't that far from me, relatively. Someday I am going to do the bike ride in Wichita falls.
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    cMm5m8.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    17.63 miles today. I had been using Vespa Jr. for a bit, but recently got some Vespa CV25 for a more potent substance with lower carbs. With Vespa Jr., I found that I didn't have to cut my insulin back when running because I would take 1 per hour (8g carbs per hour, which is a lot for me). So this time with the CV25, I cut basal rate back to 25% an starting 1 hr. before starting. I had 1 Vespa Jr. left and drank it about 40 min. before starting, then drank a CV25 as I began. BG began to rise only after I got started, but ultimately ended up rising all the way to over 300! I stopped the temp. basal when I reached 200 and never did another CV25 (original plan was to take another at 2 hrs.). I was slow from the start and not feeling very strong today anyway. It was raining lightly for most of the time, but then the skies opened up for the last 2 miles and I got out my rain jacket since it was pouring. It was coming down so hard then that I felt like I was in the shower and some areas of the paved trail had turned into creeks with water flowing more so than accumulating (as had been the case on the way out). Overall, it was not a good run, but I did try the CV25 for the first time. Though the 8g from the Vespa Jr. may have interfered some, I now believe I should make no adjustment in insulin even with CV25 even with only 5g carbs.

exercise.png

Never heard of Vespa before. Pulled up their page to read up on it later. Have you been using them for a long time?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    17.63 miles today. I had been using Vespa Jr. for a bit, but recently got some Vespa CV25 for a more potent substance with lower carbs. With Vespa Jr., I found that I didn't have to cut my insulin back when running because I would take 1 per hour (8g carbs per hour, which is a lot for me). So this time with the CV25, I cut basal rate back to 25% an starting 1 hr. before starting. I had 1 Vespa Jr. left and drank it about 40 min. before starting, then drank a CV25 as I began. BG began to rise only after I got started, but ultimately ended up rising all the way to over 300! I stopped the temp. basal when I reached 200 and never did another CV25 (original plan was to take another at 2 hrs.). I was slow from the start and not feeling very strong today anyway. It was raining lightly for most of the time, but then the skies opened up for the last 2 miles and I got out my rain jacket since it was pouring. It was coming down so hard then that I felt like I was in the shower and some areas of the paved trail had turned into creeks with water flowing more so than accumulating (as had been the case on the way out). Overall, it was not a good run, but I did try the CV25 for the first time. Though the 8g from the Vespa Jr. may have interfered some, I now believe I should make no adjustment in insulin even with CV25 even with only 5g carbs.

exercise.png

Never heard of Vespa before. Pulled up their page to read up on it later. Have you been using them for a long time?

No, I just started trying out with the Vespa Jr. last month and am now upgrading to the CV25.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Hey @avidkeo, when do you move south? I'm looking at doing the 3 pigs 2 day marathon near Whangarei in late July - looks like a fun event if you're still around... https://www.facebook.com/events/653621178441498/

For those who are curious but don't want to click the link, it's a 16km run on Saturday morning, 5.1km run on Saturday afternoon, and 21.1km half marathon on Sunday morning. Run all three races to complete a full off-road marathon in three stages over two days.