May 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 - Calvin and Hobbes are my favorite!! Clearly where my pup got his name :)
    @polskagirl01 - Hope you have a great visit to the US this summer! PA and VA are beautiful!
    @elise3214 - So glad you all are ok! Saw the tornado watch for your area and was worried - looked like the storms were going right over the area north of Dallas. I also have friends in Denton so hoping they are all ok too (haven't heard yet). I think that those of us who have never lived in an area with severe storms are probably a lot more freaked out by them than those that live there.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @polskagirl01 So roughly where in the States??
    In case one of our many mutual MFP Running Friends is close by for a meet and greet at an event?
    Like you I like to keep myself close to HM Ready ( recreational not race level ) as it is easier to maintain conditioning at that level than it is to do a build back up to it.
    Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania. @PastorVincent is probably the closest, though still probably a few hours away. We'll be traveling around PA and VA (Lynchburg area) some this summer but I'm not sure how much racing I'll be doing. I actually looked at PastorVincent's upcoming Hell Hath no Hurry race but can't do it schedule-wise.
    Basically now that I'm here and have the work travel schedule from my husband, and a kids' activity schedule from the grandparents, I need to sit down and see if any races will fit in-between the two. Will keep you all (or "yinz" in the local language) posted!

For now all I've got on the calendar is this:
    June 8: Daily American 5k/10k Challenge, Somerset, PA

exercise.png

I lived in Lynchburg, VA for 7 years. Their big race is a 10 miler, in the fall so I think you will miss that one. They have the normal smattering of 5ks, but I do not think they have much in the way of anything else major.

Too bad you can not make HHH - everyone I talked to so far said it is a great well run race.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @avidkeo Hope works isn't so boring today. I expected this to be healed by now... Eh, we're getting there.
    x3kolc7zdjqy.jpg.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Apparently today I needed a good run. My body and conscious brain did not know this, but my subconscious apparently did. I went out for what was supposed to be a standard 5 kilometres before work. Zoned out so completely I missed my turnaround point, by the time I realised that I'd gone 5km already. Impromptu weekday long run it is then! Good job I was going real slow anyway. I hadn't run more than 8km since the HM I ran back in December, so am expecting to feel it later.
    It actually works out well though. Not only do I feel awesome now, it gives me more days to recover before I do another long run (scheduled for Thursday next week as I'm running a little charity race on the Sunday) and also means I have space for two more 10km training runs before my 10km race on June 15th. Now I just have to work on shaving 3 minutes off my time so I don't miss the cut-off at said race :-/

May goal: 55km Run so far: 48.9km

those are my favorite runs, when you think you'll only do X distance then your legs and brain go Nah we are going to amp it up today cause we can! feels awesome. So glad to see you are doing so well!!!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Ohh @Avidkeo I'm all caught up on Sabrina. Loved it, of course. I am at day 76, so 11 weeks tomorrow. Hope no one breaks a legs, but also hope your day picks up. 😊
  • Elise4270
    edited May 2019
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    Goal is 55 miles this month.

5/1....3.12 miles
    5/2...3.09 miles
    5/4....13.1 miles (mini-marathon)
    5/9....6.63 miles
    5/16....4.15 miles.....slow miles, cool weather...nice breeze. Completed after working a 12 hour shift and attending a meeting at work.
    5/18....2.59 (treadmill)
    5/19...no workout due to thunderstorms
    5/20...8.99 miles (Monon trail).....cool weather approximately 62 degrees with occasional cool winds. Goal was to try to run 13 minute miles at up-tempo pace in order to build up my stamina. Noted that during most of my races, I became more fatigued after 9 miles. I was able to sprint easier and ran mile 6 at 12:24 and mile 7 at 17 seconds faster than mile 1 (repeated mile). Had ache in right hip after starting but went away after 2nd mile. Slept great last night.

Total is 41.67 miles.

@Elise4270....I hope that you stay safe. I saw on CNN, boats rescuing people in Oklahoma and heard that more tornadoes were on the way....scary stuff!

Wow! I kinda think I should rethink not watching tv and listen to local radio... wish @WhatMeRunning would pop in and let us know how Kansas is doing. Wait... aren’t you @midwesterner85 in Kansas? I still miss Chris. He was one of my running twins. Or @ceciliaslater how’s Tulsa area?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    ereck44 wrote: »
    Goal is 55 miles this month.

5/1....3.12 miles
    5/2...3.09 miles
    5/4....13.1 miles (mini-marathon)
    5/9....6.63 miles
    5/16....4.15 miles.....slow miles, cool weather...nice breeze. Completed after working a 12 hour shift and attending a meeting at work.
    5/18....2.59 (treadmill)
    5/19...no workout due to thunderstorms
    5/20...8.99 miles (Monon trail).....cool weather approximately 62 degrees with occasional cool winds. Goal was to try to run 13 minute miles at up-tempo pace in order to build up my stamina. Noted that during most of my races, I became more fatigued after 9 miles. I was able to sprint easier and ran mile 6 at 12:24 and mile 7 at 17 seconds faster than mile 1 (repeated mile). Had ache in right hip after starting but went away after 2nd mile. Slept great last night.

