May 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 w00t! you ran the perfect race and it shows! Well done!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    @shanaber that looks like a really fun race! Great job!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @polskagirl01 w00t! you ran the perfect race and it shows! Well done!

@polskagirl01 What he said! Awesome!
    @shanaber sounds like a good time
    @noblsheep well done!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newbies!

So many great races going on over the weekend!
    @ereck44 - congratulations on your HM!
    @ContraryMaryMary - Congratulations on your wine country HM! 🍷🏃‍♀️
    @midwesterner85 - sounds like a pretty good run until it wasn't but you finished and got it done and learned from it!
    @eleanorhawkins - Awesome job using your husband to keep your pace in check as well as taking on and smashing those 'mean girls'!
    @samthepanda - Fantastic job for your first HM!
    @polskagirl01 - Wow! Congratulations on your marathon and feeling strong all the way thru even while getting a fantastic PR! All of your hard work and training paid off!
    @noblsheep - Congratulations on your HM and coming in under your goal!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @shanaber that medal looks like you could use as a weapon if need be! :smiley: Well done!
    @noblsheep Great job! I hope you had some truly wonderful carbs :)
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @shanaber that medal looks like you could use as a weapon if need be! :smiley: Well done!
    @noblsheep Great job! I hope you had some truly wonderful carbs :)

As usual, @PastorVincent says it better than I ever could. Congratulations to you both on excellent races!!!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    5-1 injury idle
    5-2 rest
    5-3 injury idle
    5-4 injury idle
    5-5 injury idle
    5-6 rest
    5-7 3.5k slow
    5-8 7.5k slow
    5-9 rest
    5-10 7k easy
    5-11 11k slow
    5-12 7k recovery
    5-13 rest

May Total: 36k
    May Goal: 100k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k

Monthly average: 149.875k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen

Scheduled rest day today. Golf instead of running.

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-1 Freedom 5K (Will be off the schedule due to another commitment)
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @shanaber great race! You have been through a lot these last few months with injury, so getting through that HM is a huge accomplishment. Way to go
    @noblsheep awesome job getting under your goal! Congratulations!

8 miles this morning. Such beautiful weather! I know it won't last, but it was glorious (61F, light wind). Slept like crap again last night, so thought I might as well just get up and run.

exercise.png
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @samthepanda Congratulations on finishing your first HM! You did awesome!

@Elise4270 Sorry you are having a grumpy day. If you dislike people, today was NOT the day to go out to eat. I'm sure all the restaurants were crowded. Good luck at the Y. Hope is went well.

@polskagirl01 CONGRATULATIONS!!! Awesome on the PR, beating your stretch goal, and negative splits!!! I can see how this would inspire you to do another one.

@hanlonsk I agree that is a good reason to not run circles near your house. I do out and backs often. I'm usually ok on the way out. Having to get back home is great motivation on the way back. LOL Glad the snake didn't actually reach out and touch you. (BTW, when I read your description before I saw the picture, I thought you were talking about a human guy and was wondering why some random guy would be trying to touch you while you were running.)

Ditto on all of this!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @polska_girl congratulations on your marathon with a PR and negative splits!! That's very impressive and shows how well you've been training. Incredible job!!!

@shanaber congrats on your HM!! Looks like a beautiful race, but that's a long climb in the first 8 miles, especially when your legs were feeling sore. Great job making it through that in less than 3 hours! I can imagine the lines for wine tasting are not want you want to do after the race and your post-race soak in the tub and dinner at the brewery sounds better. I like the wine stopper medal - now that's a useful piece of bling!

@noblsheep congratulations on your HM as well, and beating your goal time! Well done! A well-timed rain shower would be welcome on some races for sure.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    So after yesterday’s half I feel a bit tired, some aches in the thighs and core, big blister on my toe, but nowhere as as sore as I thought I’d feel. There was a discount on next years event if we signed up within 24 hours - so I did! I have a 10k in August then the half next year. Advise me knowledgable people - do I keep doing long runs, or do I lay off for a while?

We can not. :) Only YOU can prevent forest fires.... wait wrong thread.

Anyways, the only legit advice will be to listen to you your body and ramp up as slowly or as fast as your body seems ready. Personally *I* take no time at all off from a half, and start running 1 day after a full or ultra - BUT I am stupid and crazy so not the best model in this case. ;)

Take a day, see how you feel, and then try running and see how it goes. Your blister will hinder you more than your muscles I bet. With time and experience, you will learn your body and how fast you can push it.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    So after yesterday’s half I feel a bit tired, some aches in the thighs and core, big blister on my toe, but nowhere as as sore as I thought I’d feel. There was a discount on next years event if we signed up within 24 hours - so I did! I have a 10k in August then the half next year. Advise me knowledgable people - do I keep doing long runs, or do I lay off for a while?

We can not. :) Only YOU can prevent forest fires.... wait wrong thread.

Anyways, the only legit advice will be to listen to you your body and ramp up as slowly or as fast as your body seems ready. Personally *I* take no time at all off from a half, and start running 1 day after a full or ultra - BUT I am stupid and crazy so not the best model in this case. ;)

Take a day, see how you feel, and then try running and see how it goes. Your blister will hinder you more than your muscles I bet. With time and experience, you will learn your body and how fast you can push it.

Sorry, failed my reading comprehension - you only asked about long runs not starting running back up in general.

OKAY - so that all depends on your goals. Do you WANT to build distance and speed? Then, keep doing long runs.

Do you just want to work speed? Then you can lay off long runs for now, BUT they would still help with speed so I would not. ;)

Do you not want to build anything, but just coast for a while and then restart hard training as your next long race approaches? Then do that, but know that your performance will suffer.

So what it really comes down to is how much YOU WANT to run farther and faster. If you do, then you need to keep up the long runs. If not then you have choices.