May 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary Your experience is why so many events ban the use of headphones - especially if you are doing any trails in the bush, mountains, extreme rough terrain where you need to be able to hear other contestants or secondary hazards. I know of events where the marshall's give you the option of turning in your headphones or your bib = DQ. If you can't hear the marshall and other runners you are a hazard at the event. It's one thing to be out for an easy recreational run with no crowds using headphones, bad to be in an event with a crowded field of runners and ignoring the etiquette of being aware of other athlete's and keep right unless passing.
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    However, there were more than a couple people running with cowbells during the 12k. THAT was annoying. Please don't run with cowbells.

Cowbells - were they afraid of bears? I feel the same way about Bear Bells.
    By the way Bear Bells are a Great Marketing Gimmick - there a waste of money - all they do is let the bear know where a free lunch is.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I always run with headphones. They are not always on (well almost always when I am running alone, but I often have them on and just calling pace in a big race), but there are in place to call outpace regardless. I am thinking about getting the Trekz headphones that do not go in your ear at all but use bone conducting. I tired them at the Expo this year and they actually work very well. You can both clearly hear and still have full awareness of noises around you.

These:
    https://aftershokz.com/products/trekz-titanium

Just do not have the cash right now.

I have the ear buds... er yurbuds... I have two pair. One hangs over your ear and lets you hear your surroundings the other are sweet and eliminates surrounding noise. St Jude’s sent them to me for a fancy donation. I can’t run with anything in my ears for very long. Both pair make my ears sore. So, I figure I’m just not meant to run with them. I get distracted anyway and try to dance or wanna fight, depends on what I’m listening too.

They have those Bluetooth ones now. I bet you could use one at an event and it not be a blatant violation or even noticed. Guys at work use one like that. And there are supposed to be some specifically for sports.

ETA I think @garygse tried some out and didn’t like them. I can’t remember specifically why. I do like the concept though.
    And
    I think I wanna pair now...

"Yurbuds" is not at all what I was talking about :) Look at the link, these do not go in or over the ear at all. They are bone conducting and leave your ear completely 100% unobstructed.

Oh yes I realized I wasn't clear. I was saying the yurbuds or Bluetooth ear piece ones might be a suitable alternative to the expensive ones. The bone conducting seems cool. But I wonder if the pressure would get irritating.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I always run with headphones. They are not always on (well almost always when I am running alone, but I often have them on and just calling pace in a big race), but there are in place to call outpace regardless. I am thinking about getting the Trekz headphones that do not go in your ear at all but use bone conducting. I tired them at the Expo this year and they actually work very well. You can both clearly hear and still have full awareness of noises around you.

These:

I have the ear buds... er yurbuds... I have two pair. One hangs over your ear and lets you hear your surroundings the other are sweet and eliminates surrounding noise. St Jude’s sent them to me for a fancy donation. I can’t run with anything in my ears for very long. Both pair make my ears sore. So, I figure I’m just not meant to run with them. I get distracted anyway and try to dance or wanna fight, depends on what I’m listening too.

They have those Bluetooth ones now. I bet you could use one at an event and it not be a blatant violation or even noticed. Guys at work use one like that. And there are supposed to be some specifically for sports.

ETA I think @garygse tried some out and didn’t like them. I can’t remember specifically why. I do like the concept though.
    And

"Yurbuds" is not at all what I was talking about :) Look at the link, these do not go in or over the ear at all. They are bone conducting and leave your ear completely 100% unobstructed.

Oh yes I realized I wasn't clear. I was saying the yurbuds or Bluetooth ear piece ones might be a suitable alternative to the expensive ones. The bone conducting seems cool. But I wonder if the pressure would get irritating.

I only wore them for like 5 mins at most in the expo do not sure. My wife needs hearing aids so bone conduction is a great option for her as it bypasses her eardrum. So probably at least one set in my future. At $100 USD a pair though might be a while.
  • Elise4270
    Options

These:

And

I only wore them for like 5 mins at most in the expo do not sure. My wife needs hearing aids so bone conduction is a great option for her as it bypasses her eardrum. So probably at least one set in my future. At $100 USD a pair though might be a while.

Way cool that the option exists for you wife. I hope it works out that you both can swing a pair!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Well, it's been 13 days since my last run, and I'm starting to get nervous about my race this weekend. Although my hips have been pain free since my PT appointment on Friday, I'm still getting daily twinges from my right knee (the OG problem child). I'd be willing to give it a go with the stretches and rolling the PT prescribed, except for the part where I got hit by a nasty cold on Saturday and am still fighting it off. If by fighting you mean attempting to stick to a normal schedule, getting completely exhausted walking up and down the stairs between my kitchen, bedroom, and office, and then skipping my workout so I can sleep through the middle of the day. Sigh.

I know that this too shall pass, but I really, really do not want to DNS on Sunday. It's a 10K and I haven't run more than five miles since February, which isn't awesome, especially since the PT recommended easing back into running gradually. I don't think she meant "sit in bed for a week then run your longest distance in three months".

Well, there is literally nothing I can do about it right now other than rest and see how I feel this weekend - no refunds or deferrals available. Either I feel up for it or I don't. The world will go on.

