May 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    10 ugly miles this morning. Felt like the hottest run of the year so far. Took it slower than almost any weekend run, and felt horrible. Don't know why. Probably thinking too much about the new job starting Tuesday. Have worked for the last 20+ years basically by myself. Now am going to be part of a 6 member development team. Going to take a lot of getting used to. Actually really dreading it 😣.

Pretend they are all runners. And it is so humid here, figure it is for you too.

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    Depending on how it is done it could be great, or bad. I left my last job because they introduced "Extreme Programming" which is where all the devs share a TABLE. Not a cube, or a desk, but a table. Not only that it was TWO DEVELOPERS PER COMPUTER - AT THE SAME TIME.

I hard noped right out of that. Stunk too. I really liked working there before they changed to that model. Most of their senior and experienced programmers left when I did. Was a massive brain drain. I would feel bad, save I spent months fighting the change and warning them what would happen if they pushed ahead. I pulled the eject handle about a month or two before my department was going to make the switch. Ah well, my new job pays 10% more at least.

In my new job, I am part of a small team, but we have our own desks, and computers :)

That sounds like a HORRIBLE idea! Who would think that would be a productive, efficient working environment? If they had any idea how most software developers work, they would NEVER have suggested that. Good for you (and everyone else) for showing them what you thought of that, and got the heck out of there!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    10 ugly miles this morning. Felt like the hottest run of the year so far. Took it slower than almost any weekend run, and felt horrible. Don't know why. Probably thinking too much about the new job starting Tuesday. Have worked for the last 20+ years basically by myself. Now am going to be part of a 6 member development team. Going to take a lot of getting used to. Actually really dreading it 😣.

exercise.png

Depending on how it is done it could be great, or bad. I left my last job because they introduced "Extreme Programming" which is where all the devs share a TABLE. Not a cube, or a desk, but a table. Not only that it was TWO DEVELOPERS PER COMPUTER - AT THE SAME TIME.

I hard noped right out of that. Stunk too. I really liked working there before they changed to that model. Most of their senior and experienced programmers left when I did. Was a massive brain drain. I would feel bad, save I spent months fighting the change and warning them what would happen if they pushed ahead. I pulled the eject handle about a month or two before my department was going to make the switch. Ah well, my new job pays 10% more at least.

In my new job, I am part of a small team, but we have our own desks, and computers :)

I'm not a developer but even I can tell making developers share computers would be a hard nope. Seriously did they just not listen to reason at all in a new "trying to be hip" thing or something?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

exercise.png

I'm not a developer but even I can tell making developers share computers would be a hard nope. Seriously did they just not listen to reason at all in a new "trying to be hip" thing or something?

They are getting kids just out of college desperate for their first "real programming job" to do the work now. I know someone that is still working there (she does not have a strong of a resume as me and has not gotten out yet) that told me it is going pretty much exactly as expected.

I had tried a very informed approach. Sent them surveys and studies backing up my position that it was an insane idea. They pretty much ignored me.

When HR asked we why I was leaving at my exit interview I told them "I used to love working here, but not enough to go down with a sinking ship." heh.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

That sounds like a HORRIBLE idea! Who would think that would be a productive, efficient working environment? If they had any idea how most software developers work, they would NEVER have suggested that. Good for you (and everyone else) for showing them what you thought of that, and got the heck out of there!

Look up Pivotal software. They did it there and claim all kinds of success - which I doubt. Home Depot copied that model, and the guy that enacted it there, left before it could fail and went to my old workplace as CTO or some other C-level title I do not recall for sure. He brought the model with him. I suspect he will ditch that job and move one before they reap what he sowed too.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

exercise.png

Ye gods - my husband can’t even handle being in the same COUNTRY as his fellow devs.

Fifteen years ago all the programmers for Epic had their desks in the basement in the dark like troglodytes. Now as I understand it the fad is for all offices to look like a Starbucks with big shared tables. But how do you share a computer? Seriously, my husband wants me to ask you, how is that theoretically supposed to work?

Edit: nvm, looked up Pivotal and read wiki article on Pair Programming. It may or may not work for code writers (supposedly 95% of them claimed to prefer it, but it doubled coding time) but sounds insane for working artists.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

exercise.png

Ye gods - my husband can’t even handle being in the same COUNTRY as his fellow devs.

Fifteen years ago all the programmers for Epic had their desks in the basement in the dark like troglodytes. Now as I understand it the fad is for all offices to look like a Starbucks with big shared tables. But how do you share a computer? Seriously, my husband wants me to ask you, how is that theoretically supposed to work?

Edit: nvm, looked up Pivotal and read wiki article on Pair Programming. It may or may not work for code writers (supposedly 95% of them claimed to prefer it, but it doubled coding time) but sounds insane for working artists.

Actually, in real life, it is horrible. Way more than doubles cost in man-hours is far more bug-prone, and quickly lowers morale among developers. Every developer, without exception, that I personally know hates it and looks for work elsewhere. In jobs situations like I left they have to "grin and bear it" until they secure paychecks elsewhere.

Plenty of research backs that up too. I sent bundles of it to my prior boss. Doubt they ever read it. I think it might work better for front end developers, but I do not live in that world.

As I said, I punched out of a job I was happy at because of it. I would likely go back and even take the pay cut if they would reverse this decision. Trust me, in the trenches it is bad. Devs are smart enough to "grin and bear it" while their livelihood depends on it, but we talk to each other.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 Have they asked for any ideas/feedback from the front line staff ( you ) about the so called Development Team? I like my personal space at work , at home every where. Give me an outline of the work, give me the software and get out of my way.

@PastorVincent @rheddmobile
    I don't do software development but I do a lot of equipment configuration and programming. I have 2 laptops for my work - the reason is operational efficiency. ( everyone in my unit has at least 2 Laptop's )
    We all know that certain process's/upgrades require multiple steps requiring that the Programming Computer not be disconnected/interrupted. So while PC #1 is doing it's thing I can continue with other activities using the other computer. When the first computer Beeps ( volume to max ) I can then start the next step of the process's with out worrying about cross contamination error's. Strange how some CTO etc can move from Corporation to Corporation with ideas that haven't been Time Tested and Field proven.

An example of that is the No Zero's Educational Model that some school districts had adopted that are now coming back to hurt the students as standard entry test's don't lie. Imagine not handing in any work, not writing test's and still getting a passing mark. Once in University/College/tech schools you can quickly see who has done the work and who hasn't. Some Canadian Universities were even starting to place certain School Districts/Schools on a Admission review list because students coming out of them were getting Uni Exam marks significantly below the average and had higher drop out/failure rates.