May 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Eddie_Ice wrote: »
    @Eddie_Ice bad run days are totally normal and I think they happen to everyone. We call those Embrace the Suck runs here, lol, and I like to think of them as mental fortitude builders :D

Perfect name for it because that's what it was embracing the suck bug time. I refused to quit before I hit my planned three miles! I like that "mental fortitude builders" lol.

To emphasis this point we even have a Group Shirt to celebrate this fact.
  • Eddie_Ice
    Eddie_Ice Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @Eddie_Ice bad run days are totally normal and I think they happen to everyone. We call those Embrace the Suck runs here, lol, and I like to think of them as mental fortitude builders :D

Perfect name for it because that's what it was embracing the suck bug time. I refused to quit before I hit my planned three miles! I like that "mental fortitude builders" lol.

Ok so how do I purchase this lol. It says its out of stock!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Give this AI a writing prompt and it will give you a… well “a short story” :smile:

https://talktotransformer.com

It’s oddly almost good. Kind of like those really bad movies you watch because they are really bad. That kind of good I think.

Example:
    INPUT: If dogs are cats and cats are rabbits, does that imply that rabbits are dogs?
    COMPLETION: No — rabbits aren't animals at all. It's hard to know just how different a rabbit and a cat are from rabbits. I guess you could say that cats and rabbits are the same in more of a philosophical sense.
    A cat is a mammal that eats insects. Is that an animal, too?
    A cat and a dog are not the same thing, by all accounts. A cat is a mammal that eats bugs, an animal, in addition to eating a mouse.
    A cat is a cat!
    Exactly!
    In some ways, I don't think that many people take the concept seriously or understand it properly. I'm not going to explain the concept, but it's possible to start there.
    One of the biggest mistakes you can make is to assume that you know all this, the details of how animals are animals and so on. Some animals and plants that you know very well are animals, some of them they're plants. Just because you were taught a little bit about some animal doesn
    (and that is where it ends, mid-word! LOL)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

Ok so how do I purchase this lol. It says its out of stock!

Looks like it's just that color that out of stock. If you select a different color it lets you order it. You can also change the shirt, like a tank if you prefer.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Question for the group:
    What running magazine(s) do you subscribe to or read?

I used to have Runner's World but I don't like the changes they have made and that I can't access online articles any longer without a different, separate 'online subscription'.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Question for the group:

I used to have Runner's World but I don't like the changes they have made and that I can't access online articles any longer without a different, separate 'online subscription'.

I get Trail Runner magazine.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Question for the group:

I have a piggy back question, what do you like about the magazine.

I did RW for the longest time. Then let it lapse, I'm not running as often so it was just sad to look at.

I liked having that connection to the running world with the subscription. It helped me keep focused on what's potentially possible. I do have a RW cook book that it my favorite out of all the ones I have.

@ddmom0811 how's the diet change going? I'm really interested in changing mine in a similar fashion.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Question for the group:

I don't subscribe to any physical magazines, but browse running websites often. On RunnersWorld.com if you don't have an online subscription, you can still read the articles, but there is a limit (not sure of the number). To get around that limit, you just have to delete your browser cache, and then you can read again until you hit the limit. I just use a separate browser for that purpose, and that browser is set to always delete cache when the browser closes.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Question for the group:

None. I just read RW and etc online. I have never hit a paywall yet with them so my use must be low enough :)
  • tess453
    tess453 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Question for you all..

How did you build up distance? Particularly when running on your own I.e. non race days

I'm consistently stuck at 3-4 miles. I know I'm fit enough to run further (very occasionally surprise myself with a 5 miler) but it's like I've got a mental block where I get tired and bored.

Tried running with music/ without, dog/no dog.

Any tips would be great as I'd like to see some progression!
  • tess453
    tess453 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    tess453 wrote: »
    Question for you all..

How did you build up distance? Particularly when running on your own I.e. non race days

I'm consistently stuck at 3-4 miles. I know I'm fit enough to run further (very occasionally surprise myself with a 5 miler) but it's like I've got a mental block where I get tired and bored.

Tried running with music/ without, dog/no dog.

Any tips would be great as I'd like to see some progression!

Physically or mentally?

Physically the answer is easy. Add up to 10% each week to your longest run, and cut back every three or four weeks.

Mentally? That is much harder because it is specific to you. For me, I listen to audiobooks while I run. After a couple of miles in my mind is lost in the world of the story and I am no longer focused on time or distance.

Ultimately you have to decide you want it more than you want to stop. A plan does help because it gives you solid targets. Also races help as they give you a goal. "I want to run the so-and-so half marathon so I need to do this!"

Audiobooks is a good idea, Will defo give that a go!

Will also try the 10% too. I think I add too much extra and then get frustrated that I can't suddenly run an extra mile!

I think you're right. A lack of goals and also running the same routes are the main issues. But easily solved if I want to.