Total is 41.67 miles.

@Elise4270....I hope that you stay safe. I saw on CNN, boats rescuing people in Oklahoma and heard that more tornadoes were on the way....scary stuff!

Wow! I kinda think I should rethink not watching tv and listen to local radio... wish @WhatMeRunning would pop in and let us know how Kansas is doing. Wait... aren’t you @midwesterner85 in Kansas? I still miss Chris. He was one of my running twins. Or @ceciliaslater how’s Tulsa area?

Nope, I'm in Iowa.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Ohh @Avidkeo I'm all caught up on Sabrina. Loved it, of course. I am at day 76, so 11 weeks tomorrow. Hope no one breaks a legs, but also hope your day picks up. 😊

Ultimate catch 22 of my job. NEVER want to see anyone sick or injured, but need to be here just on case lol
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    05/01/19 :::: 4.0 :::: 4.0
    05/02/19 :::: 3.5 :::: 7.5
    05/03/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 7.5
    05/04/19 :::: 2.1 :::: 9.6
    05/05/19 :::: 10.2 :::: 19.8
    05/06/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 22.9
    05/07/19 :::: 1.1 :::: 24.0
    05/08/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 24.0
    05/09/19 :::: 2.8 :::: 26.8
    05/10/19 :::: 3.3 :::: 30.1
    05/11/19 :::: 3.1 :::: 33.2
    05/12/19 :::: 8.0 :::: 41.2
    05/13/19 :::: 4.0 :::: 45.1
    05/14/19 :::: 1.7 :::: 46.8
    05/15/19 :::: 3.1 :::: 49.9
    05/16/19 :::: 5.0 :::: 54.9
    05/17/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 57.9
    05/18/19 :::: 10.9 :::: 68.8
    05/19/19 :::: 2.4 :::: 71.2
    05/20/19 :::: 2.5 :::: 73.6
    05/21/19 :::: 4.3 :::: 77.9

Race report - JP Morgan Corporate Challenge (3.5 miles):
    Well, this was a bit of a mixed bag. The weather was pretty ideal at 59 degrees F and partly cloudy. A little wind off the lake but not terrible. I got there early because construction traffic is a nightmare right now, especially right after work, so I allowed plenty of extra time. Given that extra time, I took a short warm-up loop, which I don't usually do before races.

When they started announcing it was time to line up in the corrals some of us realized there was a problem with the bib colors and corrals. They had 4 colors of bibs - red, green, blue and white - with red for elites and white for walkers. The green and blue however, were obviously switched from what they should have been. I was a blue bib and expected to be in the second corral but was surprised that they announced green was second and blue was third. I thought I had put a time estimate down that should not have been that far back, especially when they started to say the blue was walkers and runners. A woman standing next to me said her friend had put down a 10-minute slower time and was in the green while she was in the blue with a similar time as I put down. As we looked at the green corral, there were people in jeans while runners I know to be fairly fast were back in the blue. So this did not bode well and I was highly annoyed.

I snuck up as best I could as we moved toward the start line but was clearly behind a lot of people intending to walk from the start. I admit I was a little snippy in asking walkers to move toward the right and I feel bad because they lined up as they were told (although common sense in not walking 5 people across would be nice). It was a seriously bad screw-up on someone's part.

Anyway, I was a bit aggressive in trying to get out of that pack in the beginning and ended up going out too fast in the first mile. Garmin logs it as my fastest mile, which may not be true but is probably my fastest mile split in a race. But I started to fade a bit and then was struggling in the second mile. I stopped for water, which I needed but was hard to get going again. My pace gradually decreased until about 2. 7 miles in. I took one more water stop and then talked myself into making a bit of a push to the finish. I was so happy to make the little bit of turn toward the finish line and I gave it a little more of a kick and then felt like collapsing crossing the line.

I felt like I should have done better and I was kind of disappointed. Last year I finished in 32:40 three days after running a half marathon, and tonight I thought with fresh legs I could probably beat that. But I ended up with 33:28. Those seconds at the water stops and going out too fast did me in.

Hugs that sounds so frustrating! and really they should have spotted their mistake early on. I gather you cannot change corrals once you are allocated? I've never been in an event like that so have no idea how it works.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic What an annoying mixup! I had to do some math to figure out your pace at the odd distance, pretty good finish even if it was slower than last year! How was the team spread?
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic that is so frustrating about the corral mixup! Hate it when things are so obviously wrong and it doesn't get corrected. Well good on you for getting through that mess and giving it your all. There will be other races.