May 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Eddie_Ice
    Eddie_Ice Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to mix up my post long run recovery meal, If I don't plan I will just devour whatever I get my hands on. Any tips on a solid recovery meal?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    tess453 wrote: »
    Question for you all..

How did you build up distance? Particularly when running on your own I.e. non race days

I'm consistently stuck at 3-4 miles. I know I'm fit enough to run further (very occasionally surprise myself with a 5 miler) but it's like I've got a mental block where I get tired and bored.

Tried running with music/ without, dog/no dog.

Any tips would be great as I'd like to see some progression!

As far as the mental block around getting tired and bored, the solution is to run somewhere where at 4 miles you are at least a mile away from where you need to be in order to quit. Walking is much more boring than running, so you run back!

There’s also bridge to 10k, which is for going from a 5k to a 10k distance, which might give you a program to follow.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    @tess453 - Another method is to run by time... so if it takes you 40 minutes to run 4 miles, try running for 45 or 50 and don't pay attention to the distance (turn off the app notifications). That way you aren't focusing on how far you ave run at all. I regularly update my running playlist with music that I like so it sounds fresh and not just the same songs all the time.
    Some here listen to podcasts and also have apps with a running story line. The one that comes to mind is Zombies Run...

@Eddie_ice - I think it to depends on when you run and what you nutritional goals are... that said I try to plan what I am going to eat ahead of time. I am not usually hungry after my long run so I need to make something I will eat and my go to is a smoothy with Greek yogurt, berries, peanut butter, spinach or kale and some protein powder. I also like to have cold orange slices when it is hot. Other than that I eat my normal planned meals for the rest of the day. If you are interested we have another sub-group here that is nutrition focused
    @7lenny7 used to post about his struggles with wanting to eat everything so maybe he can provide more insight...
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    @Eddie_Ice I plan ahead to eat everything that’s not nailed down on long run days. Usually fries or sweet potato fries, plus bbq or a burger, or Mediterranean food, or pasta. So far it’s been working for me, my maintenance weight stays at about what is predicted by my logging. But for me half the point of a long run is getting to eat whatever I want (within reason). I’m diabetic and after a long run I can suck down about three times my normal amount of carbs without a blood glucose spike. And even pigging out freely I usually have some extra calories from the run to bank for the next day.

What are your nutritional goals? Are you trying to lose weight at the moment?
  • Eddie_Ice
    Options
    @shanaber + @rheddmobile I like the idea of a post run shake, I want to have something that really feeds my body with high nutritional value before I eat a large pizza for the heck of it. I am trying to lose a little weight but my primary running goals are to keep the weight off so I can continue drinking beer. I make my own and its hard having that much beer in the house and not having a gut so running is my pathway to guilt free beer consumption. I've also started lifting trying to give my body some definition, I do not want to go all bulk but I do want to maximize some lean muscle. I think yogurt, berries and protein might be the way to go maybe get wild and throw in a banana lol.
  • rheddmobile
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Eddie_Ice wrote: »
    @shanaber + @rheddmobile I like the idea of a post run shake, I want to have something that really feeds my body with high nutritional value before I eat a large pizza for the heck of it. I am trying to lose a little weight but my primary running goals are to keep the weight off so I can continue drinking beer. I make my own and its hard having that much beer in the house and not having a gut so running is my pathway to guilt free beer consumption. I've also started lifting trying to give my body some definition, I do not want to go all bulk but I do want to maximize some lean muscle. I think yogurt, berries and protein might be the way to go maybe get wild and throw in a banana lol.

Sounds great! Greek yogurt, frozen berries, a tablespoon of almond butter, a capful of vanilla extract, and a scoop of 100% cacao powder is my thing right now. If you like dark chocolate, cacao powder is like magic, turns any food into chocolate. And it’s full of antioxidants so no guilt!

Frozen honeydew melon tastes so good in the summer after a run. That’s my side with bbq instead of bbq beans, when I’m trying to be virtuous.
  • Eddie_Ice
    Options

Sounds great! Greek yogurt, frozen berries, a tablespoon of almond butter, a capful of vanilla extract, and a scoop of 100% cacao powder is my thing right now. If you like dark chocolate, cacao powder is like magic, turns any food into chocolate. And it’s full of antioxidants so no guilt!

Thanks that sounds good as hell! I'm going to try that on sunday!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    tess453 wrote: »
    Question for you all..

How did you build up distance? Particularly when running on your own I.e. non race days

I'm consistently stuck at 3-4 miles. I know I'm fit enough to run further (very occasionally surprise myself with a 5 miler) but it's like I've got a mental block where I get tired and bored.

Tried running with music/ without, dog/no dog.

Any tips would be great as I'd like to see some progression!

I was stuck at 3-4 miles for a while last year. Eventually I started running slower (even though I already thought I was running really slow) and that made running farther a lot easier physically. Mentally, I really enjoy the exploration opportunities from running farther, so made sure to map out my longer runs to places that I hadn't been and wanted to check out. Admittedly this will vary by your location.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Love this ^^
    Ya know they have hats and shirts that say 'will run for beer' 🤣 (I actually have the wine version)!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Love this ^^
    Ya know they have hats and shirts that say 'will run for beer' 🤣 (I actually have the wine version)!

Running for wine and/or beer is a completely worthy cause :D
  • Eddie_Ice
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »

"Give runners a fish, and they'll eat today. Teach runners to make beer, and they'll never lack friends."

Its a fun hobby and I'm never out of beer. I have a three tap kegerator that holds 15 gallons of whatever I've brewed year round!
  • shanaber
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »

"Give runners a fish, and they'll eat today. Teach runners to make beer, and they'll never lack friends."

Its a fun hobby and I'm never out of beer. I have a three tap kegerator that holds 15 gallons of whatever I've brewed year round!

So umm... @Eddie_Ice where do you live and when can we visit? I will bring the post group run pizza to have with that beer! Hope you have lots of room cause we are a big crowd! 🤣