I would suggest you go for a short easy run the day or two before the race. I find that if I do not do that I am much stiffer at the race start and it makes the race seem harder than it should be.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

These:

And

I wear the bone conduction type and they don't have what I would call "pressure." There is some sound and there is vibration, but not pressure. They do seem to be more difficult with both sunglasses and headphones and a hat. See my profile photo... I was wearing bone conduction headphones, sunglasses, and a hat. And yes, I could hear and was talking to other runners ahead and behind me. Though I sometimes paused the music so I could talk while running without distraction of music.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Remember my unknown stomach issue in the marathon? FLIPPEN NUUN CHANGED their formula at some point and has STEVIA IN IT instead of sorbitol like it used to!

Stevia is in the ragweed family and I am allergic to it because of that :(

HASHTAG GRR!!! HASHTAG GRR!!!!!

Wow, that sucks! But amazing that you found the cause and now can find an alternative.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i think it's been awhile because i've had mine a bit and it has stevia
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,408 Member
    Options
    @tess453 - You are the 1st person I have 'met' here who also does agility with their dog! What kind of dog do you have and do you go to agility trials? My profile picture is of my pup at a recent trial.

@zeesparrow - aren't runs like that just the best!?!

@Elise4270 - I used to love my Yurbuds but the newer ones I bought to replace my old pair that stopped working, hurt my ears as well. I don't know it they changed the size or shape or what. I even trie using the bud covers from my old pair thinking that was the issue, nope.
    Remember my unknown stomach issue in the marathon? FLIPPEN NUUN CHANGED their formula at some point and has STEVIA IN IT instead of sorbitol like it used to!

Stevia is in the ragweed family and I am allergic to it because of that :(

HASHTAG GRR!!! HASHTAG GRR!!!!!

@PastorVincent - you might take a look at Skratch Labs - they don't have Stevia or sorbitol in their energy/recovery drinks or chews. Sorbitol upsets my stomach so I couldn't use NUUN before and I am not a fan of Stevia and depending on the Stevia product it is also often blended with other types of sugar alcohols.

Welcome @csilverthorn22! Many of us here have done or still do intervals. You can count any or all of it toward your goal - it is your goal and we aren't picky!

No running for me to day - it is a cross train day today anyways but I really was hurting last night. I guess in my little recovery run I pushed too hard. I have never felt like this after a race and have always been able to come right back and do a slow recovery run or two and then get right back into my normal running schedule. I guess it was the race course and my level of prep? Who knows, I am just not quite ready to write it off to getting older... I will see how I feel in the morning if I want to try again or just get out for a walk. It is supposed to be beautiful after rain and winds today.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Set out for an easy 6 miles during lunch which of course is why after checking my watch and seeing I ran 8... I was half an hour late getting back. OPS :smile:

Date...........Run.......Walk
    05/01........00M.......2.5M *tapering*
    05/02........00M.......4.0M *tapering*
    05/03........00M.......0.0M *tapering*
    05/04........03M.......0.0M Pittsburgh 5k
    05/05........26M.......0.0M Pittsburgh Marathon
    05/06........00M.......0.0M *tapering*
    05/07........07M.......0.0M *tapering*
    05/08........09M.......0.0M
    05/09........06M.......0.0M
    05/10........09M.......4.0M
    05/11........10M.......0.0M
    05/12........10M.......0.0M
    05/13........00M.......3.3M
    05/14........00M.......3.5M
    05/15........14M.......4.0M

---MTD: 21.3 miles walking, 85.3 miles running, and 0KM resting

Upcoming Races
    Hell Have No Hurry 50k Trail Race - June 2019
    Howl at the Moon - Nighttime 5k - August 2019
    <plus some others that I can not recall>

202? - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Hell Have No Hurry
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    5-1 injury idle
    5-2 rest
    5-3 injury idle
    5-4 injury idle
    5-5 injury idle
    5-6 rest
    5-7 3.5k slow
    5-8 7.5k slow
    5-9 rest
    5-10 7k easy
    5-11 11k slow
    5-12 7k recovery
    5-13 rest
    5-14 7k threshold
    5-15 7k recovery
    5-16 rest

May Total: 50k
    May Goal: 100k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k

Monthly average: 149.875k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen

Scheduled rest day today. Played golf instead, and it was a beautiful sunny day.

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-1 Freedom 5K (Will be off the schedule due to another commitment)
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K
  • Elise4270
    edited May 2019
    Options

These:

And

I wear the bone conduction type and they don't have what I would call "pressure." There is some sound and there is vibration, but not pressure. They do seem to be more difficult with both sunglasses and headphones and a hat. See my profile photo... I was wearing bone conduction headphones, sunglasses, and a hat. And yes, I could hear and was talking to other runners ahead and behind me. Though I sometimes paused the music so I could talk while running without distraction of music.

Hmm, interesting points. I have a child sized head and no hat fits. If I got these bone conducting ones, hats might fit. The sunglasses might be an issue though. It looks like you’re making it work. I’ll put them on the return to running* wish list.

ETA *cycling